, Doctor of economic sciences, Docent, Professor of Banking Departments, Director Center for Social and Economic Research Kazakh University of Economics, Finance and International Trade, Astana, Republic of Kazakhstan
, Doctor, Professor, Head of Department of Finance, banking management and insurance, Sumy State University, Ukraine
, Ph.D, candidate in Economics, Senior lecturer of Department of Finance, banking management and insurance, Sumy State University, Ukraine
In the article the trajectory of state-owned banks by analyzing the patterns on the example of state-owned banks in Ukraine were investigated. The trajectory of the evolution of the state-owned banks can be defined ordered set of patterns, each of which describes the activities of the bank at a concrete moment of the time. It was considered the experience of state-owned banks in differently countries around the world. To assess the state-owned banks in Ukraine for the period 2007-2016 the authors was offered assess the dynamics model of patterns of state-owned banks based on Kohonen self-organizing maps and cluster analysis. The model has been included 14 indicators that have provided input variables of model formation. The model includes 35 banks of Ukraine, which has been operated during 2007-2016, including 7 state-owned banks. The authors proved that the Ukrainian state-owned banks are essentially commercial banks and non-state agents of a special mission, recently transformed into an additional burden for the state budget.
Keywords: banks, Harrington desirability function, cluster analysis, self-organizing map, pattern of bank.
JEL Classification: G21, G32.
Cite as: Mussina, A., Shkolnyk, I., Bukhtiarova, A. (2017). Trajectories of development of state-owned banks by analyzing the dynamics of patterns. Financial Markets, Institutions and Risks, 1(1), 61-71. http://doi.org/10.21272/fmir.1(1).61-71.2017.
- Association of German Public Banks, VÖB. Retrieved from https://www.voeb.de.
- Annual report (2015). Development Bank of Kazakhstan. Retrieved from http://www.dbk.kz/en/about/reports/.
- Krupka, M. (2014). Financial innovation of state-owned banks Ukraine. Financial Space, 4(16), 127-131.
- Heinz, R. (2009). State Financial Institutions: Mandates, Governance, and Beyond. World Bank Policy Research Working Paper, 5141.
- Report of the National Bank of the Republic of Kazakhstan for 2015. Retrieved from http://www.nationalbank.kz/cont/Annual%20Report_2015_3.pdf.
- Karas, A., Schoors, K., and Weill, L. (2008). Are Private Banks More Efficient Than Public Banks? Evidence from Russia. BOFIT Discussion Papers 3, Bank of Finland, BOFIT Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Kozmenko, S., Shkolnyk, I., Bukhtiarova, A. (2009). Dynamics patterns of banks evaluations based on Kohonen self-organizing maps. Banks and Bank Systems, 4(1). doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.21511/bbs.11.
- Kulpinska, L.K. (2013). Stimulating Investment Development through Transformation of State Banks.Activity. Business Inform, 12, 297-301.
- Onishchenko, V.V. (2012). Banks with state share in banking system of Ukraine. – Manuscript. Ph.D. Thesis.