, PhD, University of Insurbia, Como, Italy
, PhD, Associate Professor, Department of Economics and Business Administration, Sumy State University, Ukraine
, Assistant, Department of Economics and Business Administration, Sumy State University, Ukraine
The main purpose of the study is the role and effect of fiscal decentralization on macroeconomic stability on key measures that represent different and independent indicators of the degree of fiscal decentralization. It is proposed to use the fiscal decentralization as an indicator of expenditure decentralization, which is calculated as the ratio of subnational to total government expenditure, income decentralization as the ratio of subnational own source revenue to total government revenue. Along with the indicators of fiscal decentralization, it is proposed to take into account the potential economic, political and institutional determinants of macroeconomic stability that can be classified into the following groups: growth and development; indicators of the labor market; openness of the economy; monetary indicators; independence of the central bank; political system; corruption. The application of the proposed determinants has shown a non-linear relationship between fiscal decentralization and macroeconomic stability.
Keywords: fiscal decentralisation, macroeconomic stability.
JEL Classification: E62, C33, O20, O40.
Cite as: Palienko M., Lyulyov O., Denysenko P. (2017). Fiscal Decentralisation as a Factor of Macroeconomic Stability of the Country. Financial Markets, Institutions and Risks, 1(4), 74-86. DOI: 10.21272/fmir.1(4).74-86.2017
- Adil, S., & Anwar, M. (2015). Impact of Fiscal Decentralization on Economic Growth: The Case of Pakistan. Pakistan Journal of Social Sciences (PJSS), 35(1), 91-107
- Ahangari, A., Arman, A., & Saki, A. (2014). The estimation of Iran’s macroeconomics instability index. Management Science Letters, 4(5), 871-882.
- Bodman, P., Campbell, H., Heaton, K. A., & Hodge, A. (2009). Fiscal decentralisation, macroeconomic conditions and economic growth in Australia. University of Queensland, School of Economics, MRG@ UQ Discussion Paper, (26). Retrieved from : http://www.uq.edu.au/economics/mrg/2609.pdf
- Boryslavska, O. M., Zaverukha, I. B., Shkolyk, A. M. (2012). Detsentralizatsiia publichnoi vlady : dosvid yevropeiskykh krain ta perspektyvy Ukrainy [Decentralization of public authority : experience of European countries and prospects of Ukraine]. Tsentr polityko-pravovykh reform. Kyiv, 128.
- Copenhagen criteria for membership in the European Union (information and analytical reference), (2017) Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine. Retrieved from: http://mfa.gov.ua/ua/page/open/id/774
- Corruption perceptions index. (2017). Transparency International. Retrieved from: https://www.transparency.org/research/cpi/overview
- Easterly, W., & Kraay, A. (2000). Small states, small problems? Income, growth, and volatility in small states. World development, 28(11), 2013-2027.
- Feltenstein, A., & Iwata, S. (2005). Decentralization and macroeconomic performance in China: regional autonomy has its costs. Journal of Development Economics, 76(2), 481-501.
- Fenira, M. (2014). Democracy: A determinant factor in reducing inflation. International Journal of Economics and Financial Issues, 4(2), 363-375.
- Gemmell, N., Kneller, R., & Sanz, I. (2013). Fiscal decentralization and economic growth: spending versus revenue decentralization. Economic Inquiry, 51(4), 1915-1931.
- Guarata, N., & Pagliacci, C. (2017). Understanding Financial Fluctuations and Their Relation to Macroeconomic Stability. Inter-American Development Bank, IDB WORKING PAPER SERIES Nº IDB-WP-799, 1-41
- Haghighi, H. K., Sameti, M., & Isfahani, R. D. (2012). The effect of macroeconomic instability on economic growth in Iran. Research in Applied Economics, 4(3), 39-61.
- Hurduzeu, G., & Lazar, M. I. (2015). An assessment of economic stability under the new European economic governance. Management Dynamics in the Knowledge Economy, 3(2), 301.
- ILO, U., & UNDESA, W. (2015). Macroeconomic stability, inclusive growth and employment. UN system task team on the post. Retrieved from: http://www.un.org/millenniumgoals/pdf/Think%20Pieces/ 12_macroeconomics.pdf
- International Monetary Fund,(2016). Corruption: costs and mitigating strategies, Fiscal Affairs and Legal Departments Corruption, Staff Discussion Notes SDN 16/05. Retrieved from: http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/sdn/ 2016/sdn1605.pdf
- Ionita, R. O. (2015). The Evolution Of The Macroeconomic Stabilisation Pentagon In Romania, Czech Republic And Hungary. The Annals of the University of Oradea , 25 (1), 733-741.
- Iqbal, N., & Nawaz, S. (2010). Fiscal decentralization and macroeconomic stability: Theory and evidence from Pakistan. MPRA Paper, No. 27184. Retrieved from : https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de/27184/
- Jalil, A. Z. A., Harun, M., & Mat, S. H. C. (2012). Decentralization and macroeconomic instability: The importance of political and institutional factors. Journal of Business and Policy Research, 7(1), 49-59.
- Jin, J., & Zou, H. F. (2002). How does fiscal decentralization affect aggregate, national, and subnational government size?. Journal of Urban Economics, 52(2), 270-293.
- King, D., & Ma, Y. (2001). Fiscal decentralization, central bank independence, and inflation. Economics Letters, 72(1), 95-98.
- Kmezic, S., Kaluðerovic, J., Jocovic, M., & Ðulic, K. (2016). Fiscal decentralisation and local government financing in Montenegro from 2002 to 2015. Lex Localis, 14(3), 431-450.
- Koziuk, V. (2016). Independence of Central Banks in Commodity Economies. Visnyk of the National Bank of Ukraine, (235), 6-25.
- Kuroyanagi, M., Yano, J., Nakanishi, Y., Komatsu, M., Futamura, H., & Mihira, T. (1996). Macroeconomic Stabilization and Monetary Policyof Four Asian CountriesJapan, Korea, Indonesia, and the Philippines-Targets, Effectiveness and Results-(in Japanese). Economic Analysis, 145, 9-197.
- Londar, L.P. (2017). The directions of the implementation of the policy of decentralization in the conditions of expansion of the rights of local authorities and ensuring their financial and budgetary autonomy. Analytical note. The National Institute for Strategic Studies– Retrieved from : http://www.niss.gov.ua/articles/2114/.
- Makreshanska, S., & Petrevski, G. (2015). Fiscal Decentralization and Inflation in Central and Eastern Europe. MPRA Paper No. 77596. Retrieved from : https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de/77596/
- Martinez-Vazquez, J. and Macnab, R. M. (2006) Fiscal Decentralization, Macrostability and Growth, Hacienda Pública Española / Revista de Economía Pública, 179(4), 25-49
- Ministry of Finance of Ukraine, (2017). Official web-site of the Ministry of Finance of Ukraine. Retrieved from : https://minfin.kmu.gov.ua/
- Monetary Policy Guidelines for years 2016 – 2020, (2015). National Bank of Ukraine. Retrieved from : https://bank.gov.ua/doccatalog/document?id=21512321
- Montiel, P., & Servén, L. (2006). Macroeconomic stability in developing countries: How much is enough?. The World Bank Research Observer, 21(2), 151-178.
- Neyapti, B. (2004). Fiscal decentralization, central bank independence and inflation: a panel investigation. Economics Letters, 82(2), 227-230.
- Oates, W. E. (2005). Toward a second-generation theory of fiscal federalism. International tax and public finance, 12(4), 349-373.
- Okonkwo, O. N., & Godslove, E. K. (2015). Fiscal Decentralization and Nigerian Macroeconomic Performance and Economic Stability. International Journal of Economics and Finance, 7(2), 113-121.
- Ostapchuk, V.O. (2017). Financial decentralization in Ukraine: current state and development prospects. International Humanitarian University Herald. Economics and Management, 23(2), 68-41
- Request for extended arrangement under the extended fund facility and cancellation of stand-by arrangement-staff report; press release; and statement by the executive director for Ukraine, (2015). Retrieved from : http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/scr/2015/cr1569.pdf
- Shah, A. (2006). Fiscal decentralization and macroeconomic management. International Tax and Public Finance, 13(4), 437-462.
- Shevchenko, O. (2008). Budget and financial decentralization in the context of improving the efficiency of regional governance. Retrieved from : http://old.niss.gov.ua/Monitor/april08/9.htm
- Skrypnychenko, M. (Eds.). (2012). Factors of Macroeconomic Instability in the System of Models of Economic Development. Institute for Economics and Forecasting, the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine. 720 p.
- State Statistics Service of Ukraine, (2017). Official website of Ukrgosstat. Retrieved from: https://ukrstat.org/en