Dr in Production Engineering, Professor, Production Engineering Department, Fluminense Federal University, Volta Redonda, RJ, Brazil
MSc, Full Professor, International University Center, Curitiba, PR, Brazil
This paper summarizes the arguments and counterarguments of the scientific discussion on multi-company co-operation leading, given that co-creating value between companies is a survival strategy for organizations by boosting competitiveness jointly several players. However, in the literature, the empirical characterization of value creation management in service companies is little explored. Therefore, the main objective of the research is to list the key factors for managing value co-creation in an industrial service company. To achieve this goal, an on-site interview was conducted with the leaders of a business-consulting firm whose business strategy is to cooperate with multiple players. The company object of research is located in southern Brazil, in the state of Santa Catarina. Once data collection was conducted, then content analysis was conducted. Based on the research findings, eleven key criteria that characterize cooperation between companies in the business consulting area were listed. It was found that value co-creation had several advantages for the company studied, however, lack of trust is one of the critical and risk factors for cooperation with other companies. Thus, it can be seen that leadership strategies are a key element for meeting potential business partners to co-create value as well as for managing cooperation between multiple companies. Given the findings, some practical implications can be highlighted. The study can serve as a basis for managers and leaders to make strategic business decisions, guide business leadership in driving plans to capture new business partners reliably and that together can generate mutual value. In addition, it is clear that the studied company’s system in relation to knowledge management is fragile since there is no structured system to control and disseminate knowledge internally and externally to the analyzed company. Thus, this research allows us to identify new insights to advance in studies related to the leadership of value co-creation among companies.
Keywords: Leadership, Value co-creation; Business consulting; Multi-agent cooperation; Innovation; Industrial service management.
JEL Classification: D46, O3, L8.
Cite as: Bonamigo, A., Mendes, D. (2019). Value Co-creation and Leadership: An Analysis Based on the Business Ecosystem Concept. Business Ethics and Leadership, 3(4), 66-73. http://doi.org/10.21272/bel.3(4).66-73.2019.
- Alves, J. D. C., Dias, N. T., Monsores, G. L. (2015). Consultoria empresarial como ferramenta estratégica de desenvolvimento em pequenas empresas [Business consulting as a strategic tool for small business development]. Anais do XII Simpósio de excelência em gestão e tecnologia–SEGeT, Rezende, RJ, Brasil.
- Ambroise, L., Prim-Allaz, I., Teyssier, C., & Peillon, S. (2018). The environment-strategy-structure fit and performance of industrial servitized SMEs. Journal of Service Management, 29(2), 301-328. Doi:10.1108/JOSM-10-2016-0276.
- Artto, K.; Valtakoski, A.; Kärki, H. (2015). Organizing for solutions: How project-based firms integrate project and service businesses. Industrial Marketing Management, 45(1), 70-83. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.indmarman.2015.02.021.
- Ballantyne, D., Aitken, R. (2007). Branding in B2B markets: insights from the service‐dominant logic of marketing. Journal of Business & Industrial Marketing, 22(6), 363-371. https://doi.org/10.1108/08858620710780127.
- Bao, S., Toivonen, M. (2015). Cultural differences in servitization: Nordic manufacturers in China. Journal of Science and Technology Policy Management, 6(3), 223-245. https://doi.org/10.1108/JSTPM-01-2015-0001.
- Bardin, L. (2011). Análise de conteúdo [Content Analysis], 3. reimp. Lisboa: Ediçoes, Vol. 70, 225.
- Bonamigo, A. (2017). A management model for dairy production based on the ecosystem business concept, 141p. (Doutorado). Engenharia de Produção, Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina, UFSC, Florianópolis.
- Bonamigo, A., Ferenhof, H. A., Forcellini, F. A. (2016a). Applicability analysis of the business ecosystem concept in dairy production based on a systematic literature review. II Simpósio Internacional de Inovação em Cadeias do Agronegócio. Caxias do Sul. agosto 26, 2016 – agosto 27, 1-10.
- Bonamigo, A., Ferenhof, H. A., Forcellini, F. A. (2016b). Applicability analysis of the business ecosystem concept in dairy production based on a systematic literature review. In: CRUZ, M. R. D.; SEVERO, E. A., et al (Ed.). Inovação e tecnologia no agronegócio como alternativa para a economia do Brasil – II SICPA. Caxias do Sul, RS: Educs, 1(30), 365-374.
- Breidbach, C. F., Maglio, P. P. (2016). Technology-enabled value co-creation: An empirical analysis of actors, resources, and practices. Industrial Marketing Management, 56(1), 73-85. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.indmarman.2016.03.011.
- Edvardsson, B., Frow, P., Jaakkola, E., Keiningham, T. L., Koskela-Huotari, K., Mele, C., & Tombs, A. (2018). Examining how context change foster service innovation. Journal of Service Management, 29(5), 932-955. https://doi.org/10.1108/JOSM-04-2018-0112.
- Ferenhof, H. A. (2015). Um modelo para identificar desperdícios de conhecimento relacionados à performance dos portfólios de projetos [A model for identifying knowledge waste related to project portfolio performance]. 250p. (Doutorado em Engenharia de Produção). Programa de Pós- Graduação em Engenharia de Produção, Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina, Florianópolis, Santa Catarina, Brasil.
- Ferenhof, H. A., Bonamigo, A., Forcellini, F. A. (2016). Ecossistema de negócios: o conhecimento pode estar em risco [Business ecosystem: Knowledge may be at risk]. In: MACEDO, M.; TEIXEIRA, C. S., et al (Ed.). Gestão do conhecimento e capital intelectual em habitats de inovação: Novas Edições Acadêmicas [Knowledge management and intellectual capital in innovation habitats: Novas Edições Acadêmicas], 1(1), chap. 2.
- Fernando, J. T., Las Casas, A. L. (2018). A cocriação de valor aplicada ao mercado industrial: estudo de caso na empresa Kerry do Brasil [Value co-creation applied to the industrial market: Case study in Kerry do Brasil company]. Revista de Administração, 16(1), 102-120.
- Fischer, B. B. (2014). Confiança, sistemas de certificação e atributos intrínsecos em relacionamentos interorganizacionais: uma discussão teórica orientada para o ambiente dos agronegócios [Trust, certification systems, and Intrinsic attributes in inter-organizational relations: A theory-oriented discussion for the Agribusiness Environment]. RACE-Revista de Administração, Contabilidade e Economia, 13(2), 549-570.
- Frost, R., Lyons, K. (2017). Service systems analysis methods and components: a systematic literature review. Service Science, 8(3), 219-234. https://doi.org/10.1287/serv.2017.0180.
- Grönroos, C. (2012). Conceptualising value co-creation: A journey to the 1970s and back to the future. Journal of Marketing Management, 28(13-14), 1520-1534. https://doi.org/10.1080/0267257X.2012.737357.
- Grott, E. M., Cambra-Fierro, J., Perez, L., & Yani-de-Soriano, M. (2019). How cross-culture affects the outcomes of co-creation. European Business Review, 31(4), 544-566. https://doi.org/10.1108/EBR-01-2018-0022.
- Gruber, T., Frugone, F. (2011). Uncovering the desired qualities and behaviours of general practitioners (GPs) during medical (service recovery) encounters. Journal of Service Management, 22(4), 491-521. https://doi.org/10.1108/09564231111155097.
- Guo, J., Bouwman, H. (2016). An analytical framework for an m-payment ecosystem: A merchants’ perspective. Telecommunications Policy, 40(2-3), 147-167. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.telpol.2015.09.008.
- Ikenami, R., Salerno, M. (2015). Ecossistema de negócio: estudo exploratório acerca da delimitação de suas fronteiras [Business ecosystem: an exploratory study about the delimitation of its borders]. XXXV Encontro Nacional de Engenharia de Produção – ENEGEP. Perspectivas Globais para a Engenharia de Produção Fortaleza, CE, Brasil.
- Jaakkola, E., & Aarikka-Stenroos, L. (2019). Customer referencing as business actor engagement behavior–Creating value in and beyond triadic settings. Industrial Marketing Management, 80(1), 27-42. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.indmarman.2018.06.014.
- Karvonen, I., Conte, M. (2012). Supporting the enterprise collaboration (EC) and enterprise interoperability (EI) solution benefits by end-user involvement. International Journal of Product Development, 17(1-2), 139-152. https://doi.org/10.1504/IJPD.2012.051153.
- Klen, E. R. (2009). Co-creation and Co-innovation in a Collaborative Networked Environment. In Working Conference on Virtual Enterprises, Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg, 33-40. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-642-04568-4_4.
- Koenig, G. (2012). Business ecosystems revisited. Management (France), 15(2), 208-224.
- Kohtamaki, M., Partanen, J. (2016). Co-creating value from knowledge-intensive business services in manufacturing firms: The moderating role of relationship learning in supplier-customer interactions. Journal of Business Research, 69(7), 2498-2506. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2016.02.019.
- Lamprinopoulou, C., Renwick, A., Klerkx, L., Hermans, F., & Roep, D. (2014). Application of an integrated systemic framework for analysing agricultural innovation systems and informing innovation policies: Comparing the Dutch and Scottish agrifood sectors. Agricultural Systems, 129(1), 40-54. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.agsy.2014.05.001.
- Li, X., Roberts, J., Yan, Y., & Tan, H. (2014). Knowledge sharing in China–UK higher education alliances. International Business Review, 23(2), 343-355. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ibusrev.2013.05.001.
- Li, Y. R. (2009). The technological roadmap of Cisco’s business ecosystem. Technovation, 29(5), 379-386. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.technovation.2009.01.007.
- Minh, T. T., Hjortsø, C. N. (2015). How Institutions Influence SME Innovation and Networking Practices: The Case of Vietnamese Agribusiness. Journal of Small Business Management, 53(1), 209-228. https://doi.org/10.1111/jsbm.12189.
- Moore, J. F. (1993). Predators and prey: a new ecology of competition. Harvard Business Review, 71(3), 75-86.
- Moore, J. F. (1996). The death of competition: leadership and strategy in the age of business ecosystems. HarperCollins Publishers.
- Peltoniemi, M. (2005). Co-evolution in an organization population of which knowledge-intensive service organizations form a part. Services Systems and Services Management. Proceedings of ICSSSM’05, International Conference on IEEE. p.880-885. Doi: 10.1109/ICSSSM.2005.1500118.
- Peltoniemi, M. (2006). Preliminary theoretical framework for the study of business ecosystems. E:CO Emergence: Complexity and Organization, 8(1), 10-19.
- Powell, D., Lundeby, S., Chabada, L., & Dreyer, H. (2017). Lean Six Sigma and environmental sustainability: the case of a Norwegian dairy producer. International Journal of Lean Six Sigma, 8(1), 53-64. https://doi.org/10.1108/IJLSS-06-2015-0024.
- Prahalad, C. K.; Ramaswamy, V. (2004). Co-creation experiences: The next practice in value creation. Journal of interactive marketing, 18(3), 5-14. https://doi.org/10.1002/dir.20015.
- Silva, M. R. D., Borges, I. R., Pereira, G. M., Borchardt, M., & Sellitto, M. A. (2015). Co-creation of value in road cargo transport: A case study. Producao, 25(2), 454-464. http://dx.doi.org/10.1590/0103-6513.014611.
- St-Pierre, J., Raymond, L., Zouiten, S., & Menvielle, W. (2008). Performance of industrial service SMEs: A Conceptual Framework and Diagnostic System. 11th Toulon-Verona Conference, Quality in Services, Sep 2008, Florence, Italy. Doi: 10.1400/96232.
- Steinbach, T., Wallenburg, C. M., Selviaridis, K. (2018). Me, myself and I: Non-collaborative customer behavior in service outsourcing – the key role of outcome orientation and outcome attributability. International Journal of Operations & Production Management, 38(7), 1519-1539. https://doi.org/10.1108/IJOPM-05-2017-0297.
- Virtanen, T., Parvinen, P., Rollins, M. (2015). Complexity of sales situation and sales lead performance: An empirical study in business-to-business company. Industrial Marketing Management, 45(1), 49-58. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.indmarman.2015.02.024.
- Werner, S. M. (2017). Proposta de um modelo de gestão para alta hospitalar baseado na abordagem lean [Proposal for a management model for hospital discharge based on lean-approach]. 173 (Mestrado). Engenharia de Produção e Sistemas, Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina, Florianópolis, Brasil.
- West, S., Gaiardelli, P., Resta, B., & Kujawski, D. (2018). Co-creation of value in Product-Service Systems through transforming data into knowledge. IFAC-PapersOnLine, 51(1), 1323-1328. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ifacol.2018.08.349.
- Witolla, T., Sames, P., Greig, A. (2016). Vessels for the Future. Transportation Research Procedia, 14, 1641-1648. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.trpro.2016.05.129.
- Womack, J. P., Jones, D. T. (2010). Lean thinking: banish waste and create wealth in your corporation. Simon and Schuster. Journal of the Operational Research Society, 48(11), 1148-1149. Doi: 10.1038/sj.jors.2600967.
- Yang, R., Tang, F. (2016.). Restructuring Business Ecosystem Via Internet Thinking. Management & Engineering, 1(24), 16-23. Doi: 10.5503/J.ME.2016.24.002.
- Zokaei, K., Simons, D. (2006). Performance improvements through implementation of lean practices: a study of the UK red meat industry. International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, 9(2), 30-53. Doi: 10.22004/ag.econ.8194.