, Project Manager, Public Accounting Department, Tunisian Ministry of Finance, Tunisia
, Ph.D., Head of Cherkasy Oblast Administration of JSC “State Savings Bank of Ukraine” (Oschadbank), Ukraine
The authors of a given article analyze the impact of increasing the share of state bank capital on such indicators of economic development and the financial system of the country as: the quality and depth of financial interme-diation, the level of confidence in the banking sector, the level of transaction costs, the policy of banks on lending to the private sector of the economy, the level of political engagement of the banking sector, quality of loan portfolios of commercial bankst rate of economic growth of the country and indicators of economic development. Calculations based on the example of Ukraine give grounds to assert that the existing model of functioning of state-owned banks has a negative impact on the development of the banking system and the economy as a whole.
Keywords: banks with state share, state banks, nationalized banks, subsidiary state banks, remedial bank, banking system.
JEL Classification: G21, G28.
Cite as: Atef, F. M., Onyshchenko, V. (2017). Does the growth of state bank capital stimulate the development of the financial sector and the economy? A look through the prism of the global financial crisis of 2008-2009. Financial Markets, Institutions and Risks, 1(2), 30-38. http://doi.org/10.21272/fmir.1(2).30-38.2017.
- Levy Yeyati, E., Micco, A., Panizza, U. (2004). Should the Government Be in the Banking Business? The Role of State-Owned and Development Banks. Inter-American Development Bank Working Paper 517. Available at http://www.iadb.org/.
- La Porta, R., Lôpez-de-Silanes, F., Shleifer, A. (2002). Government ownership of banks. Journal of Finance, 57 (1), 265-301.
- Korner, T., Schnabel, I. (2010). Public Ownership of Banks and Economic Growth The Role of Heterogeneity, Preprints of the Max Plancklnstitute for Research on Collective Goods, 2010/41, September 2010.
- Andrianova, S., Demetriades, P., Shortland, A. (2009). Is Government Ownership of Banks Really Harmful to Growth? University of Leicester Working Paper No. 09/11.
- Barth, J.R., Caprio G., Levine R. (2000). Banking Systems Around the Globe: Do Regulation and Ownership Affect Performance and Stability? // World Bank Working Paper 2325. URL: http://econ.worldbank.org.
- Das, Abhiman and Ghosh, Saibal (2007). Determinants of Credit Risk in Indian State-owned Banks: An Empirical Investigation. Published in: Economic Issues, 12 (2), 48-66.
- Glushkova, E.A. (2010). Banky s hosudarstvennym uchastyem v systeme fynansovoho posrednychestva na sovremennom étape [Banks with state participation in the system of financial intermediation at the present stage]. Dissertation abstract for Ph.D. in Economics degree by speciality 08.00.10 – Finance, Money Circulation and Credit, Moscow.
- La Porta, R., Lopez-de-Silanes, F. (1999). The benefits of privatization: Evidence from Mexico. Quarterly Journal of Economics, 114, 1193-1242.
- Shleifer, A. (1998). State versus private ownership. Journal of Economic Perspectives, 12.
- Beck, T., Crivelli, J.M., Summerhill, W. (2005). State bank transformation in Brazil Choices and consequences. Journal of Banking and Finance, 29.
- Osnovni pokaznyky diyalʹnosti bankiv Ukrayiny [Basic indicators of activity of Ukrainian banks]. Available at http:// www.bank.gov.ua/control/uk/publish/ article?art_id =36807&cat_id =36798.
- Dani finansovoyi zvitnosti bankiv Ukrayiny. Za stanom na 01.01.2011 [Data of financial reporting of Ukrainian banks. As of 01.01.2011]. Available at http://www.bank.gov.ua/ doccatalog/document?id=102699.