, PhD, Professor, Trade Co-operative University of Moldova
, PhD, Associate Professor, Head of the Teaching-Methodic Department, Sumy State University, Ukraine
, Head of International Affairs Office, Sumy State University, Ukraine
The paper is dedicated to identifying the role of internal and external stakeholders in Higher Education system in Ukraine. Stakeholder analysis provides for identifying the most important stakeholder groups with direct and indirect influence on the HEIs. Therefore, the aim of this paper is to carry out an identification and categorization of stakeholders of HEIs. A list of stakeholders for HEIs is provided in the paper. The authors suggested deepening their stratification according to the following classification criteria: location, level of responsibility, level of influence on decision-making concerning activities of a HEI, form of performance of influence, scale of influence, financial ties, involvement status, potential for cooperation and threat, the stakeholders’ stakes, types of stakeholders’ interests, attributes power, legitimacy and urgency, significance level. In the article, the authors develop a model for selection and harmonization of stakeholder interests, which includes the following components: analysis and selection of key stakeholder groups, alignment of interests and needs of stakeholders and management decisions, taking into account the interests of stakeholder groups.
Keywords: higher education institutions, system of quality assurance, stakeholders, internal stakeholders, external stakeholders, stakeholder analysis.
JEL Classification: M00, M12.
Cite as: Savga, L., Krykliy, O., Kyrychenko, K. (2018). The Role of Internal and External Stakeholders in Higher Education System in Ukraine. Business Ethics and Leadership, 2(1), 32-43. Doi: 10.21272/bel.2(1).32-43.2018
- Alves, H., Mainardes, E. W., & Raposo, M. (2010). A relationship approach to higher education institution stakeholder management. Tertiary Education and Management, 16(3), 159-181.
- Avci Ö., Ring E., Mitchelli L. (2015). Stakeholders in U.S. higher education: an analysis through two theories of stakeholders. Resource document. http://dergipark.gov.tr/download/article-file/323147. Accessed 25 December 2017.
- Bary`shevs`ka, I. V., Korabaxina, Yu. (2016). Osobly`vosti vply`vu stejkxolderiv na rozvy`tok osvitn`ogo prostoru vy`shhogo navchal`nogo zakladu [Features of the influence of stakeholders on the development of the educational space of a higher educational institution]. Resource document. http://22.214.171.124:8080/jspui/bitstream/123456789/1910/1/stattia_Barishevskaya_Korabahina_2016.pdf. Accessed 25 December 2017.
- Beerkens M., Udam M. (2017). Stakeholders in Higher Education Quality Assurance: Richness in Diversity? Resource document. Higher Educat ion Policy. https://doi.org/10.1057/s41307-016-0032-6. Accessed 25 December 2017.
- Bjørkquist, C. (2009). Stakeholder Influence in Higher Education – Old Ideas in New Bottles? Resource document. Dissertation Karlstad University Studies. http://www.diva-portal.org/smash/get/diva2:241378/FULLTEXT02.pdf. Accessed 25 December 2017.
- Blair, J.D., Fottler M.D (1990). Challenges in Health Care Management: Strategic Perspectives for Managing Key Stakeholders. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass. 408 p.
- Burrows, J. (1999). Going Beyond Labels: A Framework for Profiling Institutional Stakeholders. Contemporary Education, 70(4), 5-10.
- Chapleo, C., Simms, C. (2010). Stakeholder analysis in higher education A case study of the University of Portsmouth. Resource document. https://doi.org/10.1080/13603100903458034. Accessed 25 December 2017.
- Clarkson, M. (1995). A stakeholder framework for analysing and evaluating corporate social performance. Academy of Management Review, 20(1), 92-117.
- De Wit, K., Verhoeven, J. C. (2000). Stakeholders in universities and colleges in Flanders. European Journal of Education, 35(4), 421-437.
- Development of the Quality Assurance System for Higher Education in Ukraine: Information and Analytical Review. General edition by Kalashnikova S., Lukhovii V. (2015). Resource document. https://ihed.org.ua/images/biblioteka/Rozvitok_sisitemi_zabesp_yakosti_VO_UA_2015.pdf. Accessed 25 December 2017.
- Dew, John. R. (1997). Quality-Centered Strategic Planning: A Step-By-Step Guide (Productivity’s Shopfloor). New York, Quality Resources Press. 240 p.
- Freeman, R. E. (1984). Strategic Management: A Stakeholder Approach. Boston, Pitman. 275 p.
- Friedman, A. L., Miles, S. (2006). Stakeholders: Theory and Practice. Oxford, Oxford University Press. 360 p.
- Jongbloed, B., Enders, J., & Salerno, C. (2008). Higher education and its communities: Interconnections, interdependencies and a research agenda. Resource document. Higher education, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10734-008-9128-2. Accessed 25 December 2017.
- Kettunen, J. (2015). Stakeholder relationships in higher education. Resource document. Tertiary Education and Management. https://doi.org/10.1080/13583883.2014.997277. Accessed 25 December 2017.
- Leisyte L., Westerheijden D.F. (2014) Stakeholders and Quality Assurance in Higher Education. In: Eggins H. (eds) Drivers and Barriers to Achieving Quality in Higher Education. Rotterdam, SensePublishers, 182 p.
- Mainardes, E., Alves, H., & Raposo, M. (2012). A model for stakeholder classification and stakeholder relationships. Resource document. Management Decision. https://doi:10.1108/00251741211279648. Accessed 25 December 2017.
- Mainardes, E., Alves, H., & Raposo, M. (2013). Identifying stakeholders in a Portuguese university: a case study. Resource document. Revista de Educación. https://doi:10.4438/1988-592X-RE-2012-362-167. Accessed 25 December 2017.
- Maric, I. (2013). Stakeholder analysis of higher education institutions. Resource document. Interdisciplinary Description of Complex Systems. https://doi: 10.7906/indecs.11.2.4. Accessed 25 December 2017.
- Matlay, H. (2011). The influence of stakeholders on developing enterprising graduates in UK HEIs. Resource document. International Journal of Entrepreneurial Behavior & Research. https://doi.org/10.1108/13552551111114923. Accessed 25 December 2017.
- Melewar, T. C., Akel, S. (2005). The role of corporate identity in the higher education sector: A case study. Resource document. Corporate Communications: An International Journal. https:// doi: 10.1108/13563280510578196. Accessed 25 December 2017.
- Mitchell, R. K., Agle, B. R., & Wood, D. J. (1997). Towards a theory of stakeholder identification and salience: defining the principle of who and what really counts. Resource document. http://www.jstor.org/stable/pdfplus/259247.pdf. Accessed 25 December 2017.
- Monitory`ng integraciyi ukrayins`koyi sy`stemy` vy`shhoyi osvity` v Yevropejs`ky`j prostir vy`shhoyi osvity` ta naukovogo doslidzhennya: monitory`ng. doslidzh. : analit. zvit [Monitoring the integration of the Ukrainian higher education system into the European space of higher education and research] / Mizhnarod. blagod. Fond “Mizhnarod. Fond doslidzh. osvit. polity`ky`”. Ky`yiv, Takson, 2014, 144 (In Ukrainian).
- Panchy`shy`n, S. M., Gry`n`kevy`ch, O. S. (2017). Ponyattyevy`j aparat insty`tucijnogo analizu konkurentospromozhnosti sy`stemy` vy`shhoyi osvity` [The Conceptual Apparatus of Institutional Analysis of the Competitiveness of the Higher Education System]. Ekonomika rozvy`tku, 1(81), 50-58. (In Ukrainian).
- Paraschivescu, A., Şavga, L. (2016). Quality Education. Resource document. Economy Transdisciplinarity Cognition. http://www.ugb.ro/Downloads/Info%20Studenti /20162017/etc2016no2/03_Paraschivescu,Savga.pdf. Accessed 25 December 2017.
- Pucciarelli, F., Kaplan, A. (2016). Competition and strategy in higher education: Managing complexity and uncertainty. Resource document. Business Horizons. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bushor.2016.01.003. Accessed 25 December 2017.
- Reavill, L. R. P. (2009). Quality assessment and the stakeholder model of higher education. Resource document. Total Quality Management. https://doi.org/10.1080/09544129710143. Accessed 25 December 2017.
- Reform of higher education in Ukraine: the implementation of the profile law in 2014-2016. Resource document. http://parlament.org.ua/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/HE-shadow-report-final.pdf. Accessed 25 December 2017.
- Rosa, M. J., Teixeira, P. (2014). Policy reforms, Trojan horses, and imaginary friends: The role of external stakeholders in Internal Quality Assurance Systems. Higher Education Policy, 27(2), 219-237.
- Rosa, M. J., Sarrico, C. S. and Amaral, A. (2012). Implementing Quality Management Systems in Higher Education Institutions, Quality Assurance and Management. In Savsar, M., Ed., InTech JanezaTrdine, Rijeka, pp. 129-146.
- Şavga, L. (2013). Quality Assurance of Higher Education in Terms of the National Education Performance and Competitiveness Growth. Economy Transdisciplinarity Cognition. Bacău, România: George Bacovia University Publishing House, 16(2), 43-48. ISSN 2068 – 7389. Available: http://www.ugb.ro/etc/etc2013no2/09_Savga.pdf.
- Sin, C., Amaral, A. (2017). Academics’ and employers’ perceptions about responsibilities for employability and their initiatives towards its development. Resource document. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10734-016-0007-y. Accessed 25 December 2017.
- Slabá, M. (2015). Stakeholder Groups of Public and Private Universities in the Czech Republic – Identification, Categorization and Prioritizatio. Resource document. Review of economic perspectives, 15(3), 305-326.
- Smenty`na, N.V., Xusainov, R.V. (2014). Social`na vidpovidal`nist` vy`shhy`x navchal`ny`x zakladiv: konceptual`ny`j analiz [Social responsibility of higher educational institutions: conceptual analysis]. Naukovy`j visny`k Xersons`kogo derzhavnogo universy`tetu, 9(2), 20-25. (In Ukrainian).
- Standards and Guidelines for Quality Assurance in the European Higher Education Area (ESG). (2015). Resource document. http://www.enqa.eu/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/ESG_2015.pdf. Accessed 25 December 2017.
- Ty`moshenkov, I. V., Nashhekina, O. M. (2012). Sub’yekty`, agenty`, aktory` i stejkxoldery` v ekonomichny`x doslidzhennyax osvity` [Subjects, Agents, Actors and Stakeholders in Economic Studies in Education]. Vcheni zapy`sky` Xarkivs`kogo gumanitarnogo universy`tetu «Narodna ukrayins`ka akademiya», 18(1), 167-176. (In Ukrainian).
- Ulewicz, R. (2017). The role of stakeholders in quality assurance in higher education. Resource document. Human Resources Management & Ergonomics. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/317301877_The_role_of_stakeholders_in_quality_assurance_in_higher_education. Accessed 25 December 2017.
- Vann, M. (2012). Stakeholders’ perceptions of quality in Cambodian higher education, Ph.D. Dissertation, RMIT University, Melbourne, Australia. Resource document. http://researchbank.rmit.edu.au/eserv/rmit:160093/Vann.pdf&gathStatIcon=true. Accessed 25 December 2017.