Professor, Huizenga College of Business and Entrepreneurship, Nova Southeastern University, Fort Lauderdale, Florida, USA
PhD Candidate, Faculty of Public Administration, Ramkhamhaeng University, Bangkok, Thailand
Workplace mobbing and bullying are the most pressing and urgent problems which employees, managers and executives of most businesses can face in their day-to-day activities. The HR managers are responsible for the effectiveness of the processes in the workplace management and for protecting employees from unfair harassment and humiliation. The systematization of literary sources enabled us to make conclusions that the most common forms of workplace mobbing include the spreading of malicious gossip aimed at ridiculing and bullying the victim in a department or organization. It is quite often that a gossip is a malicious tool for distorting personal information that has nothing to do with the victim’s professional competence. In an extreme case, such humiliations may be distributed beyond the office or scope of the employee’s activity. The purpose of the research is to investigate various forms of workplace mobbing as well as its impact on employees, their ability to work in a team, and their effective operation in the company. The article substantiates the role of the HR department in controlling workplace mobbing, the primary function of which is to support the organization’s ability to always improve its work efficiency. Given their job responsibilities, HR managers should focus on the legal, ethical, and socially responsible aspects of the company on the implementation of the policy, which forms team relationships due to the principles of mutual respect and dignity under conditions of an inclusive work environment. Besides, managers can take measures to identify, prevent, and effectively resolve daily differences and conflicts promptly. The purpose of these activities is to help employees behave properly, rationally, and professionally, objectively adhering to policies and instructions, thereby creating a supportive workplace environment. The results of the research can be useful for HR managers to make sure all employees can work in a safe and healthy work environment.
Keywords: workplace mobbing, mobbing, bullying, harassment, HR management, stonewalling, violence.
JEL Classification: D73, L51, M31, I32.
Cite as: Mujtaba, B. G., Senathip, T. (2020). Workplace Mobbing and the Role of Human Resources Management. Business Ethics and Leadership, 4(1), 17-34. http://doi.org/10.21272/bel.4(1).17-34.2020.
- Ågotnes, K. W., Einarsen, S. V., Hetland, J., & Skogstad, A. (2018). The moderating effect of laissez‐faire leadership on the relationship between co‐worker conflicts and new cases of workplace bullying: A true prospective design. Human Resource Management Journal, 28(4), 555-568. Link: https://doi-org.ezproxylocal.library.nova.edu/10.1111/1748-8583.12200.
- Appelbaum, S. H., Semerjian, G. & Mohan, K. (2012). Workplace bullying: consequences, causes and controls (part two). Industrial and Commercial Training, 44(6), 337-344. DOI:10.1108/00197851211254770.
- Appelbaum, S. H., Delage, C., Labib, N., and Gault, G. (1997). The survivor syndrome: Aftermath of downsizing. Career Development International, 2(6), 278-286. DOI:10.1108/13620439710178639.
- Baillien, E., Camps, J., Van den Broeck, A., Stouten, J., Godderis, L., Sercu, M., & De Witte, H. (2016). An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind: Conflict escalation into workplace bullying and the role of distributive conflict behavior. Journal of Business Ethics, 137(2), 415-429. Link: https://doi-org.ezproxylocal.library.nova.edu/10.1007/s10551-015-2563-y.
- Baruch Y. and Hind P. (2000). ‘Survivor syndrome’ – a management myth? Journal of Managerial Psychology, 15, 29-45. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1108/02683940010305289.
- Cavico, F. J., Mujtaba, B. G., Lawrence, E. T., and Muffler, S. (2018). Examining the Efficacy of the Common Law Tort of Intentional Infliction of Emotional Distress and Bullying in the Context of the Employment Relationship. Business Ethics and Leadership, 2(2), 14-31. Link: https://armgpublishing.sumdu.edu.ua/journals/bel/volume-2-issue-2/article-2/.
- Cavico, F. J., Mujtaba, B.G., and Muffler, S. (Spring 2016). Covenant-Not-To-Compete: The Relationship of Training and Education Criteria to Enforceability. SAM Advanced Management Journal, 81(2), 45-59. Link: https://www.questia.com/library/journal/1G1-460761250/covenants-not-to-compete-the-relationship-of-training.
- Cavico, F. J. and Mujtaba, B. G. (2020). Business Law for the Entrepreneur and Manager (4th edition). ILEAD Academy. Florida. Link: https://www.amazon.com/Business-Entrepreneur-Manager-Frank-Cavico/dp/1936237172/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Frank+Cavico&qid=1585923668&sr=8-1.
- Comaford, C. (2016, September 20). 75% Of Workers Are Affected By Bullying – Here’s What To Do About It. Retrieved January 12, 2020 from: https://www.forbes.com/sites/christinecomaford/2016/08/27/the-enormous-toll-workplace-bullying-takes-on-your-bottom-line/#38cba9d45595.
- CUPA-HR (2017). HR’s Role in Managing Bullying and Harassment at Work. Available at: https://www.cupahr.org/blog/hrs-role-in-managing-bullying-and-harassment-at-work/.
- Datta, D. K., Guthrie, J. P., Basuil, D., and Pandey, A. (2010). Causes and Effects of Employee Downsizing: A Review and Synthesis. Journal of Management, 36(1), 281-348. DOI:10.1177/0149206309346735.
- Dalton, M. (1948). The Industrial “Rate Buster”: A Characterization. Human Organization, 7(1), 5-18. DOI: 10.17730/humo.7.1.f461ht3145154752.
- Davenport, N., Distler Schwartz, R. & Pursell Elliott, G. (1999). Mobbing: Emotional Abuse in the American Workplace. Iowa: Civil Society Publishing. Available at: http://aleph.unisg.ch/hsgscan/hm00019761.pdf.
- De Cieri, H., Sheehan, C., Donohue, R., Shea, T., & Cooper, B. (2019). Workplace bullying: an examination of power and perpetrators. Personnel Review, 48(2), 324-341. Link: https://doi-org.ezproxylocal.library.nova.edu/10.1108/PR-02-2018-0057.
- Duffy, M., & Sperry, L. (2012). Mobbing: Causes, consequences, and solutions. Retrieved from https://ebookcentral.proquest.com.
- Duffy, M. & Sperry, L. (2013). Overcoming Mobbing: A Recovery Guide for Workplace Aggression and Bullying. USA: Oxford University Press. Retrieved from https://ebookcentral.proquest.com
- Fader, S. (2018, January 23). Are You Suffering From Workplace Mobbing? Here’s How To Handle It. Retrieved November 30, 2019, from: https://www.betterhelp.com/advice/behavior/are-you-suffering-from-workplace-mobbing-heres-how-to-handle-it/.
- Georgakopoulos, A. & Kelly, M. P. (2017). Tackling workplace bullying. International Journal of Workplace Health Management, 10(6), 450-474. DOI: 10.1108/ijwhm-11-2016-0081.
- Gleason, M. (2017, December 13). HR’s Role in Managing Bullying and Harassment at Work. Retrieved from https://www.cupahr.org/blog/hrs-role-in-managing-bullying-and-harassment-at-work/.
- Gordon, S. (2019, November 19). How Workplace Bullies Pick Their Targets. Retrieved from: https://www.verywellmind.com/reasons-why-workplace-bullies-target-people-460783.
- Gordon, S. (2019). The Effects of Workplace Bullying. Retrieved from: https://www.verywellmind.com/what-are-the-effects-of-workplace-bullying-460628.
- Hamblen, K. (2018, July 24). Mobbing in the Workplace. Retrieved from https://www.legalmatch.com/law-library/article/mobbing-in-the-workplace.html.
- Hamblen, K. (2018). What is Mobbing in the Workplace? LegalMatch. Available at: https://www.legalmatch.com/law-library/article/mobbing-in-the-workplace.html.
- Heathfield, S. M. (2019). Here Is a Look at the Effects of Downsizing on Surviving Employees. January 5, 2019 from: https://www.thebalancecareers.com/how-employees-respond-to-change-after-layoffs-1918585.
- Henshaw, S. (2018, July 8). Bullying at Work: Workplace Mobbing is on the Rise. Retrieved from https://psychcentral.com/blog/bullying-at-work-workplace-mobbing-is-on-the-rise/.
- Hirsch, A. (2010, January 4). Bullying in the workplace on the rise. Retrieved from: https://www.theguardian.com/money/2010/jan/04/bullying-workplace-recession.
- How to Prevent Bullying & Mobbing in the Workplace? (February 7, 2017). Formaspace.com. Link: https://formaspace.com/articles/workplace-bulletin/prevent-bullying-mobbing-in-the-workplace/.
- Huang, J. L., Ryan, A. M., and Mujtaba, B. G. (2015). Vicarious experience of justice: when unfair treatment of one’s colleague matters. Personnel Review, 44(6), 826-846. Link: https://www.emerald.com/insight/content/doi/10.1108/PR-02-2013-0026/full/html.
- Kyaw, A.M.M., Harland, P., and Mujtaba, B.G. (June 2017). Global Management Skills and Attributes for International Business. Journal of International Relations and Foreign Policy, 5(1), 1-16. Link: http://jirfp.com.com/current-jirfp.
- Kurebwa, J. (2011). Organisational downsizing and its impact on leavers and survivors: The case of the reserve Bank of Zimbabwe. Journal of Emerging Trends in Economic and Management Sciences, 2(4), 264-269. Link: https://journals.co.za/content/sl_jetems/2/4/EJC134340.
- Latack, J. C., Kinicki, A. J., and Prussia, G. E. (1995). An integrative process model of coping with job loss. Academy of Management Review, 20, 311-335. Link: https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.1995.9507312921.
- Lowe, J. (2017, November 28). How Should HR Handle Workplace Bullying: LaborSoft. Retrieved from: https://www.laborsoft.com/blog/how-should-hr-handle-workplace-bullying.
- Maran, D. A., Bernardelli, S., & Varetto, A. (2018, January). Mobbing (bullying at work) in Italy: characteristics of successful court cases. Retrieved November 30, 2019, from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29187725.
- McLaughlin, K. (2014). Viewpoint workplace bullying: A silent epidemic. Society of Human Resource Management. Retrieved from https://www.shrm.org.
- Morrison Kenney, R. (2014). Mobbing in the Context of a Woman’s Life. Workplace, 24, 42-51. Retrieved on November 30, 2019 from: http://eds.b.ebscohost.com.ezproxylocal.library.nova.edu/eds/pdfviewer/pdfviewer?vid=43&sid=c8294b95-7f1d-48c7-bc23-df3effac0603%40pdc-v-sessmgr05.
- Mossholder, K.W., Settoon, R.P., Armenakis, A.A., and Harris, S.G. (2000). Emotion during organizational transformations. An interactive model of survivor reactions. Group and Organization Management, 25, 220-243. DOI: 10.1177/1059601100253002.
- Mujtaba, B. G. (2014). Managerial Skills and Practices for Global Leadership. ILEAD Academy: Davie, Florida. Available at: https://www.amazon.com/Managerial-Skills-Practices-Global-Leadership/dp/1936237067.
- Mujtaba, B. G. (2010). Workforce Diversity Management: Challenges, Competencies and Strategies (2nd edition). ILEAD Academy: Florida. Available at: https://nsuworks.nova.edu/hcbe_facbooks/93/.
- Mujtaba, B. G., Cavico, F. J., and Senathip, T. (2020). Strategies for Personal, Organizational and Professional Leadership Success. Scientific Journal of Research & Reviews, 2(3), 1-10. DOI:10.33552/SJRR.2020.02.000538. Link: https://irispublishers.com/sjrr/volume2-issue3.php.
- Mujtaba, B. G., Ping, H., and Jieqiong, C. (2013). A Cross-cultural Analysis of Management Skills with Chinese, Iranian, Pakistanis, Thai, and American Managers. SAM Advanced Management Journal, 78(1), 50-67. Link: https://search.proquest.com/openview/dffef1a721ae6361d27b9561ea22b420/1?pq-origsite=gscholar&cbl=40946.
- Mujtaba, B. G. and McCartney, T. (2010). Managing Workplace Stress and Conflict amid Change, 2nd edition. ILEAD Academy; Florida.
- Murell, Audrey (August 27, 2018). When Top Performers are Bullied Inclusive Organizations Suffer. Forbes.com. Link: https://www.forbes.com/sites/audreymurrell/2018/08/27/when-top-performers-are-bullied-inclusive-organizations-suffer/#67a0e93197b4.
- Noe, R. A., Hollenbeck, J. R., Gerhart, B. & Wright, P. M. (2018). Human Resource Management: Gaining a Competitive Advantage (11th Ed.). New York: McGraw-Hill.
- O’Brien, M. (2019). Here’s Why So Many Workplace Issues Go Unreported. Retrieved from: https://hrexecutive.com/heres-why-so-many-workplace-issues-go-unreported/.
- Petersen, Lainie (January 24, 2019) What Is Mobbing at the Workplace? Chron.com. Link: https://smallbusiness.chron.com/mobbing-workplace-43426.html.
- Petzall, B. J., Parker, P. E., and Stoeberl, P. (2000). Another side to downsizing: survivors’ behavior and self-affirmation. Journal of Business Psychology, 14, 593-603. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1022990214073.
- Powers, J. L, Brotheridge, C. M, Blenkinsopp, J., Bowes-Sperry. L., Bozionelos, N., Buzady, Z., Chuang, A., Drnevich, D., Garzon-Vico, A., Leighton, C., Madero, S. M., Mak, W., Mathew, R., Monserrat, S. I., Mujtaba, B. G., Olivas-Lujan, M. R., Polychroniou, P., Sprigg, C. A., Axtell, C., Holman, D. Ruiz-Gutierrez, J.A., and Obiajulu Nnedum, A. U. (2013). Acceptability of workplace bullying: A comparative study on six continents. Journal of Business Research, 66(1), 374-380. Link: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0148296311002955?via%3Dihub.
- Ramlall, S. J., Al-Sabaan, S., and Magbool, S. (2014). Layoffs, Coping, and Commitment: Impact of Layoffs on Employees and Strategies Used in Coping with Layoffs. Journal of Management and Strategy, 5(2), 25-30. DOI:10.5430/jms.v5n2p25.
- Robinson, B. (2019, October 11). New Study Says Workplace Bullying on Rise: What You Can Do During National Bullying Prevention Month. Retrieved from: https://www.forbes.com/sites/bryanrobinson/2019/10/11/new-study-says-workplacebullying-on-rise-what-can-you-do-during-national-bullying-preventionmonth/#76ae291b2a0d.
- Saltmarsh, M. (2007, February 5). The Workplace: It’s called mobbing – Business – International Herald Tribune. Retrieved January 13, 2020 from: https://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/05/business/worldbusiness/05iht-workcol06.4474372.html.
- Sarwar, A., Khan, M. M., and Mujtaba, B. G. (2018). Managing Despotic Leadership, Workplace Ostracism and Knowledge Hoarding: a Serial Mediation Model. Advanced Management Journal, 82(4), 4-19. Link: https://www.questia.com/library/journal/1G1-567547340/despotic-leadership-workplace-ostracism-and-knowledge.
- Schmitt, A., Borzillo, S. and Probst, G. (2012). Don’t let knowledge walk away: Knowledge retention during employee downsizing. Management Learning, 43(1), 53-74. Link: https://doi.org/10.1177/1350507611411630.
- Segal, L. (2017, December 5). The Injury of Mobbing in the Workplace. Retrieved from: https://conflictremedy.com/the-injury-of-mobbing-in-the-workplace/.
- Seidel, M. (2019, January 24). Smallbusiness.Chron.com. What is mobbing at the workforce. Retrieved December 29, 2019 from: https://smallbusiness.chron.com/mobbing-workplace-43426.html.
- Senathip, T., Mujtaba, B. G., and Cavico, F. J. (2017). Policy-Making Considerations for Ethical and Sustainable Economic Development. Economy, 4(1), 7-14. DOI:https://doi.org/10.20448/journal.502.2017.41.7.14.
- Sheenan, M. (2004). Workplace Mobbing: a proactive response. Department of Management – Griffith University 2004. Retrieved from: http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.588.6134&rep=rep1&type=pdf.
- Shelton, T. L. (2011). Mobbing, Byllying, and Harassment: A Silent Dilemma in the Workplace. Research Papers, 149. Masters of Science: Southern Illinois University Carbondale. Link: 49. http://opensiuc.lib.siu.edu/gs_rp/149.
- Sperry, M. D. (2012). Mobbing: Causes, Consequences & Solutions . Oxford University Press.
- Sungwan, Patcharin, Deoisres, Wannee and Chaimongkol, Nuijjaree (2017). Perceptions of Newly Registered Thai Nurses about Workplace Bullying. Thai Pharm Health Science Journal, 12(3), 101-107. Link: https://www.semanticscholar.org/paper/Perceptions-of-Newly-Registered-Thai-Nurses-about-Sungwan-Deoisres/ab23bbaf172fc94f3d21d8a5773b7bc18911febf.
- Travaglione, A. and Cross, B. (2006). Diminishing the social network in organizations: Does there need to be such a phenomenon as ‘survivor syndrome’ after downsizing? Strategic Change, 15(1), 1-13. Link: https://espace.curtin.edu.au/handle/20.500.11937/21041.
- Uhlig, D. K. (November 21, 2017). How Does Downsizing impact the Role of Human Resource Management? Retrieved January 15, 2019 from: https://smallbusiness.chron.com/downsizing-impact-role-human-resource-management-38669.html.
- Vandekerckhove, W. & Commers, M. R. (2003). Downward Workplace Mobbing: A Sign of the Times? Journal of Business Ethics, 45(1), 41-50. Link: https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1024168311652.
- Vartia, M. (1996). The sources of bullying – psychological work environment and organizational climate. European Journal of Work and Organizational Psychology, 5(2), 203-214. Link: https://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=The+sources+of+bullying+-psychological+work+environment+and+organizational+climate&hl=fr&as_sdt=0&as_vis=1&oi=scholart.
- Wall, A. E., Smith, R. A., & Nodoushani, O. (2018). Bullying in the workplace: The great balancing act of victim rights and organizational policies. Journal of Competitiveness Studies, 26(1/2), 107-123. Retrieved from: http://search.ebscohost.com.ezproxylocal.library.nova.edu/login.aspx?direct=true&db=buh&AN=134705454&site=ehost-live.
- Workplace Bullying Institute (2019). The WBI definition of workplace mobbing. Retrieved from https://www.workplacebullying.org/individuals/problem/being-bullied/.
- Yamada, M. D. (2018). Workplace Bullying and Mobbing in The United States . ABC-CLIO, LLC.
- Zachariadou, T., Zannetos, S., Chira, S. E., Gregoriou, S., & Pavlakis, A. (2017, December 5). Prevalence and Forms of Workplace Bullying Among Health-care Professionals in Cyprus: Greek Version of “Leymann Inventory of Psychological Terror” Instrument. Retrieved November 28, 2019, from https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2093791116301433.