PhD, Course Facilitator, Department of Business and Entrepreneurship, Kwara State University, Malete, Nigeria
PhD, Head of the Department of Industrial Relations and Personnel Management, University of Ilorin, Kwara State, Nigeria
PhD, Post Graduate Coordinator, Department of Business and Entrepreneurship, Kwara State University, Malete, Nigeria
The paper summarizes the arguments and counterarguments within the scientific discussion on the issue cultural and age diversity of workforce and the level of workers’ productivity in the multinational companies. Three hundred and seventy-five employees from five multinational food companies in Southwest Nigeria form the object of the research. Methodological research tools contain questionnaires; the regression analysis methods was used when testing hypotheses on the existence of a correlation between cultural diversity and team performance; cross-tabulation analysis method; inter-position correlation test, and ANOVA method for generalizing and interpreting the results. The results of the study regarding the relationship between a company’s cultural diversity and its market share showed that cultural diversity does not affect the performance of the organization’s employees, while work experience has a non-linear impact on the company’s productivity. The results of findings conclude that there is a link between workforce diversity and the organizational effectiveness of the company, as well as the positive relationship between the cultural diversity of employees and their work experience. The findings of the study are agreed with the work of other scientists on the subject and complement their results. According to the results of the analysis, it was concluded that it is necessary to increase the level of awareness of the staff about the cultural diversity that exists in the organization. The reason is that it is necessary to increase the employees’ morale and their work efficiency, which will increase the level of customer satisfaction with the work of the company. The study recommends that; multinational food producing industries should not only ensure employee diversity in their businesses but they should also make sure that diversity is used to improve organizational performance. Future research in this area should focus on consideration of all stakeholders’ opinions in the formulation of multinational company’s personnel policies.
Keywords: Employees Diversity, Organizational Performance, Cultural Diversity, Work Experience Diversity, MNCs.
JEL Classification: M14, J21, L25.
Cite as: Kowo, S.A., Kadiri B.I., Zekeri, A. (2020). Correlate of Workforce Diversity and Organisational Performance of Multinational Food Producing Industry in Nigeria. Business Ethics and Leadership, 4(1), 126-137. http://doi.org/10.21272/bel.4(1).126-137.2020.
- Adler, N. J. (2015). Cultural Synergy: Managing the Impact of Cultural Diversity. London: Sage Publications. Volume 5(11), November 2016. Available at https://www.researchgate.net/publication/310455811.
- Afolabi, F. & Aina, O. (2014). Gender differentials in subjective well-being among religious elderly Yoruba people in Southwest Nigeria. Ageing International, 39(2), 180-193. doi: 10.1007/s12126-014-9197-8.
- Afolabi, O.A. and Omole, E.O. (2011). Personality Type and Workforce Diversity as Predictors of Ethical Behavior and Job Satisfaction Among Nigerian Policemen. Current Research Journal of Social Sciences. 3. 381-388. Available at: https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/556e/d86af8aabab21971d6235ba3b96.
- Ajala, A.O.A and Alonge, K.S. (2013). Gender Issues in basic education and national development in Nigeria. Journal of Emerging Trends in Educational Research and Policy Studies (JETERAPS), 4(4), 644-649. Available at http://jeteraps.scholarlinkresearch.com/articles/Gender%20Issues%20in%20Basic%20Education.pdf.
- Akinnusi, D. M., Sonubi, O., Oyewunmi, A. E. (2017). Fostering Effective Workforce Diversity Management. International Review of Management and Marketing in Nigerian Organizations: The Challenge of Human Resource Management, 7(2), 108-116. Available at: https://EconPapers.repec.org/RePEc:eco:journ3:2017-02-17.
- Allen, D., Bryant, P., Vardaman, M. (2010). Retaining Talent: Replacing Misconceptions with Evidence-Based Strategies. Academy of Management Perspectives, 48-64. /doi.org/10.5465/amp.24.2.48.
- Al-Lamki, S. M. (2014). Orientation: The essential Journal of Management. Ingredient in cross-cultural Management, 19, 568. Available at: irjmst.com.
- Atta-Asamoah, A. (2012). Overview of the Nature and Management of Diversity in Africa. Prepared for the Office of the Special Adviser on Africa (OSAA), Institute for Security Studies, Pretoria, South Africa. https://doi.org/10.5897/AJBM2017.8316.
- Armstrong, M., (2012). Armstrongs Handbook of Human Resource Management Practice. 12th ed. London: Kogan Page. Available at: https://www.koganpage.com.
- Blau, P. M. (1977). Inequality and heterogeneity. New York: Free Press. Available at: http://www.ncjrs.
- Borman, W. C., Penner, L. A. (2001). Citizenship performance: Its nature, antecedents, and motives. In Personality psychology in the workplace, ed. B. W. Roberts and R. Hogan, 45-61. Washington, dc: American Psychological Association. https://doi.org/10.1037/10434-002.
- Carrel, M. R., Mann, E. E., and Sigler, T. H. (2006). Defining workforce diversity programs and practices in organizations: a longitudinal study. Labor Law Journal. Spring, 57(1), 5-12. Retrieved from www.emeraldinsight.com.
- Childs, J. (2016). Managing workforce diversity at IBM: A global HR topic that has arrived. Human Resource Management, 44(1), 73-77. DOI:http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/hrm.20042.
- CIPD (2014). Employee Turnover and Retention. Turnover-retention.aspx. Available at: https://www.cipd.co.uk/knowledge/strategy/resourcing/turnover-retention-factsheet.
- Cox, T.H. (2001). Cultural diversity in organisations: theory, research and practice.SanFrancisco, CA: Berrett-Koehler. Human Resource Development Review, 10(1), 7-30. doi:10.100711618-007-0003-1.
- Creswell, J. W. (2009). Educational research Planning, conducting and evaluating quantitative and qualitative research. (2nd Ed) Upper Saddle River, N.J: Pearson Education. Available at: https://trove.nla.gov.au/work/10569727.
- Danladi, S.S. (2013). Language policy: Nigeria And the role of English language in the 21st Century. European Scientific Journal, 9(17). https://books.google.com.ng/books?id=G.
- Daudi, P., Nguyen, K. (2010). The Ethical Challenge of Multinational Corporations in Inadequate Institutions: The Case of Shell in Nigeria (November 30, 2010). Available at SSRN: http://ssrn.com/abstract=2039786 or http://dx.doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.2039786.
- Ditomasso, N. (2015). Understanding the Effects of Workforce Diversity on Employment Outcomes: A Multidisciplinary and Comprehensive Framework. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the American Sociological Association, Hilton SanFrancisco and Renaissance. San Francisco. Emerald Group Publishing Limited. Retrieved from http://www.allacademic.com.
- Duncan, C. (2013). Assessing Ant-Ageism Routes to Older Worker Re-Engagement. Work Employment And Society, 17(1), 101-120. Available at: http://www.ijhssnet.com/journals/Vol_6_No_6_June_2016/8.pdf.
- Erasmus, L. J. (2016). The Management of Workforce Diversity and the Implications for Leadership at Financial Asset Services. Business Management, University of Johannesburg. PhD Thesis. Available at: file:///C:/Users/HP/Downloads/PDF%20Document.pdf.
- Friday, E., Friday, S.S. (2013). Managing diversity using a strategic planned change Approach. Journal of Management Development, 22, 863-880. doi:10.1108/02621710310505467.
- Gelner, B., Veen, S. (2013). Positive Effects of Aging And Age Diversity In Innovative Companies: Large Scale Empirical Evidence on Company Productivity. Human Resource Management Journal, 3(3), 279-295. https://doi.org/10.1111/1748-8583.12011.
- Greenberg, J. (2012). Diversity in the Workplace: Benefits, Challenges and Solutions. Retrieved on February 27, 2014 from http://diversity.sdce.edu/content/diversity-workplace-benefits-challenges-and-solutions.
- Griffeth, W., Hom, W. (2001). Retaining valued employees. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage. Available at: https://books.google.com.ng.
- Gupta R. (2013). Workforce Diversity and Organizational Performance. International Journal of Business Management Invention, 2(61), 36-44. Available at: http://www.ijhssnet.com/journals/Vol_6_No_6_June_2016/8.pdf.
- Harrison, D. A., Price, K. H. & Bell, M. P. (1998). Beyond relational demography: Time and the effects of surface- and deep-level diversity on work group cohesion. Academy of Management Journal, 41(1), 96-107. DOI: 10.2307/256901https://www.jstor.org/stable/256901.
- Hassan, O. M. (2013). The Inevitability of Multinational Corporations towards Achieving Sustainable Development in Developing Economies: A Case Study of the Nigerian Economy. American Journal of Business and Management, 2(3), 256-265. DOI: 10.11634/216796061302415.
- Kochan, T., Bezrukova, K., Ely, R., Jackson, S., Joshi, A., Jehn, K., Leonard, J., Levine, & Thomas (2012). The effects of diversity on business performance: Report of the diversity research network. Journal of Human Resources Management, 42(1), 3-21. https://doi.org/10.1002/hrm.10061.
- Konrad, Alison M. (2003). Managing Workforce Diversity in Competitive Environment. Group & Organization Management, 28(1). https://doi.org/10.1177/1059601102250013.
- Long, S., Perumal, P. and Ajagbe, M., (2012). The Impact of Human Resource Management Practices on Employees Turnover Intention: A Conceptual Model. Interdisciplinary Journal of Contemporary Research in Business, 4(2), 629-641. Available at: https://journal-archieves19.webs.com/629-641.pdf.
- Maurer, T. J., Wrenn, K. A., Pierce, H. R., Tross, S. A., Collins, W. C. (2013). Beliefs about ‘improvability’ of career-relevant skills: Relevanceto job/task analysis, competency modelling, and learning. https://doi.org/10.1002/job.182.
- Maxwell, G. A., Blair, S., McDougall, M. (2015). Edging towards managing diversity in practice. Employee Relations, 23(5), 468-482. https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org.
- Meyer, J. and Sternthal, B. (1991). Gender Differences in the Use of Message Cues and Judgments. Journal of Marketing Research, 28 (February), 84-96. https://doi.org/10.1177/002224379102800107.
- Ndubisi, N. O. (2006). Effect of gender on customer loyalty: a relationship marketing approach. Marketing Intelligence and Planning, 24(1), 48-61. https://doi.org/10.1108/02634500610641552.
- Oliver, Richard L. (1999). Whence Consumer Loyalty? Journal of Marketing, 63 (Special Issue), 33-44. https://doi.org/10.1177/00222429990634s105.
- Ogunyinka, E.K. (2013). Higher education funding and cost sharing: case study of universities in Nigeria. Academic Research International, 4(5). Available at: https://www.scribd.com/document/.
- Ojo, G. U. (2012). Economic diversification and second-tier political conflict:assessing bitumen political ecologies in southwest Nigeria. Singapore Journal of Tropical Geography, 33(1), 49-62. doi:10.1111/j.1467-9493.2012.00447.x.
- Okpanachi, E. (2012). Ethno-religious Identity and Conflict in Northern Nigeria. Available at: http://www.cetri.be/spip.php?article2470&lang=fr (Accessed 6 October 2014).
- Otike W., Messah B., & Mwaleka K. (2010). Effects of Workforce Diversity on Organizational Effectiveness: A Case Study On Kenya Commercial Bank Ltd. Journal Of Business And Management. Available at: www.iiste.org.
- Ozbilgin M., Tatli A. (2016). Global diversity management: An evidence-based Approach. London, England: Palgrave. Available at: https://www.academia.edu/165112.
- Pan, Y., & Zinkhan G.M. (2006). Determinants of retail patronage: A meta-analytical prospective. Journal of Retailing, 83(1), 229-243. Available at: https://ecommons.udayton.edu/mgt_fac_pub/47/.
- Porter, M. (1987). From competitive advantage to corporate strategy. Harvard Business Review, May – June, 43-59. Available at: https://maaw.info/ArticleSummaries/ArtSumPorter1987.htm.
- Price, J. L. (1977). The Study of Turnover. Ames, Iowa: Iowa State University Press (Book review). Work and Occupations, 5(4). https://doi.org/10.1177/073088847800500406.
- Ricardo, R. (2016). Corporate Performance Management: How to Build A Better Organization Through Measurement Driven Strategies Alignment. Butterworth Heinemann. Available at: https://trove.nla.gov.au/work/32533654.
- Richard, O. C. (2014). Racial diversity, business strategy and firm performance: A resource based view. Academy of Management Journal, 43, 164-177. https://doi.org/10.5465/1556374.
- Roberson, M.Q. & Park, H. J. (2007). Examining The Link Between Diversity And Firm Performance: The Effects of Diversity Reputation and Leader Racial Diversity. Group & Organizational Management, 32(5). DOI: 10.1177/1059601106291124.
- Singh, Ramadhar, and Soo Yan Ho (2000). Attitudes and Attraction: A New Test of the Attraction, Repulsion and Similarity-Dissimilarity Asymmetry Hypotheses. British Journal of Social Psychology, 39(2), 197-211. https://doi.org/10.1348/014466600164426.
- Sungjoo and Hal Rainey (2010). Managing Diversity in U.S. Federal Agencies: Effects of Diversity and Diversity Management on Employee Perceptions of Organizational Performance. Public Administration Review, 70(1), 109-121.
- Tajfel, H. (1986). Differentiation between social groups: studies in the social psychology of intergroup relations. Academic Press, New York. DOI: 10.1111/j.1540-6210.2009.02115.x.
- Taylor, S. (2002). The Employee Retention Handbook. London: CIPD. Available at: https://www.pearson.com/uk.
- Thomas, D. A. & Eli, R. J. (2014). Making differences matter: A new paradigm for managing diversity. Harvard Business Review. September-October, 77-90. Available at: https://hbr.org/1996/09/making.
- Torrington, D., Hall, L., and Taylor, S. (2015). Human Resource Management. Sixth Edition. London: Pearson education Ltd. Available at: https://www.amazon.co.uk.
- Zheng, C., Hyland, P., & Soosay, C. (2013). Training practices of multinational companies in Asia. Journal of European Industrial Training, 31(6), 472-494. DOI: 10.1108/03090590710772659