, PhD, Associate Professor, Department of Accounting and Taxation, Sumy State University, Ukraine
, PhD, Associate Professor, University of Miskolc, Hungary
This work presents the results of the investigation of trust to banks in European Union as well as in Ukraine. The special focus was on relevant documents that describe the strategic directions of the Ukrainian banking system’s future development in the context of restoring trust to banks. Furthermore, some of the quantitative results of the authors’ previous publications are summarized, as they may prove valuable in the study of the subject.
The authors concluded that the recent crisis is a stark reminder that banking functioning based on trusting. The dramatic changes in the banking environment brought about by financial innovation and technological progress have not diminished the role of trust in banking. Any lack of trust significantly impairs the functioning of the banking sector and prevents banks from contributing to economic growth.
Keywords: bank, central bank, monetary policy, trust in banks.
JEL Classification: E52, E58, G21.
Cite as: Savchenko, T., Kovács, L. (2017). Trust in the banking sector: EU experience and evidence from Ukraine. Financial Markets, Institutions and Risks, 1(1), 29-42. http://doi.org/10.21272/fmir.1(1).29-42.2017.
- Carbó-Valverde, S., Maqui-López, E., Rodríguez-Fernández, F. (2013). Trust in banks: Evidence from the Spanish financial crisis. 26th Australasian Finance and Banking Conference.
- Gill, A.S., Flaschner, A.B., Shachar, M. (2006). Factors that affect the trust of business clients in their banks. International Journal of Bank Marketing, 24(6), 384-405.
- Dincer, N., Eichengreen, B. (2013). Central Bank Transparency and Independence: Updates and New Measures. BOK Working Paper. Retrieved from http://media.hotnews.ro/media_server1/document-2013-09-16-15587972-0-bok-13-21-1.pdf. Accessed on: 03.07.2015.
- Eijffinger, S.C.W., Geraats, P.M. (2006). How Transparent Are Central Banks? European Journal of Po-litical Economy, 22(1), 1-21.
- Hyeongwoo, K. (2004): Hodrick-Prescott filter. Retrieved from http://www.auburn.edu/~hzk0001/hpfil-ter.pdf. Accessed on: 03.06.2012
- Knell, M., Stix, H. (2009): Trust in banks? Evidence from normal times and from times of crises. The Working Papers 158, published by Österreichische Nationalbank, Vienna.
- Kovács Levente & Terták Elemér (2016). Financial Literacy (Panacea or placebo? – A Central European Perspective). Retrieved from http://www.bankszovetseg.hu/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Financial-liter-acy-FINAL.pdf. Accessed on: 21.01.2017.
- Lebedyev, D. (2011). Determinations of trust in banks. Kyiv School of Economics.
- McCallum, B.T. (1988). Robustness properties of a rule for monetary policy. Carnegie Rochester Con-ference on Public Policy, 29(1), 173-203.
- Mosch, R., Prast, H. (2008). Confidence and trust: empirical investigations for the Netherlands and the
- financial sector. In: DNB Occasional Studies, 6(2), Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Mylovanov, T., Gorodnichenko, Y., Zholud, O., Bilan, O. (2016). Should Ukrainians praise the National Bank of Ukraine? Retrieved from http://voxukraine.org/2016/11/28/should-ukrainians-praise-the-na-tional-bank-of-ukraine-en/. Accessed on: 09.12.2016.
- Narayan, R.K. (1999). The Financial Expert (first published 1952). Published: University of Chicago Press.
- NBU – National Bank of Ukraine (1999). Law of Ukraine on the National Bank of Ukraine No. 679-XIV of 20 May 1999. Retrieved from https://bank.gov.ua/doccatalog/document?id=47478. Accessed on: 15.11.2016.
- NBU – National Bank of Ukraine (2000). Law of Ukraine on banks and banking activity. No. 2121-III.
- 7 December 2000. Retrieved from https://bank.gov.ua/doccatalog/document?id=47477. Accessed on: 15.11.2016.
- NBU – National Bank of Ukraine (2015a). Comprehensive program of the Ukrainian financial sector development up to 2020, NBU Board Resolution No. 391 of 18 June 2015. Retrieved from http://www.bank.gov.ua/doccatalog/ document?id=18563297. Accessed on: 07.10.2016.
- NBU – National Bank of Ukraine (2015b). Monetary policy guidelines for years 2016 – 2020, approved by the Council of the National Bank of Ukraine on September 2015. Retrieved from https://bank.gov.ua/doccatalog/document?id=29187325. Accessed on: 12.10.2016.
- NBU – National Bank of Ukraine (2016a). Financial stability report, Issue 1. Retrieved from https://bank.gov.ua/ control/uk/publish/category?cat_id=32252277. Accessed on: 15.10.2016.
- NBU – National Bank of Ukraine (2016b). Ukrainian Lending Survey. Retrieved from http://www.bank.gov.ua/ control/en/publish/category;jsessionid=23C2E90CB33227F1 F229E9B98AC9CB57?cat_id =20741795. Accessed on: 07.10.2016.
- NBU – National Bank of Ukraine (2016c). Business Outlook Survey. Retrieved from https://bank.gov.ua/ control/en/publish/category?cat_id=85948. Accessed on: 12.10.2016.
- Savchenko, T., Bielova, I. (2016. Impact of credit information on the banks stability: Global experience
- and lessons for Ukraine. In: Risk Governance & Control: Financial Markets & Institutions, 6(2), 28-34.
- Savchenko, T., Kozmenko, S. (2013). Development of an explicit rule of monetary policy for the economy of Ukraine. Investment Management and Financial Innovations International Research Journal, 10(1), 8-19.
- Savchenko, T., Kozmenko, S., Piontkovska, Y. (2014). Development and application of the monetary rule for the base interest rate of the National Bank of Ukraine. Banks and Bank Systems, 9(3), 50-58.
- Savchenko, T., Zakutniaia, A. (2016). Central bank transparency as a condition for effective monetary policy realization. In: Economy & Finance (English-language Edition of Gazdaság És Pénzügy), 3(3), 234-252.
- Taylor, J. B. (1999). A historical analysis of monetary policy rules. University of Chicago Press. http://www.nber.org/chapters/c7419 Accessed on: 27.07.2011.
- Ukraine and the IMF (2016). Letter of intent and memorandum of economic and financial policies. Re-trieved from http://www.imf.org/External/NP/LOI/2016/UKR/090116.pdf. Accessed on: 07.10.2016.
- Ukraine Crisis Media Center (2016). Trust in Ukrainian banks can be restored but it will take years and systematic reforms – experts. Retrieved from http://uacrisis.org/48788-vidnoviti-doviru-ukrayinskih-bankiv. Accessed on: 09.11.2016.