, Assistant, Research Support Office, Stockholm University, Sweden
, PhD, leading specialist, Family Support Center, Sumy State University, Ukraine
, PhD, Assosiate Professor, Head of the Department of Psychology, Political Science and Socio-Cultural Technologies, Sumy State University, Ukraine
The article is based on the experience of creating a gender sensitive environment at Sumy State University in order to integrate the gender aspect into policies, programmes and projects related to learning activities and research, as well as other areas of the university’s life. This experience is analyzed on the example of the implementation of the “Family friendly university” initiative and the practice of conducting a partial gender audit of the university’s activities. The relevance of this direction is determined by the fact that, despite the existence of legislative bases and state programmes on gender equality, there is a lack of initiatives in Ukraine, which really contribute to it. There is a lack of practical tools that would help identify weaknesses in achieving gender equality and could also be used to make a real positive move towards overcoming this gender gap. As an effective tool for introducing a gender sensitive environment, we also consider gender audit, which is both a tool and a process based on participatory methodology and aimed at organizing training on gender sensitivity, both at the individual level and at the level of the structural units and administration of the university. We are confident that the procedures of gender audit allow to bring the whole complex of the organizational and communication mechanisms inside the university to the new level of efficiency and significantly expand the circle of people who are conscious and interested in being involved in the promotion of gender approaches. Gender audit can be considered as a truly universal and effective means of promoting the gender equality policy, as it allows for a complex implementation of a number of important tasks: monitoring, evaluation, communication, implementation of gender sensitive work methods, education, etc. In the future, it is expected that, through the acquaired experience, knowledge and successful gender audit practices, the HEIs will increase their efforts to create equal opportunities. As an achievement, it will be possible to assess the dissemination of the “Family friendly university” initiative as an opportunity to combine study/work in a high school with family responsibilities. It is this model that serves as a marker of gender-sensitive policies, social protection and targeting of services for vulnerable groups – students-mothers with young children and other members of the team having family responsibilities.
Keywords: gender sensitive practices, gender audit, equality policy, initiative.
JEL Classification: M42, D63.
Cite as: Domina, I., Savelieva, Yu., Svitailo, N. (2018). Gender Sensitive Practices as Effective Tools for Implementing the Equality Policy: The Experience of Ukrainian Universities. Business Ethics and Leadership, 2(2), 106-117. DOI: 10.21272/bel.2(2).106-117.2018
- A manual for gender audit facilitators: The ILO participatory gender audit methodology, 2nd Edition Geneva, International Labour Office (2012). Available at: http://www.ilo.org/wcmsp5/groups/public/—dgreports/—gender/documents/publication/wcms_187411.pdf.
- Atkinson, M., Carryer, A. (2000). Women and Governance in Higher Education, Women in Leadership and Management in Higher Education Series of Workshop Modules, Association of Commonwealth Universities / Commonwealth Secretariat, London.
- Babenko, I., Males, L., Kharchenko, O., Chervinska, T. (2016). Na shlyakhu do hendernoyi rivnosti v osviti [On the path to gender equality in education], Visnyk of Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv − Series of Sociology − 1(7).
- Bagilhole, B. (1993). Survivors in a Male Preserve: A Study of British Women Academics’ Experiences and Perceptions of Discrimination in a UK University. Higher Education 26: 431-47. Google Scholar, Crossref.
- Balance between study and family: opportunities of its provision in higher education institutions. Available at: http://leleka.sumdu.edu.ua/images/docs/balans_final2.pdf.
- Bakhrushin, Volodymyr. Misiya universytetiv u sviti: istoriya ta suchasnistʹ [Mission of Universities in the World: History and Present]. Available at: //http://education-ua.org/ua/articles/167-misiya-universitetiv-u-sviti-istoriya-ta-suchasnist.
- Barnett, R. (1997). Osmysleniye universiteta (Po materialam inauguratsionnoy professorskoy lektsii, prochitannoy v Institute obrazovaniya Londonskogo universiteta 25 oktyabrya 1997 goda) [Comprehension of the University (Based on the materials of an inaugural professor’s lecture given in the Institute of Education, University of London, October 25, 1997)]. Available at: http://charko.narod.ru/tekst/alm1/barnet.htm.
- Bond, S. (2000). Women in Leadership, Women in Leadership and Management in Higher Education Series of Workshop Modules, Association of Commonwealth Universities / Commonwealth Secretariat, London.
- Family friendly university. Official site. Available at: http://leleka.sumdu.edu.ua/uk.
- Farish, M., McPake, J., Powney, J. and Weiner, G. (1995). Equal Opportunities in Colleges and Universities: Towards Better Practices Oxford: SRHE and OUP. Google Scholar.
- Gender Audit Handbook (2010). Available at: https://www.interaction.org/sites/default/files/Gender%20 udit%20Handbook%202010%20Copy.pdf.
- Gender Indicators: What, Why and How? Prepared by Justina Demetriades and based on BRIDGE’s Gender and Indicators Cutting Edge Pack (2007). Available at: http://www.bridge.ids.ac.uk/ reports_gend_CEP.html#Indicators, http://www.oecd. org/dac/gender-development/43041409.pdf.
- Genovate’s Gender Equality Actions for University College Cork, Ireland. Available at: https://www.ucc.ie/en/media/research/iss21/GEAP.Infographic..pdf.
- Gold, A. (2004). Developing Management Skills, Women in Leadership and Management in Higher Education Series of Workshop Modules, Association of Commonwealth Universities / Commonwealth Secretariat, London.
- Goode, Jackie, Bagilhole, Barbara (1998). The social construction of gendered equal opportunities in UK universities: a case study of women technicians. First Published May 1, 1998.
- Gosteva, Natalia (2009). Hendernyy audyt//Pratsya i Zakon [Gender audit // Labor and Law], 10(118), 24-25. Available at: http://employers.org.ua//assets/files/Social_aspects/Gosteva.pdf.
- IFI Gender Audit and Advocacy. A Toolkit for Chinese Civil Society Organizations. Available at: http://www.genderaction.org/images/ Gender%20Action-ChinaToolkitweb.pdf.
- Kohut, I. (2014). Chym vidriznyayutʹsya zhinky i choloviky: pro hendernu (ne)rivnistʹ u vyshchiy osviti [What distinguishes women and men: about gender (non)equality in higher education]. Available at: http://www.cedos.org.ua/uk/discrimination/chym-vidrizniaiutsia-zhinky-icholoviky-pro-hendernu-ne-rivnist-u-vyshchii-osviti.
- Martsenyuk, T. Henderna rivnistʹ u vyshchiy osviti Nimechchyny: yak vtilyuyutʹ polityku rivnykh prav i mozhlyvostey [Gender equality in higher education in Germany: how to implement a policy of equal rights and opportunities]. Available at: http://povaha.org.ua/henderna-rivnist-u-vyschij-osviti-nimechchyny-yak-vtilyuyut-polityku-rivnyh-prav-i-mozhlyvostej/.
- Moser, C. (2005). An Introduction to Gender Audit Methodology: Its design and implementation in DFID Malawi. Overseas Development Institute. Available at: http://www.ndr.mw:8080/xmlui/handle/123456789/1130.
- Newman J. G. The idea of the university. Available at: http://www.charko.narod.ru/tekst/Newman/Newman.html.
- Official site of the State Statistics Committee of Ukraine. Available at: http://ukrstat.gov.ua.
- Reedings, B. (2010). University in ruins / Monograph. – М.: Publishing house of State University, Higher School of Economics, 304 p.
- Sagaria, M. Women, Universities and Change: Gender Equality in the European Union and USA. Available at: https://books.google.com.ua/books?id=oGuADAAAQBAJ&pg=PA27&lpg=PA27&dq=university+gender+audit&source=bl&ots=ygC_YTSiSH&sig=QhSnnEHXXviValWFqqaXLsyFwAM&hl=ru&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwidlsj58dDaAhVKyKYKHRdrCZk4MhDoAQhuMAk#v=onepage&q=university%20gender%20audit&f=false.
- Sheffield Hallam University. What is Athena SWAN. Available at: http://www.shu.ac.uk/university/overview/diversity/athena-swan.
- Statistical collection “Higher education in Ukraine” (2017). Available at: http://www.ukrstat.gov.ua/.
- Svitailo, N. (2014). Expanded Initiative “Family friendly university”: Experience of implementation at Sumy State University: Textbook. – Sumy: RA Publishing House “Khoroshye lyudy”, 104 p.
- Svitailo, N., Savelieva, Yu., Davlikanova, O. (2016). Hendernyy audyt diyalʹnosti vyshchykh navchalʹnykh zakladiv [Gender audit of the higher education institutions activity]. Practical handbook. Available at: http://library.fes.de/pdf-files/bueros/ukraine/12877-20161027.pdf http://library.fes.de/pdf-files/bueros/ukraine/12877-20161027.pdf.
- Svitailo, N. (2013). Formation of gender-responsive behavior in youth by example of Ukrainian universities): Textbook. – Sumy: RA Publishing House “Khoroshye lyudy”, 209 p.
- Swirski, B. (2014). What is a Gender Audit? Available at: https://adva.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/What-20is-20a-20Gender-20Audit.pdf.
- The Global Gender Gap Report (2017). Available at: http://reports.weforum.org/global-gender-gap-report-2017/dataexplorer/#economy=UKR.
- The statistical bulletin “Salary and Social-Labor Relations”. Available at: http://www.ukrstat.gov.ua/.
- Tsarenko, I. O. (2015). Reference a Journal Article: Henderna polityka u sferi vyshchoyi osvity: problemy nerivnosti ta shlyakhy yikh vyrishennya [Gender policy in higher education: the problems of inequality and the ways of their solution] // Economics: realities of time. Scientific Journal, 3(19), 110-117. Available at: http://economics.opu.ua/files/archive/2015/n3.
- West, M. S. and Curtis, J. W. (2006). AUP Faculty Gender Equity Indicators, American Association of University Professors (AAUP). Available at: http://www.aaup.org/NR/rdonlyres/63396944-44BE-4ABA-9815- 5792D93856F1/0/AAUPGenderEquityIndicators2006.pdf (accessed 10th January 2012).
- Wickramasinghe, M. Training module Introduction to Gender Mainstreaming Universities Prepared for the Association of Commonwealth Universities. Available at: https://www.acu.ac.uk/focus-areas/gender-programme/intro-gender-mainstreaming-universities.
- Women and men in leading positions in Ukraine: open data of the USREOU. Available at: http://socialdata.org.ua/edrpou-gender/.