PhD MBA, CPA, CTP, Senior Chair, Dissertation Research Committee, Grand Canyon University, College of Doctoral Studies, Washington, DC, U.S.
Ed.D. MBA, Training Coordinator, Department of State, Arlington, VA, U.S.
The paper summarizes the arguments and counterarguments within the scientific discussion on the issue perceived effective policing through leaderships’ diversity training learning outcomes and cultural competence. The main purpose of this quantitative correlational study was conducted to address if and to what extent the leadership of law enforcement agencies is learning outcomes of diversity training initiatives and the level of cultural competence of leadership influences law enforcement organizational effectiveness. Systematization of literary sources and approaches for solving the problem of effective policing leadership indicates that this quantitative research study expands police leadership knowledge base by identifying whether significant differences exist in police effectiveness when incorporating diversity training initiative learning outcomes and cultural competence both exclusively and collectively. The relevance of the decision of this scientific problem is that police leadership possessing the knowledge and understanding police effectiveness through diversity training initiative learning outcomes and cultural competence can adapt and adjust in concert with the need to be more effective in Black and multicultural commutes based on the study’s findings. The statistical significance indicated in this study concerning diversity training initiative learning outcomes predicting police effectiveness is substantial. The paper presents the results of this empirical analysis study that may contribute to the positive national senior management change by bringing into focus the role of effective policing through leaderships’ diversity training learning outcomes and cultural competence and its positive impact on the public sector.
Keywords: Cultural Competence, Diversity Training, Management Effectiveness, Multicultural Leadership, Management Decision, Business Ethics.
JEL Classification: D83, D61, M1.
Cite as: Kasztelnik, K., Brown, D. (2019). Perceived Effective Business Ethics through Leadership and Cultural Competence in the United States. Business Ethics and Leadership, 3(4), 15-27. http://doi.org/10.21272/bel.3(4).15-27.2019.
- Ashraf, G. (2012). A review on the models of organizational effectiveness: A look at cameron’s model. International Education Studies, 5(2), 80. doi:10.5539/ies.v5n2p80.
- Beu, A., & Nepravishta, A. (2013). Relationship between the police educational formation system and public security. European Journal of Sustainable Development, 2(4), 173.
- Carrizales, T., Zahradnik, A., & Silverio, M. (2016). Organizational advocacy of cultural competency Initiatives: Lessons for public administration. Public Administration Quarterly, 40(1), 126.
- Choi, H., Suh, E. E., Park, C. G., Park, J., & Fernandez, E. (2015). Reliability and validity of a Korean version of the cultural awareness scale (K-CAS). Korean Journal of Adult Nursing, 27(4), 4479. https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2015.27.4.472.
- Colbert, A. E., Barrick, M. R., & Bradley, B. H. (2014). Personality and leadership composition in top management teams: Implications for organizational effectiveness. Personnel Psychology, 67(2), 351. doi:10.1111/peps.12036.
- De Almeida Vieira Monteiro, A.T., & Fernandes, A. B. (2016). Cultural competence in mental health nursing: Validity and internal consistency of the Portuguese version of the multicultural mental health awareness scale–MMHAS. BMC Psychiatry, 16.
- Diaz, C., Clarke, P. N., & Gatua, M. W. (2015). Cultural competence in rural nursing education: Are we there yet? Nursing Education Perspectives, 36(1), 22.
- Eck, J. E. (2003). Police problems: The complexity of problem theory, research and evaluation. Crime prevention studies, 15, 79-114.
- Elton, J. S. (2013). An explanatory study of cultural competence: Examining cross-cultural adaptability in peace officers (Doctoral dissertation, University of Akron).
- Ewoh, A. I. (2013). Managing and valuing diversity: Challenges to public managers in the 21st century. Public Personnel Management, 42(2), 107-122. doi:10.1177/009 1026013487048.
- Fan, M. D. (2016). Violence and police diversity: A call for research. Brigham Young University Law Review, 2015(4), 875-914.
- Garib, G. (2013). Diversity is in the eye of the beholder. The Psychologist-Manager Journal, 16(1), 18-32. doi: 10.1037/a0094733.
- Giacobbi, P. R. (2002). Survey construction and analysis, Part II: Establishing reliability and validity. Athletic Therapy Today, 7(5), 60-61.
- Glickman, L. B., Olsen, J., & Rowthorn, V. (2015). Measuring the cross-cultural adaptability of a graduate student team from a global immersion experience. Journal of Cultural Diversity, 22(4), 148.
- Kataria, A., Rastogi, R., & Garg, P. (2013). Organizational effectiveness as a function of employee engagement. South Asian Journal of Management, 20(4), 56-73. Retrieved fromhttps://lopes.idm.oclc.org/login?url=http://search.proquest.com/docview/1519059074?accountid=7374.
- Kiehl, K. R. (2013). Examining perceptions of organizational effectiveness of police departments and leadership styles of police supervisors (Order No. 3569890). Available from ProQuest Dissertations & Theses Global. (1370761178). Retrieved from https://lopes.idm.oclc.org/login?URL=http://search. proquest.com/docview/1370761178?accountid=7374. DOI: 10.1108/PIJPSM-03-2013-0028.
- King, E., Dawson, J., Kravitz, D., & Gulick, L. (2012). A multilevel study of the relationships between diversity training, ethnic discrimination and satisfaction in organizations. Journal of Organizational Behavior, 33(1), 5-20. doi: 10.1002/job.728.
- Knight, G. M. (2014). Calls for service and police effectiveness: The role of performance measurement systems. Thesis (PhD Doctorate), Griffith University, Brisbane. Retrieved from: https://www120.secure.griffith.edu.au/rch/items/06938197-1233-40da-aeb1-c33b6235c6ab/1/.
- Lai, Y. (2013). Policing diversity: Determinants of White, Black, and Hispanic attitudes toward police. El Paso, TX: LFB Scholarly.
- Legrand, T., & Bronitt, S. (2012). Policing to a different beat: Measuring police performance. In policing and security in practice (pp. 1-19). Palgrave Macmillan UK.
- Lindsey, A. A., King, E., Hebi, M., & Levine, N. (2015). The impact of method, motivation, and empathy on diversity training effectiveness. Journal of Business & Psychology, 30(3), 605-617.
- Lopez-Littleton, V., & Blessett, B. (2015). A framework for integrating cultural competence into the curriculum of public administration programs. Journal of Public Affairs Education, 21(4), 557-574.
- Merkey, L. (2015). Building trust and breaking down the wall: The use of restorative justice to repair police-community relationships. Missouri Law Review, 80(4), 1133.
- Okoro, O., Odedina, F., & Smith, W. T. (2015). Determining the sufficiency of cultural competence instruction in pharmacy school curriculum. American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education, 79(4), 116-120.
- Reaves, B.A. (2015). Local police departments, 2013: Personnel, policies and practices. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Department of Justice.
- Reynoso, L. F., & Tovar, L. A. (2014). Organizational variables in effectiveness of police. International Review of Management and Business Research, 3(2), 827.
- Rice, M. F. (2007). Promoting cultural competency in the public administration and public service delivery: Utilizing self-assessment tools and performance measures. Journal of Public health Affairs Education, 13, 41-57. doi:10.1080/15236803.2007.12001466.
- Schlosser, M., Sundiata, C. J., Vaigoi, M., & Neville, H. (2015). Improving policing in a multicultural society in the United States: A new approach. International Journal of Criminal Justice Sciences, 10(1), 115-121.
- Skogan, W. G. (1976). Efficiency and effectiveness in big-city police departments. Public administration review, 278-286.
- Sparrow, M. K. (2015), Measuring performance in a modern police organization. Psychosociological Issues in Human Resource Management, 3(2), 17-52.
- Stone, C., & Travis, J. (2013). Toward a new professionalism in policing. Journal of the Institute of Justice and International Studies, 13, B1.
- Tiwana, N., Bass, G., & Farrell, G. (2015). Police performance measurement: An annotated bibliography. Crime Science, 4(1), 1-28. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10. 1186/s40163-014-0011-4.
- Woods, S. (2014). Does the race of police officers’ matter? Police officers on interactions with citizens and police procedures (Order No. 3665295). Available from ProQuest Dissertations & Theses Global. (1637644197). Retrieved from https://lopes.idm.oclc.org/login?url=http://search.proquest.com/docview/1637644197?accountid=7374.
- Wilson, C. P., & Wilson, S. A. (2014). Are we there yet? Perceptive roles of African American police officer in small agency settings. Western Journal of Black Studies, 38(2), 123-133.
- Zounemat-Kermani, Mohammad, Scholz, & Miklas. (2014). Modeling of dissolved oxygen. Applying stepwise regression and a template-based fuzzy logic system. Journal of Environment Engineering, 140, 69-76. doi: 10.1061/(ASCE)EE.1943-7870.0000.