, Master of Arts in Human Resource Management, Associate Member of the Nigerian Institute of Management (AMNIM), School of Management Studies, Abubakar Tatari Ali Polytechnic Bauchi, Nigeria
, PhD, Full Member of the Nigerian Institute of Management, School of Management Studies, Abubakar Tatari Ali Polytechnic Bauchi, Nigeria
, Master of Arts in Human Resource Management, Faculty of Management & Social Sciences, Department of Business Management, Taraba State University Jalingo, Nigeria
The study was on remuneration and productivity of academic staff of selected tertiary institutions in Bauchi state, Nigeria. It investigates the effect of remuneration such as pay system, benefits and incentives on the productivity of academic staff of selected tertiary institutions. The study was to determine the effect of remuneration on the productivity of academic staff of selected tertiary institutions in Bauchi state Nigeria. The study was based on Herzberg’s two-factor theory. The study adopts descriptive survey designs. The study population was 1389 and the sample of the study was 311 respondents, selected using a systematic random sampling technique. Survey method of data collection was used. The closed-ended questionnaire was used as an instrument for data collection. Data were analyzed using simple linear regression analysis. The findings of the study revealed that there is a significant positive effect of remuneration on the productivity of academic staff where (R-value=.645, Adjusted R= .415, p˂.001). The study concludes that remuneration has the effect on the productivity of academic staff of selected tertiary institutions in Bauchi state, Nigeria. The study recommends that the institutions should ensure fair, equitable, just and transparent remuneration to all academic staff based on their value. The study improves researchers’ effort in understanding the study variable and has opened up a debate on the effect of remuneration on the productivity of academic staff. The study suggests that further study should be carried out to cover the North-Eastern geographic region of the country, to give a wider coverage where the result can be used for generalization purposes.
Keywords: productivity, academic staff, remuneration, pay system, benefits, incentives.
JEL Classification: D24, M5, M52, E42.
Cite as: Aliyu, M. R., Bello, H. S., Bello, M. (2018). Effect of Remuneration on Productivity of Academic Staff of Selected Tertiary Institutions in Bauchi State, Nigeria. Business Ethics and Leadership, 2(3), 34-43. DOI: 10.21272/bel.2(3).34-43.2018
- Abdul, H., Muhammad, R., Hafiz, M., Kashif, Z., Ghazanfar, Ali, & Muhammad, A. (2014). Impact of Compensation on Employee Performance (Empirical Evidence from Banking Sector of Pakistan), International Journal of Business and Social Science, 5(2), 302-309.
- Abubakar Tatari Ali Polytchnic, Bauchi (2016). Academic Staffs Population. Establishment Department.
- Abiodun, O. & Adekola, G. (2015). Trends and Transformation of Higher Education in Nigeria: Management, Leadership, Governance and Quality. University of Portharcourt, Reviers state, Nigeria.
- Adeniji, A. A., Osibanjo, A. O. (2012). Human resource management: Theory and practice, Pumark.
- Adeola, F. A. (2005). Productivity and Performance in Developing Countries: Overview on Productivity Based on UNIDO Supplied Data for the period of 1962-2000. Case Study of Nigeria.
- Akinyele, S. T. (2009). A Critical Assessment of Environmental Impact on Workers’ Productivity. Nigeria. Business Journal, 1(1), 50-61.
- Ali, S. A. Y., Ali, A. A., & Abdiquni, A. A. (2013). Working Conditions and Employee Productivity in Manufacturing Companies in Sub Saharan Africa. Education Research International (SAVAP International), 2(2), 67-78.
- Amin, M. E. (2005). Social Science Research: Conception, Methodology and Analysis. Makerere University Press.
- Australian Government (2000). Corporations & Market Advisory Committee, Executive Remuneration. Information Paper. ISBN 978-0-9806747-4-3. www.camac.gov.au.
- Baffa, A. B. (2017). Meeting with Head of Beneficiary Institutions. Executive Secretary TETFund. Press Brief.
- Bernardin, J. & Russel, E. A. (1998). Human Resource Management: An Experimental Approach, McGraw Hill Irwin Corporation New York.
- Bjornavold, J. & Tissol, P. (2000). Glossary on Identification, Assessment and Validation of Qualifications and Competences, Transparence and Transferibility of Qualifications. Documents De Trabajo CEDEFOP.
- Bohan, F. (2004). Hidden Power of Productivity: Improving Productivity by 30% Without Layoffs! USA: AuthorHouse.
- College of Education, Azare. (2016). Academic Staffs Population. Establishment Department.
- Cameron, J. and Pierce, W. D. (1994). Reinforcement, reward and intrinsic motivation: a meta-analysis. Review of Educational Research, 64, 363-423.
- Community Development Library (1997). Productivity and Quality Management: A Modular Program, Concepts, Processes & Techniques. APO-ILO. pp. 828.
- Cronbach, L. J. (1951). Coefficient Alpha and the Internal Structure of Test, Psychometrika, 16,(3), 297-334.
- Dorgan, C.E. (1994). Productivity Link to the Indoor Environment Estimated Relative to ASHRAE 62-1989 Proceedings of Health Buildings ‘94, Budapest, pp. 461-472.
- EICC VAP Audit Operations Manual v5.0.1, Strictly Internal to EICC Recognize Audits Only. Retrieved on 29-05-2017 @ 10:00am.
- Elisifa, N. (2014). Determinants of Job Satisfaction among Members of Academic Staff. Moshi University College of Cooperative and Business Studies, Moshi Tanzania. Retrieved December 14, 2016.
- Emmanuel, E. Yamoah (2013). Relationship between Compensation and Employee Productivity. Singaporean Journal of Business Economic, 2(1). 110-114.
- Federal Polytechnic, Bauchi. (2016). Academic Staffs Population. Establishment Departemtent.
- Federal Republic of Nigeria (2004). National policy on education. Lagos: National Education Research and Development Council(NERDC) Press.
- Garrison, M. & Bly, M. E. (1997). Human Relations; Productive Approaches for the Work Place. Massachusetts: Allyn & Bacon.
- Glass, A. J. & Saggi, K. (2002). Multinational Firms & Technology Transfer: Scandinavian Journal of Economics, 104(4), 495-513.
- Golden, L. (2012). The Effects of Working Time on Productivity and Firms performance. A Reseach Synthesis Paper. Geneva.
- Harrington, J. M. & Cooper, C. L. (1997). Health & Safety Problems Associated with Long Working Hours: A Reviewof the Current Position, 54(6). BJM Career. doi.org/10.1136/oem.54-6.367.
- Herzberg, F. (2003). One more time: how do you motivate employee?, Harvard Business Review, 81, 56-96.
- Holkos & Bousinekis, (2010). Cited in Ranathunga, T. K. (2014). Impact of Job Stress on Work Performance of Consumer Service Employees in Four Hotels. A Jounal of Human Resource, 2(2).
- IFRS (2012). IAS 19 Employee Benefits: Technical Summary. Retrieved on 29-05-2017 @ 10:25 am.
- Ivancevich, J. M. (2005). Human resource management, New York. McGraw-Hill/Irwin.
- Joshi, P. and Venketesh, D. N. (2006). Human Resource Management: Employee Motivation (H. R. Management pg. 325). zenithresearch.org.in/images/stories.
- Karim, S. & Roger, M. G. (2005). Job Satisfaction of University academics: Perspective from Uganda Higher Education, 50, 33-56 Doi-10.1007/s10734-004-6346-0.
- Kawugana, A. (2016). The Impact of Incessant Strikes on the Education Sector in Nigeria, International Journal of Education and Evaluation. ISSN 2489-0073, 2(5), 67-72. www.iiardpub.org.
- Komal, K. B. & Tahir, M. Q. (2007). Impact of Employee Participation on Job Satisfaction, Commitment and Employee Productivity. International Review of Business Research Papers, 3(2), 54-68.
- Mensah, R. (2012). The Impact of Indirect Compensation on Employee Productivity: A Case of Central University College, A Thesis submitted to the Institute of Distance Learning, Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology.
- Messenger, J. C. (2004). Working Time & Workers Preferences in Industrialized Countries: Finding the Balance. books.goole.com.
- Mueller, C. W. & Kim, S. W. (2008). The Contented Female Worker: Still a Paradox? in Karen A. Hegtvedt, Jody Clay-Warner (ed.). Justice: Advances in Group Processes, 25, 117-149. Emerald Group Publishing Limited.
- Nadia, K. (2006). Incentive Performance Related Pay and Productivity. Economics Education and Research Consortium, National University Kyiv-Mohyla Academy.
- Nicholas, B., Aprajit, M., David, M. & John R. (2010). Ameriacn Economics Review: Paper Proceedings, 100(2), 619-623. Available at: http://www.acaweb.org/articles.php? Doi=101257/aer.100.2619.
- Nwachukwu, C. C. (2007). Managment Theory and Practice. Onisha, Nigeria: Africana first publishers limited.
- Onukwube, H. N. (2012). Correlates of job satisfaction amongst quantity surveyors in consulting firms in Lagos, Nigeria. Australasian Journal of Construction Economics and Buildin, 12(2), 43-54.
- Presidency, National Salaries, Income and Wages Commission (2007). Circular: Consolidated Tertiary Institutions Salary Structure (CONTISS). www.nsiwc.gov.ng/Docs/policy.
- Presidency, National Salaries, Income and Wages Commission (2013). Circular: Consolidated Polytechnics and Colleges of Education Academic Staff Salary Structure (CONPCASS) www.informationng.com/teg/consolidated.
- Rob, B. V. (2015). Structure and Process. Organizational Development. Dresden, Germany. Retrieved from email@example.com.
- Roberto, A., Davide A. & Paolo, P. (2014). Flexible pay systems and labor productivity: Evidence from Emilia-Romagna manufacturing firms. Crescita Italia.
- Rolloos, M. (1997). Een gezond binnenmilieu betaalt zichzelf terug Praktijkboek Gezonde Gebouwen. October, A2001-3 18.
- Ross, J. (1981). Information Management. Journal of Information Management, 4(4), 169-176. Doi.org/10.1016/0378-72.
- Ruch, W. A., & Hershauer (1974). Factors Affecting Worker Productivity. English Book Illustrated Edition. Temple: Bureau of Business and Economic Research, College of Business Administration. Arizona.
- Sandilyan, P. R., Mousmumi, M., Amitabh, D. & Manajit, M. (2012). Effect of Remuneration & Reward on Employee Motivation. A study of selected Hotels in West Bangal. Zenith International journal of Business Economics & Management research, 2(4), ISSN 22498826.
- Scott, S. (2013). Employee Satisfaction Survey Questions: 3 Sample Templates You Use Today. www.qualtrics.com.
- Song, Y. (2008). Leadership Behaviors and Human Resource Development in Public Sector Organizations Under Conditons of Organizational Uncertainty: Comparative Organizational Study between US and Korea. 3327476. search.proquest.com.
- Steve, B. (2017). Sample Workplace Survey Questions, Labor Studies Center, 313.577.2191. Wayne state firstname.lastname@example.org. Cited on 27/04/2017@12:09.
- Teboha, M. (2000). Nigerian Education Sector Analysis: An Analytical Synthesis of Performance and Main Issues. New York University.
- Wegner, E.C. and Snyder, W.M. (2000). Communities of practice: the organizational frontier, Harvard Business Review, January-February, pp. 139-145.
- Zelenski, J. M., Murphy, S. A., (2008). The Happy Productive Worker Thesis revisited. Journal of Happiness Studies, 9(4), 521-537. DOI: 10.1007/s10902-008-9087-4. Citing Campbell et al (1993).