, PhD, Assistant Professor, Sumy State University, Ukraine
, PhD, Postdoctoral Researcher, Aalto University School of Arts, Design and Architecture, Helsinki, Finland
This article compares plagiarism detection systems according to the list of criteria, compiled from the most challenging and important features for users in Ukrainian higher educational institutions. In addition it describes types of text-based plagiarism and provides an overview of the most common and serious forms of plagiarism around the world and in Ukraine in particular.
The authors carried out a comparative analysis of three plagiarism detection systems − Turnitin, Unicheck, eTXT − and highlighted advantages and disadvantages of each one for the use in Ukraine. However, in further studies there are might be a need for revising and expanding the list of criteria depending on the subject and the aim of using plagiarism checkers.
Keywords: plagiarism, plagiarism detection system, text-based plagiarism, plagiarism forms.
JEL Classification: I23, I29.
Cite as: Shkodkina, Yu., Pacauskas, D. (2017). Comparative Analysis of Plagiarism Detection Systems. Business Ethics and Leadership, 1(3), 27-35. DOI: 10.21272/bel.1(3).27-35.2017
- Analitychna dovidka za rezultatamy doslidzhennia praktyk akademichnoi dobrochesnosti u vyshchykh navchalnykh zakladakh Ukrainy. Ministerstvo osvity i nauky Ukrainy. Instytut osvitnoi analityky (2016). Kyiv.
- Badge, J., & Scott, J. Dealing with plagiarism in the digital age (2009). Retrieved from http://evidencenet.pbworks.com/f/Badge_Scott_plagiarism.pdf.
- Bretag, T. & Mahmud, S. (2009). A model for determining student plagiarism: Electronic detection and academic judgement. Journal of University Teaching & Learning Practice, 6(1). Available at http://ro.uow.edu.au/jutlp/vol6/iss1/6.
- Bull, J., Colins, C., Coughlin, E. & Sharp, D. (2000). Technical review of plagiarism detection software report. Retrieved from http://www.jisc.ac.uk/media/documents/programmes/plagiarism/southbank.pdf. Accessed 31 October, 2009.
- English Oxford Dictionaries. Available at https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/plagiarism.
- ETXT website. Available at https://www.etxt.ru.
- Goddard, R., & Rudzki, R. (2005). Using an electronic text-matching tool (turnitin) to detect plagiarism in a new Zealand university. Journal of University Teaching & Learning Practice, 2(3).
- IED (2015). Academic Culture of Ukrainian Student Community: Primary Factors of Formation and Development, Kyiv. Available at http:// iro.org.ua/uploads/96491691.pdf.
- Jensen, J., & De Castell, S. (2004). ‘Turn it in’: Technological challenges to academic ethics. Education, Communication & Information, 4(2), 311-330.
- McCabe, D. (2005). Cheating among college and university students: A North American perspective. International Journal for Educational Integrity, 1(1). Available at https://www.ojs.unisa.edu.au/index.php/IJEI/article/view/14/9.
- Mulcahy, S., & Goodacre, C. (2004). Opening pandora’s box of academic integrity: Sing plagiarism detection software. Beyond the Comfort Zone: Proceeedings of the 21st ASCILITE Conference, 688-696.
- OECD Reviews of Integrity in Education: Ukraine 2017. Academic dishonesty − cheating and plagiarism in Ukrainian higher education. Available at http://dx.doi.org/10.1787/9789264270664-13-en.
- Phillips, V. (2015). Turnitin Report. Available at https://www.geteducated.com/elearning-education-blog/10-types-of-plagiarism-and-academic-cheating/.
- Purdy, J. (2005). Calling off the hounds: Technology and the visibility of plagiarism. Pedagogy, 5(2), 275-296.
- Roig, M. (2006). Avoiding plagiarism, self-plagiarism, and other questionable writing practices: A guide to the ethical writing. Retrieved from http://facpub.stjohns.edu/~roigm/plagiarism/Index.html. Accessed 29 January 2008.
- Royce, J. (2003). Trust or trussed? Has turnitin.com got it all wrapped up? Teacher Librarian, 30(4).
- Stein, Benno; Koppel, Moshe; Stamatatos, Efstathios (2007). Plagiarism Analysis, Authorship Identification, and Near-Duplicate Detection PAN’07. SIGIR Forum, 41(2).
- Survey Summery (2013). Research Ethics: Decoding Plagiarism and Attribution in Research. Researcher Insights into the Types of Plagiarism & Attribution Issues. Available at https://www.ithenticate.com/resources/infographics/types-of-plagiarism-research.
- Turnitin website. Available at http://www.turnitin.com.
- Unicheck website. Available at https://unicheck.com.
- Warn, J. (2006). Plagiarism software: No magic bullet! Higher Education Research and Development, 25, 195-208.