PhD, Associate Professor, The Department of Marketing, Sumy State University, Sumy, Ukraine
PhD, Senior lecturer, The Department of Accounting and Taxation, Sumy State University, Sumy, Ukraine
Student, University of Applied Sciences of Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany
The article summarizes the arguments and counterarguments in the scientific discussion on the development of sustainable entrepreneurship. The main purpose of the study is to identify the essential characteristics and key determinants of success of sustainable entrepreneurship initiatives. Systematization of literature sources showed that the current stage of entrepreneurship is characterized by the transition from the concept of maximizing profitability to the formation of long-term sustainability. Existing theoretical and empirical research shows that sustainable entrepreneurship is an activity aimed at balancing economic, social and environmental challenges. The theoretical analysis of the results of basic research on sustainable entrepreneurship has identified a list of key internal and external determinants that contribute to the development of sustainable entrepreneurship. It is determined that the key internal characteristics of the entrepreneur are the level of his motivation and qualification. At the same time, among external factors, the education system, the availability of state environmental and social policy measures, as well as public perception and support of social and environmental initiatives play a significant role in promoting sustainable entrepreneurship. It is established that the existing empirical research revealed the differentiation of results for companies of different sizes and at different stages of operation, as well as depending on the form of ownership and sector of activity. The results of the analysis provide a scientific basis for further research on the key determinants of the effectiveness of sustainable entrepreneurship initiatives, the identification of the most promising sectors for social and environmental initiatives, and the study of links with social, environmental and economic parameters.
Keywords: Enterprise, Sustainability, Sustainable Entrepreneurship, Social Enterprise, Environmentally-Oriented Enterprise, Determinants.
JEL Classification: L26, L31, Q01, Q56.
Cite as: Starchenko, L.V., Samusevych, Ya., Demchuk, K. (2021). Social and Eco-Friendly Enterpreneurship: The Keys to Sustainability. Business Ethics and Leadership, 5(1), 118-126. https://doi.org/10.21272/bel.5(1).118-126.2021
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License
- Abereijo, I.O. (2016). Ensuring Environmental Sustainability through Sustainable Entrepreneurship. In book: Economic Modeling, Analysis, and Policy for Sustainability. Publisher: IGI GlobalEditors, pp.234-249. https://doi.org/10.4018/978-1-5225-0094-0.ch012.
- Abu-Saifan, S. (2012). Social Entrepreneurship: Definition and Boundaries. Technology Innovation Management Review. Available at: https://timreview.ca/sites/default/files/article_PDF/Saifan_TIMReview_February2012_2.pdf.
- Berard, C., and Saleilles, S. (2016). Sustainability-driven entrepreneurship and high-growth SMEs: How to combine Davids’ and Goliaths’ worlds? International Journal of Organisational Design and Engineering, 4(3/4), 195-212. Available at: https://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-01459141/document.
- Bianchi, R., and Noci, G. (1998). “Greening” SMEs’ Competitiveness. Small Business Economics, 11(3), 269-281. Available at: https://www.jstor.org/stable/40228980.
- Biewendt, M., Blaschke, F., Böhnert, A. (2020). An Evaluation of Corporate Sustainability in Context of The Jevons. SocioEconomic Challenges, 4(3), 46-65. https://doi.org/10.21272/sec.4(3).46-65.2020.
- Clemens, B. (2006). Economic incentives and small firms: Does it pay to be green? Journal of Business Research, 59(4), 492-500. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2005.08.006.
- Deloitte (2018). The rise of the social enterprise. 2018 Deloitte Global Human Capital Trends. Available at: https://www2.deloitte.com/content/dam/Deloitte/pa/Documents/human-capital/2018/2018-HCTrends_Rise-of-the-social-enterprise.pdf?fbclid=IwAR3POOk_06xvIkAmfYF8Rye2NXk5ITs8VqeHt20HSo83jJx-MHCXdScsUxg.
- Dhahri, S., and Omri, A. (2018). Entrepreneurship Contribution to the Three Pillars of Sustainable Development: What Does the Evidence Really Say? MPRA Paper, 84504. 47 p. Available at: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de/84504/1/MPRA_paper_84504.pdf.
- El Amri, A., Boutti, R., Rodhain, F. (2020). Sustainable Finance at the time of Institutions: Performativity through the lens of Responsible Management in Morocco. Financial Markets, Institutions and Risks, 4(2), 52-64. https://doi.org/10.21272/fmir.4(2).52-64.2020.
- European Commission (2021). Eco-innovation Action Plan. Available at: https://ec.europa.eu/environment/ecoap/index_en.htm_en.
- Fichter, K., and Tiemann, I. (2020). Impacts of promoting sustainable entrepreneurship in generic business plan competitions. Journal of Cleaner Production, 267, 122076, 14 p. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2020.122076.
- Greco, A., and de Jong, G. (2017). Sustainable entrepreneurship: definitions, themes and research gaps. University of Groningen. Centre for Sustainable Entrepreneurship Working paper series. 36 p. DOI:10.13140/RG.2.2.16751.12968.
- Husnain, M., Syed, F, Akhtar, W., & Usman, M. (2020). Effects of Brand Hate on Brand Equity: The Role of Corporate Social Irresponsibility and Similar Competitor Offer. Marketing and Management of Innovations, 3, 75-86. http://doi.org/10.21272/mmi.2020.3-06.
- Hussain, S.A., Haq, M.A.U., & Soomro, Y.A. (2020). Factors Influencing Consumers’ Green Purchase Behavior: Green Advertising as Moderator. Marketing and Management of Innovations, 4, 144-153. http://doi.org/10.21272/mmi.2020.4-11.
- Jahanshahi, A.A., Brem, A., and Bhattacharjee, A. (2017). Who Takes More Sustainability-Oriented Entrepreneurial Actions? The Role of Entrepreneurs’ Values, Beliefs and Orientations. Sustainability, 9(10), 1636. https://doi.org/10.3390/su9101636.
- Kaya, H.D. (2020). Business Friendliness, Firm Performance and Owner’s Optimism. Financial Markets, Institutions and Risks, 4(3), 13-23. https://doi.org/10.21272/fmir.4(3).13-23.2020.
- Konys, A. (2019). Towards Sustainable Entrepreneurship Holistic Construct. Sustainability, 11, 6749. https://doi.org/10.3390/su11236749.
- Lüdeke‐Freund, F. (2020). Sustainable entrepreneurship, innovation, and business models: Integrative framework and propositions for future research. Business Strategy and Environment, 29, 665-681. https://doi.org/10.1002/bse.2396.
- Moya-Clemente, I., Ribes-Giner, G., and Pantoja-Dı´az, O. (2020). Identifying environmental and economic development factors in sustainable entrepreneurship over time by partial least squares (PLS). PLoS ONE, 15(9), e0238462. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0238462.
- Nicholls, A. (2010). The legitimacy of social entrepreneurship: reflexive isomorphism in a pre‐paradigmatic field. Entrepreneurship theory and practice, 34(4), 611-633. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-6520.2010.00397.x.
- O’Neil, I., and Ucbasaran, D. (2016). Balancing “what matters to me” with “what matters to them”: Exploring the legitimation process of environmental entrepreneurs. Journal of Business Venturing, 31(2), 133-152. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusvent.2015.12.001.
- Păunescu, C., Drăgan, D., Cantaragiu, R., and Filculescu, A. (2013). Towards a Conceptualization of Social Entrepreneurship in Higher Education. The International Journal of Management Science and Information Technology, 10, 51-69. Available at: https://www.econstor.eu/bitstream/10419/97880/1/786337125.pdf.
- An Overview of Ecopreneurship, Eco-Innovation, and the Ecological Sector. Sustainability, 11, 2909. https://doi.org/10.3390/su11102909.
- Sajjad, M., Orangzab, Chani, M.I. (2020). Business Innovations for Unfolding Stratums of Human Development Indicators: A Worldwide Empirical Analysis. Marketing and Management of Innovations, 3, 11-21. http://doi.org/10.21272/mmi.2020.3-01.
- Saleem, F., Adeel, A., Ali, R., and Hyder, S. (2018). Intentions to adopt ecopreneurship: moderating role of collectivism and altruism. Entrepreneurship and Sustainability Issues, Entrepreneurship and Sustainability Center, 6(2), 517-537. https://doi.org/10.9770/jesi.2018.6.2(4).
- Schlange, L.E. (2006). What drives sustainable entrepreneurs. Applied Business and Entrepreneurship Association International Conference: 1-11. Available at: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/326543603_What_Drives_Sustainable_Entrepreneurs.
- Sharir, M., and Lerner, M. (2006). Gauging the success of social ventures initiated by individual social entrepreneurs. Journal of World Business, 41(1), 6-20. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jwb.2005.09.004.
- Shin, C., and Park, J. (2019). How Social Entrepreneurs’ Value Orientation Affects the Performance of Social Enterprises in Korea: The Mediating Effect of Social Entrepreneurship. Sustainability, 11, 5341. https://doi.org/10.3390/su11195341.
- Tarnanidis, T., and Papathanasiou, J. (2015). Sustainable entrepreneurship: What it is? Can we measure it? Proceedings of the 4th International Symposium & 26th National Conference on Operational Research. Technical University of Crete and the Hellenic Operational Research Society (HELORS), 4-6 June 2015, Chania-Greece. Available at: https://www2.deloitte.com/content/dam/Deloitte/pa/Documents/human-capital/2018/2018-HCTrends_Rise-of-the-social-enterprise.pdf.
- Tsalikis, J., Seaton, B. (2020). Corporate Social Responsibility: A Cross-National Study of the Treatment of Consumers and Employees. Business Ethics and Leadership, 4(2), 6-15. https://doi.org/10.21272/bel.4(2).6-15.2020.
- Ubreziova, I., Diacikova, A., Sokil, O., & Apostol, S. (2020). Innovation Ecosystems for the Moldovan Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises. Marketing and Management of Innovations, 2, 298-312. http://doi.org/10.21272/mmi.2020.2-22.
- Uhlaner, L.M., Berent, M.M., Jeurissen, R.J., and de Wit, G. (2010). Family ownership, innovation and other context variables as determinants of sustainable entrepreneurship in SMEs: An empirical research study. EIM Research Reports, 201006, 1-29. Available at: https://ideas.repec.org/p/eim/papers/h201006.html.
- Umadia, K.Sr., Kasztelnik, K. (2020). The Financial Innovative Business Strategies of Small to Medium Scale Enterprises in Developing Country and Influence for the Global Economy Performance. SocioEconomic Challenges, 4(3), 20-32. https://doi.org/10.21272/sec.4(3).20-32.2020.
- Urbaniec, M. (2018). Sustainable Entrepreneurship: Innovation-Related Activities in European Enterprises. Polish Journal of Environmental Studies, 27(4), 1773-1779. https://doi.org/10.15244/pjoes/78155