, Associate Professor, Amity University, Dubai
Since decades, several theories have evolved on dividend decisions and their potential impact of firms overall wealth and performance that led to diverse results. These researches led to formulation of various financial theories and models that became applicable to the corporate world. Despite several research, the impact of dividend decisions on firm’s share price and overall shareholders’ wealth remains inconclusive. This paper aims towards establishing a relationship between of the impact of dividend policy decisions on firm’s value taking a sample of 30 companies listed on the Qatar stock exchange (QE) which have been paying dividends for at least for five consecutive years. This study covered the time period from 2013-2017. Data have been taken on annual basis. Total number of observations in this study were 180. Data have been taken on annual basis. This study applied multiple regressions using E-Views or Minitab for the year 2017. Regression models have been developed to find the association between dividend policy and earnings per share (EPS), return on equity (ROE), and share price (SP).
Subjects: Corporate Finance, Financial Markets, Dividend Policy, Shareholder Wealth.
Keywords: dividend policy; shareholders wealth; firm performance; returns on equity; share price earning per share.
JEL Classification: G3, G32, G35, F65, D53.
Cite as: Ar. Banerjee. (2018). Dividend Policy as a Corporate Communication and its Impact on Firm Value Evidences from listed companies in Qatar Stock Exchange. Financial Markets, Institutions and Risks, 2(4), 29-38. DOI: http://doi.org/10.21272/fmir.2(4).29-38.2018
- Abeyratna Gunasekarage, David M. Power. (2006). Anomalous evidence in dividend announcement effect”, Managerial Finance, 32(3), pp.209-226, https://doi.org/10.1108/03074350610646726
- Ajayi M, Seyingbo O. Dividend Policy and Share Price Volatility in Nigerian Banking Industry. Fountain Journal of Management & Social Sciences (FUJMAS) [serial online]. January 2015; 4(1):1-10. Available from: Business Source Complete, Ipswich, MA. Accessed May 13, 2018.
- Akhigbe, A., & Madura, J. (1996). Dividend policy and corporate performance. Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, 23(9/10), 1267-1287.
- Al Abbadi, A. A., Al-Amarneh, A., & Abuorabi, M. M. (2016). The Impact of the Dividend Policies on the Value of the Stock of Public Shareholding Companies in the Jordanian Industrial Sector. International Management Review, 12(2), 29-36.
- Apostolos Dasilas, Katerina Lyroudi, Demetrios Ginoglou, (2009). The impact of dividend initiations on Greek listed firms’ wealth and volatility across information environments, Managerial Finance, 35(6).
- Areri, B. J., & Nyang’. Au, V. N. (2018). An Evaluation of Determinants of Dividend Policy A Study of The Banking Sector in Kenya. Clear International Journal of Research in Commerce & Management, 9(3), 19-22.
- Booth, L., & Zhou, J. (2017). Dividend policy: A selective review of results from around the world. Global Finance Journal, 341-15. doi:10.1016/j.gfj.2017.07.002
- Christopher Pass, Richard Dobbins, (1978). Financial Objectives: The Traditional Approach, Managerial Finance, 4(1), pp.2-9, https://doi.org/10.1108/eb013409
- Emeni, F. K. (2017). The Effect of Dividend Policy on Market Value of Firms: Evidence from Nigeria. Finance India, 31(1), 175-208.
- Farhat. (2015). Relationship Between Dividend Policy and Share Price. Clear International Journal of Research in Commerce & Management, 6(8), 35-40.
- Farrukh, K., Irshad, S., Shams Khakwani, M., Ishaque, S., & Ansari, N. (2017). Impact of dividend policy on shareholders wealth and firm performance in Pakistan. Cogent Business & Management, 4(1), 1-11. https://doi.10.1080/23311975.2017.1408208
- Frost, P. A. (1978). Dividend Policy and Capital Market Theory: A Comment. Review of Economics & Statistics, 60(3), 475.
- Gejalakshmi, S., & Azhagaiah, R. (2017). Impact of Dividend Policy on Shareholders’ Wealth: Indian Scene. SCMS Journal of Indian Management, 14(2), 28-45.
- Goel, S. (2015). Dividend Policy and Market Price Behaviour in Indian Companies. Skyline Business Journal, 11(1), 46-52.
- Hussainey, K., Mgbame, C. O., & Chijoke-Mgbame, A. M. (2011). Dividend policy and share price volatility: UK evidence. Journal of Risk Finance (Emerald Group Publishing Limited), 12(1), 57-68. doi: 10.1108/15265941111100076
- John C. Groth, (1988). Corporate Communications and firm Value”, Managerial Finance, 14(1), pp.1-5, https://doi.org/10.1108/eb013590
- Kevin Campbell, Chijioke Ohuocha, (2011). The stock market reaction to stock dividends in Nigeria and their information content, Managerial Finance, 37(3), pp.295-311, https://doi.org/10.1108/ 03074351111113333
- Khanum, A. (2013). A Note on the Information Content of Corporate Dividend Policy. Lahore Journal of Business, 2(1), 133-146.
- Magni, C. A. (2010). Relevance or Irrelevance of Retention for Dividend Policy Irrelevance. International Review of Applied Financial Issues & Economics, 2(2), 232-247.
- McGowan Jr., C. B. (2005). A simplified approach to demonstrating the irrelevance of dividend policy to the value of the firm. Applied Financial Economics Letters, 1(2), 121-124. doi:10.1080/17446540500080032
- M. C., M., & Varghese, D. (2017). Effect of Dividend Policy on Share Holder’s Wealth: A Study of IT and Banking Industry in India. Finance India, 31(2), 535-544.
- N. Bhattacharyya, (2007) “Dividend policy: a review”, Managerial Finance, 33(1), pp.4-13, https://doi.org/10.1108/03074350710715773
- Ofori-Sasu, D., Abor, J. Y., & Osei, A. K. (2017). Dividend Policy and Shareholders’ Value: Evidence from Listed Companies in Ghana. African Development Review, 29(2), 293-304. doi:10.1111/1467-8268.12257
- Ozuomba, C., Anichebe, A., & Okoye, P. (2016). The effect of dividend policies on wealth maximization – a study of some selected plcs. Cogent Business & Management, 3(1), 1-15. doi:10.1080/ 23311975.2016.1226457
- Richard Fairchild, (2010). Dividend policy, signalling and free cash flow: an integrated approach”, Managerial Finance, 36(5), pp.394-413, https://doi.org/10.1108/03074351011039427
- Travios, N., Trigeorgis, L., & Vafeas, N. (2001). Shareholder Wealth Effects of Dividend Policy Changes in an Emerging Stock Market: The Case of Cyprus. Multinational Finance Journal, 5(2), 87.
- Uwuigbe, U., Jafaru, J., & Ajayi, A. (2012). Dividend Policy and Firm Performance: A Study of Listed Firms in Nigeria. Accounting & Management Information Systems / Contabilitate Si Informatica De Gestiune, 11(3), 442-454.
- WALTER, J. E. (1956). Dividend Policies and Common Stock Prices. Journal of Finance, 11(1), 29-41.
- Walter, J. E. (1963). Dividend Policy: It’s Influence on The Value of The Enterprise. Journal of Finance, 18(2), 280-291.
- Yi, Y., Ke, D., & Zhang, X. (2007). Shareholder wealth effect of dividend policy: Empirical evidence from the Chinese securities market. Frontiers of Business Research in China (Springer Science & Business Media B.V.), 1(3), 437-455. doi:10.1007/s11782-007-0026-8