Professor, Engineering School of Lorena, University of São Paulo, São Paulo, Brazil
Technologist, National Institute for Space Research, São Paulo, Brazil
Strategic planning is an organizational process, the purpose of which is to conceive, formulate and manage the strategies implementation in the enterprise. The implementation of strategic planning involves the implementation of a set of actions aimed at taking the organization from a known position to a more desirable position, creating sustainable competitive advantages. This study deals with substantiating the role and importance of organizational strategic planning in the development of the organization using a systems approach. Systems engineering consists of a multidisciplinary and collaborative engineering approach, the purpose of which is to derive, develop and verify the effectiveness of decisions or the functioning of the system throughout its life cycle to satisfy the needs, expectations and desires of stakeholders. The purpose of this article is critically to analyze the Andrade method by comparing the processes and tools used in this method with those obtained as a result of traditional strategic planning. The methods were compared by developing a case study conducted in a science, technology and innovation institution operating in Brazil and annually conducting strategic planning cycles, using traditional methodologies for managing and analyzing the effectiveness of the organization and defining strategies for its development. The paper using the engineering system, carries out the comparison of the applied phases and tools with the offers in the model. The obtained results prove disadvantages of the traditional strategic planning process in comparison with the model proposed by Andrade. The application of the proposed model would allow to obtain indicators, different from the results of traditional strategic planning, in terms of forming another set of strategies and tools to manage the organization’s development. The paper concludes that the model proposed by Andrade is more complex than the traditional one. It indicates the expediency of organizations using other tools to analyze and formulate company development strategies in the context of strengthening their competitive advantages and achieving strategic goals.
Keywords: Strategy, Strategic Planning, Strategic Planning Model, Strategic Management, Systems Engineering.
JEL Classification: L1, O21.
Cite as: Andrade, H. S., Loureiro, G. (2020). A Comparative Analysis of Strategic Planning Based on a Systems Engineering Approach. Business Ethics and Leadership, 4(2), 86-95. https://doi.org/10.21272/bel.4(2).86-95.2020.
- Andrade, H. S. (2008). Uma abordagem da engenharia de sistemas para o planejamento estratégico organizacional. 135f. Tese de Mestrado – Instituto Tecnológico de Aeronáutica, São José dos Campos. [A systems engineering approach to strategic organizational planning]. Available at: http://www.bdita.bibl.ita.br/tesesdigitais/lista_resumo.php?num_tese=000551300 (accessed May 26, 2020).
- Andrade, H. S., Loureiro, G. (2018A). An analysis on the application of the Strategic Planning model based on Systems Engineering. International journal of advanced engineering research and science, 5, 1-4. https://doi.org/10.22161/ijaers.5.7.1.
- Andrade, H. S., Loureiro, G. (2017). Planejamento Estratégico: uma abordagem de Engenharia de Sistemas. [Strategic Planning: a Systems Engineering approach]. Balti: Novas Edições Acadêmicas, 1, 111. Available at: (accessed May 26, 2020). ISBN: 978-620-2-40226-2.
- Andrade, H. S., Loureiro, G. (2018C). Proposta de um modelo de planejamento estratégico baseado em engenharia de sistemas. [Proposal for a strategic planning model based on systems engineering]. ESPACIOS (CARACAS), 39(13), 10. Available at: http://www.revistaespacios.com/a18v39n13/18391310.html (accessed May 26, 2020).
- Andrade, H. S., Loureiro, G. (2018B). Strategic Planning: a model based on Systems Engineering. International journal of advanced engineering research and science, 5, 67-71. https://doi.org/10.22161/ijaers.5.3.10.
- Chiavenato, I., Sapiro, A. (2003). Planejamento estratégico: fundamentos e aplicações, da intenção aos resultados. Rio de Janeiro: Elsevier. [Strategic planning: fundamentals and applications, from intention to results]. ISBN: 978853522666.
- Deglane, K. C. B., Loures, L. E. V. C., Silva, R. G. A., Andrade, H. S. (2017A). Proposta de um método para análise de stakeholders em projetos aeroespaciais. [Proposal for a method for stakeholder analysis in aerospace projects]. ESPACIOS (CARACAS), 38(24), 10. Available at: https://www.revistaespacios.com/a17v38n24/17382410.html (accessed May 26, 2020).
- Deglane, K. C. B., Loures, L. E. V. C., Silva, R. G. A., Andrade, H. S., Silva, M. B. (2017B). Stakeholders analysis in complex projects. International Journal of Humanities and Social Science Invention, 6, 73-81. Available at: http://www.ijhssi.org/papers/v6(9)/Version-4/L0609047381.pdf (accessed May 26, 2020).
- Elm, W. C.; Gualtieri, J. W.; Mckenna, B. P.; Tittle, J. S.; Peffer, J. E.; Szymczak, S. S.; Grossman, J. B. (2008). Integrating Cognitive Systems Engineering Throughout the Systems Engineering Process. Journal of Cognitive Engineering and Decision Make, 2(3), 249-273. Available at: https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf/10.1518/155534308X377108 (accessed May 26, 2020).
- Forsberg, K., Mooz, H. (1992). The relationship of systems engineering to the project cycle. Engineering Management Journal, 4(3), 36-43. https://doi.org/10.1080/10429247.1992.11414684.
- Instituto Nacional De Pesquisas Espaciais – INPE (2006A). Planejamento estratégico do INPE: metodologia e conceitos: apresentação ao grupo gestor. São José dos Campos, 2006A. [INPE’s strategic planning: methodology and concepts: presentation to the management group]. Available at: http://www.inpe.br/gestao/planejamento/documentos/arquivos/PE_Inpe_VisaoGeral.pdf (accessed May 24, 2020).
- Instituto Nacional De Pesquisas Espaciais – INPE. (2019). Plano Diretor 2016-2019. [2016-2019 Master Plan]. (accessed May 24, 2020). Available at: http://www.inpe.br/gestao/planejamento/plano-diretor/arquivos/Plano_Diretor_2016-2019.pdf.
- Instituto Nacional De Pesquisas Espaciais – INPE (2007). Plano Diretor do INPE 2007-2011: planejamento estratégico do INPE. São José dos Campos. [INPE Master Plan 2007-2011: INPE strategic planning]. Available at: http://www.inpe.br/gestao/planejamento/plano-diretor/arquivos/Plano_Diretor_2007-2011.pdf (accessed May 24, 2020).
- Instituto Nacional De Pesquisas Espaciais – INPE (2006B). O Foresight institucional como metodologia para o planejamento. São José dos Campos. Nota Técnica Metodológica. [Institutional Foresight as a methodology for planning]. Available at: www.inpe.br/gestao/planejamento/documentos/arquivos/Apresentacao2406.pd (accessed May 24, 2020).
- Keeling, R. (2002). Gestão de Projetos: uma abordagem global. São Paulo: Saraiva. [Project Management: a global approach]. ISBN: 9788502227101.
- Kerzner, H. (2002) Gestão de Projetos: as melhores práticas. Porto Alegre: Bookman. [Project Management: best practices]. ISBN: 9788582605295.
- Lin, H. E., Hsu, I. C., Hsu, A. W., Chung, H. M. (2020). Creating competitive advantages: Interactions between ambidextrous diversification strategy and contextual factors from a dynamic capability perspective. Technological Forecasting and Social Change, 154, 1-11. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.techfore.2020.119952.
- Loureiro, G. (1999). A system engineering and concurrent engineering framework for the integrated development of complex products. England: Loughborough University, 606 p. Available at: https://repository.lboro.ac.uk/articles/A_systems_engineering_and_concurrent_engineering_framework_for_the_integrated_development_of_complex_products/9544763 (accessed May 24, 2020).
- Meresa, M. (2019). The Effect of Strategic Management Practices on the institutional Performance; the case of Dedebit credit and saving institution in Eastern Tigray. SocioEconomic Challenges, 3(3), 80-97. http://doi.org/10.21272/sec.3(3).80-97.2019.
- Murman, E.; Allen, T.; Bozdogan, K.; Cutcher-Gershenfeld, J.; Mcmanus, H.; Nightingale, D.; Windnall, S. (2002). Lean enterprise value: Insights from MIT’S lean aerospace initiative. New York: Palgrave. https://doi.org/10.1057/9781403907509.
- Prazeres, P. M. (1996). Dicionário de termos da qualidade. São Paulo: Atlas. [Dictionary of quality terms]. ISBN: 9788522413850.
- Singh, S. P.; Singh, P. (2018). An Integrated AFS-Based SWOT Analysis Approach for Evaluation of Strategies Under MCDM Environment. Journal of Operations and Strategic Planning, 1(2), 129–147. https://doi.org/10.1177/2516600X18801689.
- Uzarski, D.; Broome, M. E. (2019). A Leadership Framework for Implementation of an Organization’s Strategic Plan. Journal of Professional Nursing, 35(1), 12-17. ISSN 8755-7223. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.profnurs.2018.09.007.
- Broome, M., Bowersox, D., Relf, M. (2017). A new funding model for nursing education through business development initiatives. Journal of Professional Nursing, 34(2), 97-102. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S8755722317302314.
- Tapinos, E., Dyson, R., Meadows, M. (2005). The impact of the performance measurement in strategic planning. International Journal of Productivity and Performance Management, 54(5), 370-384. https://www.emerald.com/insight/content/doi/10.1108/17410400510604539/full/html.
- Silva, F. A., Gonçalves, C. A. (2011). The process of formulating and implementing strategic planning in public sector institutions. Revista de Administração da UFSM, [S.l.], 4(3), 458-476. ISSN 1983-4659. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.5902/198346593833.
- Boscoianu, M., Prelipcean, G., Lupan, M. (2018). Innovation enterprise as a vehicle for sustainable development – A general framework for the design of typical strategies based on enterprise systems engineering, dynamic capabilities, and option thinking. Journal of Cleaner Production, 172, 3498-3507. ISSN 0959-6526. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2017.06.120.
- Price, R. R., Singh, B. P., Mackinnon, R. J., Sevougian, S. D. (2013). The application of systems engineering principles to the prioritization of sustainable nuclear fuel cycle options. Energy Policy, 53, 205-217, ISSN 0301-4215. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enpol.2012.10.051.
- Wolff, D., Brown, R., Curson, P., Ellis, R., Galliara, T., Harris, M. (2017). Early Lessons from the Application of Systems Engineering at UKAEA. IEEE Transactions on Plasma Science, 46(5), 1725-1734. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPS.2018.2819726.