, Ph.D., Professor, Honorary Professor of Krakow Academy im. A. F. Modzhevsky, Krakow, Poland.
The article shows the influence of transformation processes in higher education to lower academic standards, changes and deformation in ethical field of global and national higher education. We considered the genesis and modern standards of academic integrity, especially their support in the European region, the real state of the academic culture of all participants in Ukrainian educational and scientific process. Authors analyzed the role of the Law of Ukraine “On Higher Education” (2014) in creation a system to counter the further spread of academic corruption. The importance of global education community was traced to confirm the values, norms, traditions, practices and intentions that form the moral core, shape individual and collective reputation of the Ukrainian academic community.
Keywords: academic integrity, moral standards, university ethos, global education community, reputation, environment and network response.
JEL Classification: A20, A22.
Cite as: Finikov, T. (2017). Academic integrity: global context and national needs. Business Ethics and Leadership, 1(1), 63-73. Doi: 10.21272/bel.2017.1-08
- Trends in Global Higher Education: Tracking an Academic Revolution (2009). A Report Prepared for the UNESCO 2009 World Conference on Higher Education. Philip G. Altbach, Liz Reisberg, Laura E. Rumbley. Executive Summary, Published in 2009 by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization. Paris, р. iii.
- Becher T., Trowler, P. (2001). Academic Tribes and Territories: Intellectual Enquiry and the Cultures of Disciplines, 2nd ed. Philadelphia: Open University Press. p. XIII.
- Trends in Global Higher Education: Tracking an Academic Revolution (2009). A Report Prepared for the UNESCO 2009 World Conference on Higher Education. Philip G. Altbach, Liz Reisberg, Laura E. Rumbley. Executive Summary, Published in 2009 by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization. Paris, р.iii – iv.
- The Fundamental Values of Academic Integrity. The Center for Academic Integrity. October 1999.
Retrieved from: http://www.academicintegrity.org/icai/about-4.php
- International Center for Academic Integrity. Retrieved from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
- This R. Merton article was republished: Merton R.K. The Normative Structure of Science // The Sociology of Science: Theoretical and Empirical Investigations Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1973. p. 267-278.
- Abbott, A. (1988). The System of Professions: An Essay on the Division of Expert Labor. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- The Academic Profession. National, Disciplinary and Institutional Settings / B. Clark (ed.). Berkeley: University of California Press, 1987.
- The Bucharest Declaration concerning Ethical Values and Principles for Higher Education in the Europe Region. Retrieved from: http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/03797720500083922?journalCode=chee20 doi: 10.1080/03797720500083922
- The Bucharest Declaration concerning Ethical Values and Principles for Higher Education in the Europe Region. Retrieved from: Retrieved from: http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/03797720500083922?journalCode=chee20 doi: 10.1080/03797720500083922
- The Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers. Retrieved from: https://www.sussex.ac.uk/webteam/gateway/file.php?name=european-charter-and-code-of-conduct-2005-vitae.pdf&site=377
- Friedland, R., Alford, R.R. (1991). Bringing Society Back. Symbols, Practices, and Institutional Contradictions: The New Institutionalism in Organizational Analysis. W.W. Powell, P.J. DiMaggio (eds.). Chicago: p. 243.
- New IAU-MCO Guidelines for an Institutional Code of Ethics in Higher Education. Retrieved from: http://www.iau-aiu.net/content/new-iau-mco-guidelines-institutional-code-ethics-higher-education
- Etined Ethical Principes. Retrieved from: https://www.coe.int/t/DG4/EDUCATION/etined/Etined
- Ian Smith, Tom Hamilton (2016). ETINED Council of Europe Platform on Ethics, Transparency and Integrity in Education. Volume 2 – Ethical principles.
- Ethics transparency integrity in education programme of activities. Retrieved from: http://www.coe.int/en/web/ethics-transparency-integrity-in-education/programme-of-activities.
- Transparency International “PEOPLE AND CORRUPTION: EUROPE AND CENTRAL ASIA 2016. Global Corruption Barometer”. Retrieved from: https://www.transparency.org/whatwedo/publication/7493
- Academic Ukrainian culture students: the main factors shaping and development. Retrieved from: http://www.univer.kharkov.ua/images/redactor/news/2015-07-17/2015.pdf
- Law of Ukraine “Higher Education” Retrieved from: http://zakon4.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/1556-18
- Raven, J. (2002). Competence in modern society: identification, development and implementation
p. 281 – 296.
- Ben-David, D. The role of the scientist in society. New literary review, 2014, p. 327-328.
- Saks M. The Professions, State and the Market: Medicine in Britain, the United States and Russia 2015. Routledge, New York. Retrieved from: https://goo.gl/4gYpah
- The International Center for Academic Integrity Retrieved from: http://www.academicintegrity.org/icai/
- Journal of Academic Ethics: Retrieved from: http://link.springer.com/journal/10805 DOI:10.1007/s
- Journal of Academic and Business Ethics. Retrieved from: http://www.aabri.com/jabe.html
- Journal of Academic Ethics: Retrieved from: http://link.springer.com/journal/10805 DOI: 10.1007/s10805-017-9273-2
- Online document: Retrieved from: http://www.aabri.com/jabe.html
- Globethics library. Retrieved from: http://www.globethics.net/library/overall-search
- Globethics conferences: Retrieved from: http://www.globethics.net/web/gef/conference-2016
- Global Ethics Forum 2016 Higher Education – Ethics in Action: The Value of Values across Sectors (2016). Retrived from: http://www.globethics.net/documents/4289936/20165854/GE_Reports_GEF_2016_
- Ethics in Higher Education: Values-driven Leaders for the Future (2017). / Divya Singh, Christoph Stückelberger (Eds.) Online document: http://www.globethics.net/documents/4289936/
- Academic Integrity. Retrieved from: http://academicintegrity.curtin.edu.au/
- Curtin University. Life. Retrieved from: http://life.curtin.edu.au/learning-support/improve-your-skills.htm
- Curtin Library: Retrieved from: http://libguides.library.curtin.edu.au/endnote-online
- United Nations Development Programme. Fighting Corruption in the Education Sector: Methods, Tools and Good Practices. (2011). Retrieved from: : http://www.undp.org/content/dam/undp/library/Democratic%20Governance/IP/Anticorruption%20Methods%20and%20Tools%20in%20Education%20Lo%20Res.pdf
- Transparency International. Global Corruption Report: Education. (2013). Retrieved from: http://www.transparency.org/gcr_education.
- Jacques Hallak, Muriel Poisson (2007). Corrupt schools, corrupt universities: What can be done? Online document: http://unesdoc.unesco.org/images/0015/001502/150259e.pdf.