,Associate Professor, Faculty of Commerce, Banaras Hindu University, India
, Research scholar, Faculty of Commerce, Banaras Hindu University, India
Corporate governance provides the guidelines to the companies how can be directed and controlled. The objective of this study is to examine the relationship between corporate governance mechanisms and profitability for the IT companies listed Indian stock Exchange. The focus was on some corporate governance mechanisms such as board size (BS), audit committee meeting (ACM), and audit committee independence (ACI). The dependent variables are return on assets (ROA), return on equity (ROE). While the control variable is firm size. The analysis results revealed a significant relationship between corporate governance variables board size, audit committee meeting, audit committee independence and firm size of the company and profitability measured by return on assets. However, the findings revealed that audit committee meeting and board size had insignificant relationship with profitability measuring by return on equity while audit committee independence and firm size significantly impacted. This study contributes to the literature by providing an analysis of the impact of corporate governance on profitability in Indian IT firms.
Keywords: Corporate Governance, Financial Performance, IT Firms, India.
JEL Classification: G3, G34.
Cite as: T. Prusty, Waleed M. Al-ahdal. (2018). Corporate Governance and profitability: Evidence from Indian IT companies. Financial Markets, Institutions and Risks, 2(3), 68-75. DOI: 10.21272/fmir.2(3).68-75.2018.
- Adjaoud, F., Zeghal, D., & Andaleeb, S. (2007). The effect of board’s quality on performance: A study of Canadian firms. Corporate Governance: An International Review, 15(4), 623-635. https://doi.org/10.1111 /j.1467-8683.2007.00592.x
- Aggarwal, P. (2013). Impact of corporate governance on corporate financial performance. IOSR Journal of Business and Management, 13(3), 01–05. https://doi.org/10.9790/487X-1330105
- Aishah, H., Muneer, H., Aishah, H., Muneer, H., Nahar, S., Jubb, C., & Azim, M. I. (2016). Risk governance and performance: a developing country perspective. Managerial Auditing Journa, 31(3), 250–268.http://doi.org/10.1108/MAJ-02-2015-1158
- Alahdal, W. M., Alsamhi, M. H., & Prusty, T. (2016). The role of cost accounting system in the pricing decision- making in industrial companies of Taiz city , Yemen. International Academic Journal of Accounting and Financial Management, 3(7), 70–78.
- Al-ahdal, W. M., Farhan, N. H., M. I. T., & Prusty, T. (2018). The impact of demonetization on Indian firms’ performance: does company’s age make a difference?. Investment Management and Financial Innovationas , 15 (3), 71-82. doi:10.21511/imfi.15(3).2018.06
- Al-Matari, E. M., Al-Swidi, A. K., & Bt Fadzil, F. H. (2014). The effect of board of directors characteristics, audit committee characteristics and executive committee characteristics on firm performance in Oman: An empirical study. Asian Social Science, 10(11), 149–171. https://doi.org/10.5539/ass.v10n11p149
- Al-Matari, E. M., Al-Swidi, A. K., & Fadzil, F. H. B. (2014). Audit committee characteristics and executive committee characteristics and firm performance in Oman: Empirical study. Asian Social Science, 10(12), 98–113. https://doi.org/10.5539/ass.v10n12p98
- Al-Matari, Y. A., Al-Swidi, A. K., & Bt Fadzil, F. H. (2012). Corporate governance and performance of Saudi Arabia listed companies. British Journal of Arts and Social Sciences, 9(1), 1–30.
- Al-Manaseer, M. F. A., Al-Hindawi, R. M., Al-Dahiyat, M. A., & Sartawi, I. I. (2012). The impact of corporate governance on the performance of Jordanian banks. European Journal of Scientific Research, 67(3), 349-359.
- Ararat, M., Black, B. S., & Yurtoglu, B. B. (2017). The effect of corporate governance on firm value and profitability: Time-series evidence from Turkey. Emerging Markets Review, 30(November 2014), 113–132. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ememar.2016.10.001
- Arora, A., & Sharma, C. (2016). Corporate Governance and Firm Performance in Developing Countries: Evidence from India. Corporate Governance: The International Journal of Business in Society, 16(2). https://doi.org/doi.org/10.1108/CG-01-2016-0018
- Azim, M. I. (2012). Corporate governance mechanisms and their impact on company performance: A structural equation model analysis. Australian Journal of Management, 37(3), 481–505. https://doi.org/10.1177/0312896212451032
- Bansal, N., & Sharma, A. K. (2016). Audit Committee, Corporate Governance and Firm Performance: Empirical Evidence from India. International Journal of Economics and Finance, 8(3), 103. https://doi.org/10.5539/ijef.v8n3p103
- Bhardwaj, M. N., Batani, C., & Rao, R. (2014). Corporate governance practices in india – a case study. Asia Pacific Journal of Research I Issue XIII, I(XIII), 2320–5504.
- Conheady, B., McIlkenny, P., Opong, K. K., & Pignatel, I. (2015). Board effectiveness and firm performance of Canadian listed firms. British Accounting Review, 47(3), 290–303. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bar.2014.02.002
- Coşkun, M., & Sayilir, Ö. (2012). Relationship Between Corporate Governanceand Financial Performance of Turkish Companies. International Journal of Business and Social Science, 3(14), 59–64.
- Dhaliwal, D., Naiker, V., Zealand, N., Navissi, F., East, C., & Author, C. (2007). Audit Committee Financial Expertise , Corporate Governance and Accruals Quality : An Empirical Analysis. Ssrn.
- Dhaliwal, D. S., Naiker, V., & Navissi, F. (2006). Audit Committee Financial Expertise, Corporate Governance and Accruals Quality: An Empirical Analysis. Ssrn. https://doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.906690
- Duppati, G., Sune, A., & Samanta, N. (2017). Corporate governance, research and development volatility and firm performance – Evidence from Spain and Ireland. Cogent Economics & Finance, 5(1), 1–16. https://doi.org/10.1080/23322039.2017.1317117
- Gupta, P., & Sharma, A. M. (2014). A Study of the Impact of Corporate Governance Practices on Firm Performance in Indian and South Korean Companies. Procedia – Social and Behavioral Sciences, 133, 4–11. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2014.04.163
- Hassan, A. F. S., Karbhari, Y., Isa, A. A. M., & Razak, N. H. A. (2017). Board Attributes and Performance of Government-Linked Companies (Glcs): Evidence From an Emerging Economy. Corporate Ownership and Control, 14(3). https://doi.org/10.22495/cocv14i3art8
- Hassan, Y. M., Naser, K., & Hijazi, R. H. (2016). The influence of corporate governance on corporate performance: Evidence from Palestine. Afro-Asian Journal of Finance and Accounting, 6(3), 269–287. https://doi.org/10.1504/AAJFA.2016.79296
- Kamal Hassan, M., & Saadi Halbouni, S. (2013). Corporate governance, economic turbulence and financial performance of UAE listed firms. Studies in Economics and Finance, 30(2), 118-138. https://doi.org/10.1108/10867371311325435
- Lin, C. (2011). An examination of board and firm Performance: evidence from Taiwan. The International Journal of Business and Finance Research, 5(4), 17–35.
- Mandal, P., & Al-ahdal, W. M. (2018). Impact of Corporate Governance on Financial Performance. International Journal of Research, 5(19), 56–74. https://doi.org/10.5296/ber.v6i2.9772
- Mohamed, S., Ahmad, K., & Khai, K. (2016). Corporate Governance Practices and Firm Performance : Evidence from Top 100 Public Listed Companies in Malaysia. Procedia Economics and Finance, 35, 287–296. https://doi.org/10.1016/S2212-5671(16)00036-8
- OECD. (2004). OECD principles of corporate governance, OECD Publishing. Available at: http://www.oecd.org/corporate/ca/corporategovernanceprinciples/31557724.pdf
- Rouf, A. (2012). The Financial Performance and Corporate Governance Disclosure : A Study in the Annual Reports of Listed Companies of Bangladesh. Pak. J. Commer. Soc. Sci, 6(1), 1–11.
- Tabash, M. I. (2018). An empirical investigation between liquidity and key financial ratios of Islamic banks of United Arab Emirates (UAE). Business and Economic Horizons, 14(3), 713-724
- Tabash, M. I., Yahya, A. T., & Akhtar, A. (2017). Financial Performance Comparison of Islamic and conventional banks in the United Arab Emirates (UAE). In International Conference on Advances in Business, Management and Law (ICABML), Dubai, 25-26 Nov. 2017, University of Dubai, 477-494.
- Villanueva-Villar, M., Rivo-López, E., & Lago-Peñas, S. (2016). On the relationship between corporate governance and value creation in an economic crisis: Empirical evidence for the Spanish case. BRQ Business Research Quarterly, 19(4), 233–245. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.brq.2016.06.002
- Vishwakarma, R., & Kumar, A. (2015). Does Corporate Governance Increases Firm Performance of It Industry? an Empirical analysis. Journal of Management Research, 7(2), 82–90.
- Yahya, A. T., Akhtar, A., & Tabash, M. I. (2017).The impact of political instability, macroeconomic and bank-specific factors on the profitability of Islamic banks: empirical evidence. Investment Management and Financial Innovations, 14(4), 30–39. http://doi.org/10.21511/imfi.14(4).2017.