, Lecturer in Accounting, School of Accounting, Curtin University, Mauritius
, Professor, Accounting Faculty, University of Gharyan, Gharyan- Libya, General Manager of Human Resources Development Institute, Libyan Academy, Tripoli-Libya, Libya
Preface: Integrated Reporting (IR) is a new concept which has been receiving considerable attention from the global community since the formation of the International Integrated Reporting Council (IIRC) in 2010. Mauritius is a fast-developing country where IR has gained growing traction over the last three years. It is important to understand the potential for IR in this island where sustainable development must be central to economic thinking as the island state has to preserve its resources in the long run.
Purpose: This paper aims to find out the organizational benefits and implementation challenges of preparing an Integrated Report in Mauritius.
Methodology: A survey is carried out to extract responses from report preparers and other stakeholders (investors, analyst and auditors) from a wide range of industries in Mauritius.
Findings: IR is being adopted by a majority of companies in Mauritius, although it is a relatively new concept. a majority thinks IR is improving the current corporate reporting. However, the fear of divulging market and/ or price sensitive information was the main challenge facing the practices of IR in Mauritius.
Contribution: The study explores the opinions of various stakeholders regarding IR which have not been taken in Mauritius. The findings may be useful to better understand the likely development of IR in developing markets, as most of the previous studies on IR focused on developed countries and South Africa.
Keywords: Accounting, International Integrated Reporting Council, Integrated Reporting, Technology, Mauritius.
JEL Classification: O10, M4.
Cite as: T. Bachoo, N. S. M. Ahmad. (2018). Exploring the Organizational Benefits and Implementation Challenges of Preparing an Integrated Report in Mauritius. Financial Markets, Institutions and Risks, 2(4), 101-109. DOI: http://doi.org/10.21272/fmir.2(4).101-109.2018
- Technology Initiative. (2016). Technology for Integrated Reporting: A CFO guide for driving multi capital thinking. Retrieved from: http://integratedreporting.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Technology-for-Integrated-Reporting_CFOguide.pdf
- Adhariani, D., & de Villiers, C. (2018). Integrated reporting: perspectives of corporate report preparers and other stakeholders. Sustainability Accounting, Management and Policy Journal, SAMPJ-02-2018-0043. https://doi.org/10.1108/SAMPJ-02-2018-0043
- Ahmed Haji, A., & Anifowose, M. (2016). The trend of integrated reporting practice in South Africa: Ceremonial or substantive? Sustainability Accounting, Management and Policy Journal, 7(2), 190-224. doi:http://dx.doi.org.dbgw.lis.curtin.edu.au/10.1108/SAMPJ-11-2015-0106
- Ahmed Haji, A., & Anifowose, M. (2017). Initial trends in corporate disclosures following the introduction of integrated reporting practice in south africa.Journal of Intellectual Capital, 18(2), 373-399. doi:http://dx.doi.org.dbgw.lis.curtin.edu.au/10.1108/JIC-01-2016-0020
- Ahmed Haji, A., & Hossain, D. M. (2016). Exploring the implications of integrated reporting on organisational reporting practice. Qualitative Research in Accounting and Management, 13(4), 415-444. Retrieved from https://search-proquest-com.dbgw.lis.curtin.edu.au/docview/1829435440?accountid=10382
- Atkins, J. F., Solomon, A., Norton, S., & Joseph, N. L. (2015). The emergence of integrated private reporting. Meditari Accountancy Research, 23(1), 28-61. Retrieved from https://search-proquest-com.dbgw.lis.curtin.edu.au/docview/1668188838?accountid=10382
- Atkins, J., & Maroun, W. (2015). Integrated reporting in South Africa in 2012.Meditari Accountancy Research, 23(2), 197-221. Retrieved from https://search-proquest-com.dbgw.lis.curtin.edu.au/docview/1692034938?accountid=10382
- Bhasin, D. (2017). Integrated Reporting at the Crossroads: Will it Become Trendsetter Model for the Corporate Reporting. International Journal of Management Sciences and Business Research, 6(2). Available at: http://www.ijmsbr.com/Volume%206%20Issue%202%20Paper%204.pdf
- Deegan, C., & Rankin, M. (1997). The materiality of environmental information to users of annual reports. Accounting, Auditing & Accountability Journal, 10(4), 562-583. https://doi.org/10.1108/09513579710367485.
- du Toit, E., van Zyl, R. and Schütte, G. (2017). Integrated reporting by South African companies: a case study. Meditari Accountancy Research, 25(4), 654-674. https://doi.org/10.1108/medar-03-2016-0052
- Dumay, J., Bernardi, C., Guthrie, J., & Demartini, P. (2016). Integrated reporting: A structured literature review. Accounting Forum, 40(3), 166–185. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.accfor.2016.06.001
- Eccles, R. (2010). One Report: Are You Ready? Don’t let the skeptics stop you from integrated reporting. IESE Insight, (5), 6-6. https://doi.org/10.15581/002.opi-892
- Eccles, R. and Saltzman, D. (2011). Achieving sustainability through integrated reporting. Stanford Social Innovation Review, 9(3), 56-61.
- Etikan, I. (2016). Comparison of Convenience Sampling and Purposive Sampling. American Journal of Theoretical and Applied Statistics, 5(1), 1. https://doi.org/10.11648/j.ajtas.20160501.11
- EY (2017). Why Richard Howitt is on a mission to improve corporate reporting. Retrieved from https://www.ey.com/en_gl/assurance/why-richard-howitt-is-on-a-mission-to-improve-corporate-reporting
- García-Sánchez, I., Rodríguez-Ariza, L. and Frías-Aceituno, J. (2013). The cultural system and integrated reporting. International Business Review, 22(5), 828-838. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ibusrev.2013.01.007
- GRI. (2018). Integrated Reporting. Retrieved from https://www.globalreporting.org/information/current-priorities/integrated-reporting/Pages/default.aspx
- Haller, A., & Chris, v. S. (2014). The value added statement – an appropriate instrument for integrated reporting. Accounting, Auditing & Accountability Journal, 27(7), 1190-1216. doi:http://dx.doi.org.dbgw.lis.curtin.edu.au/10.1108/AAAJ-04-2013-1307
- Hopwood, A., Unerman, J., & Fries, J. (Eds.). (2010). Accounting for sustainability: practical insights. Retrieved from https://ebookcentral.proquest.com
- Hsiao, P. and Kelly, M. (2018). Investment considerations and impressions of integrated reporting. Sustainability Accounting, Management and Policy Journal, 9(1), 2-28. https://doi.org/10.1108/sampj-10-2016-0072
- IIRC (2013). The international Integrated Reporting framework | Integrated Reporting. Retrieved from http://integratedreporting.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/13-12-08-THE-INTERNATIONAL-IR-FRAMEWORK-2-1.pdf
- IIRC. (2015). IIRC Integrated Report 2015 | Integrated Reporting. Retrieved from http://integratedreporting.org/news/iirc-integrated-report-2015/
- ISCA-NUS. (2014). Integrated reporting survey 2014 [EBook]. Institute of Singapore Chartered Accountants (ISCA). Retrieved from https://isca.org.sg/media/775709/isca-nus-integrated-reporting-survey-2014.pdf
- Islam, R. and Islam, M.R. (2018). Insights the Practice of Integrated Reporting: A Study on MNCs in Bangladesh on the Degree of Adherence to the Reporting Framework. Open Journal of Business and Management, 6, 733-748. https://doi.org/10.4236/ojbm.2018.63056
- Lehmann, D. (1975). Validity and Goodness of Fit in Data Analysis. Retrieved from http://acrwebsite.org/volumes/5796/volumes/v02/NA-02
- Lipunga, A. (2015). Corporate Social Responsibility Reporting through the Lens of ISO 26000: A Case of Malawian Quoted Companies. International Business Research, 8(2). http://dx.doi.org/10.5539/ibr.v8n2p28
- Lodhia, S. (2015). Exploring the transition to integrated reporting through a practice lens: An australian customer owned bank perspective. Journal of Business Ethics, 129(3), 585-598. doi:http://dx.doi.org.dbgw.lis.curtin.edu.au/10.1007/s10551-014-2194-8
- McNally, M., Cerbone, D., & Maroun, W. (2017). Exploring the challenges of preparing an integrated report. Meditari Accountancy Research, 25(4), 481-504. Retrieved from https://search-proquest-com.dbgw.lis.curtin.edu.au/docview/1948367329?accountid=10382
- MIA-ACCA. (2016). Integrated Reporting Survey [EBook]. Malaysian Institute of Accountants (MIA). Retrieved from http://integratedreporting.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/MIA-ACCA-IR-survey-report_2016.pdf.pdf
- Nylander, J. (2015). Why ‘Integrated Reporting’ Attracts Investors [Blog]. Retrieved from https://www.forbes.com/sites/jnylander/2015/11/11/why-integrated-reporting-attracts-investors/#26ca523c57e7
- Owen, G. (2013). Integrated Reporting: A Review of Developments and their Implications for the Accounting Curriculum. Accounting Education, 22(4), 340–356. https://doi.org/10.1080/09639284.2013.817798
- Perego, P., Kennedy, S., & Whiteman, G. (2016). A Lot of Icing but Little Cake? Taking Integrated Reporting Forward. SSRN Electronic Journal. https://doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.2744822
- Petrova, M. (2015). The Art of Business Strategy. Is Integrated Reporting a continuation of strategy by other means? [Blog]. Retrieved from http://www.kksadvisors.com/blog/2016/9/12/the-art-of-business-strategy-is-integrated-reportinga-continuation-of-strategy-by-other-means
- Reimsbach, D., Hahn, R., & Gürtürk, A. (2017). Integrated Reporting and Assurance of Sustainability Information: An Experimental Study on Professional Investors’ Information Processing. European Accounting Review, 27(3), 559-581. https://doi.org/10.1080/09638180.2016.1273787
- Rensburg, R., & Botha, E. (2014). Is Integrated Reporting the silver bullet of financial communication? A stakeholder perspective from South Africa. Public Relations Review, 40(2), 144-152. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pubrev.2013.11.016
- Robertson, F. A., & Samy, M. (2015). Factors affecting the diffusion of integrated reporting – a UK FTSE 100 perspective. Sustainability Accounting, Management and Policy Journal, 6(2), 190-223. doi:http://dx.doi.org.dbgw.lis.curtin.edu.au/10.1108/SAMPJ-07-2014-0044
- Roman, A. (2017). King III Report: How South Africa Revolutionised Corporate Governance. Azeus Convene. Available at: https://www.azeusconvene.com/south-africa-revolutionize-corporate-governance
- SEM. (2018). Stock Exchange of Mauritius (SEM) – Listed Companies | AFRICAN MARKETS. Retrieved from https://www.african-markets.com/en/stock-markets/sem/listed-companies
- Setia, N., Abhayawansa, S., Joshi, M., & Huynh, A. V. (2015). Integrated reporting in South Africa: Some initial evidence. Sustainability Accounting, Management and Policy Journal, 6(3), 397-424. doi:http://dx.doi.org.dbgw.lis.curtin.edu.au/10.1108/SAMPJ-03-2014-0018
- Steyn, M. (2014). Organisational benefits and implementation challenges of mandatory integrated reporting. Sustainability Accounting, Management and Policy Journal, 5(4), 476-503. Retrieved from https://search-proquest-com.dbgw.lis.curtin.edu.au/docview/1633971308?accountid=10382