, Department of Business Administration, Kwara State University, Malete Nigeria
, Department of Business Administration, University of Ilorin Nigeria
, PhD, Department of Business and Entrepreneurship, Kwara State University, Malete Nigeria
This paper examines the impact of Cashless Policy on the Performance of Commercial Banks in Nigeria. Structured questionnaire was used to source the primary data. The population of the study was made up of the commercial banks in operation in Nigeria. The population was the 210 management staffs of the eight (8) commercial banks in operation in Lagos Metropolis, Lagos. The study adopted a survey method. The entire population of Questionnaire was administered to the population of the study but 184 questionnaires were dully returned. Data was analyzed using interferential and descriptive statistics. The inferential statistics involve regression, Analysis of Variance (ANOVA) and multiple regression analysis. A pilot study was also used to test the quality, clarity, time scale and bias of the questionnaire. The paper concluded that cash-less policy will impact positively on the fortunes of banks even though some of the charges are not wholly their revenue. It was also discovered that some charges like COT, over-the- counter charges etc. which are associated with a cash-based economy will be a thing of the past. The study recommend that power and electricity infrastructures should be put in place to provide support for electronic banking equipment and care must be taken to ensure that e-money does not compete with demand deposit.
Keywords: Cashless Policy, Cash based economy, Commercial Banks, Point of Sales (POS) card acceptance services, Cash-less economy.
JEL Classification: G21.
Cite as: Zekeri Abu, Kadiri Ismaila Bolarinwa. (2018). Evaluation of Prospect and Challenges of Cashless Policy. The Case of Commercial Banks in Nigeria. Financial Markets, Institutions and Risks, 2(4), 92-100. DOI: http://doi.org/10.21272/fmir.2(4).92-100.2018
- Acha, I. A., Ikoh, I. and Nsien, C. (2016). The efficacy of Nigeria monetary policy: A comparative analysis. Scholedge International Journal of Business Policy and Governance, 3(4): 51-62.
- Akhalumeh, P.B & Ohiokha, F. (2015). Nigeria’s Cashless Economy: the Imperatives. International Journal of Management and Business Studies, 2 (2), 31-36.
- Ajayi, S. I. and O. O. Ojo (2016), Money and Banking: Analysis and Policy in the Nigerian Context, Second Edition, University of Ibadan, Daily Graphics Nigeria Ltd.
- Babalola, R. (2016). E-payment: Towards a cashless economy”, a keynote address of the finance minister of state at card expo Africa conference. http://www.nigeriavillagesquare.com Central Bank of Nigeria Cash-less Nigeria.
- Banker’s Committees Resolution on the use of ATM and others. Central Bank of Nigeria (2012). Towards a cashless Nigeria: Tools and Strategies. NSC 24th National Conference, July, pp.1-30
- Carow, K. A. and M. E. Staten (2000, ―Plastic Choices: Consumer Usage of BankCards Vs Proprietary Credit Cards‖, Working Study, April
- Central Bank of Nigeria (2011), Money Market Indicators & Money and Credit Statistics, CBN Statistical Bulletin,
- CBN Publications Central Bank of Nigeria Website (2011), ―New Cash Policy, Presentation for the Interactive Engagement Session with Stakeholders on Cash-Less Lagos, Stakeholder Session – Supermarket Operators
- Central Bank of Nigeria (2011). Towards a cashless Nigeria: Tools & strategies. Nigerian Journal of Economy, 3(2): 344–50.
- Central Bank of Nigeria, (2012). Toward a cashless Nigeria: Tool and strategies‖, retrieved from
- Central Bank of Nigeria, (2011). Guidelines on Point of Sales (POS) Card Acceptance Services‖, retrieved from www.cenbank.org
- Central Bank of Nigeria, (2011). New cash policy‖, retrieved from www.cenbank.org
- Cobb, A. (2015). http://www.ameinfo.com/50050.html Echekoba, Daasi, G.L.K. (2016). Traditional financial institutions and rural enterprises in Ogoni land of Rivers state. Unpublished seminar paper, Department of Economics, University of Uyo, Uyo – Nigeria.
- Ebipanipre, G. M. & Uyouyo, K.O. (2017). An empirical analysis of the benefits of cashless economy on Nigeria’s economic development, Research journal of finance and accounting, 4(17), 11-16.
- James, A. O. (2017). The Acceptance of e-banking by customers in Nigeria: World Review of Business Research, 2(2), 6-8
- Morufu, O. and Taibat, A. (2015). Bankers perceptions of electronic banking in Nigeria: A review of post consolidation experience. Research Journal of Finance and Accounting, 3(2): 5-6.
- Muyiwa, O., Tunmibi, S., & John-Dewole, A.T. (2017). The Impact of Cashless Economy in Nigeria. Greener Journal of Internet, Information & Communication Systems, 1(2), 40-43.
- Ndifon, E. and Okpa, I. (2014). Challenges and benefits of the cash-less policy implementation in the Nigerian economy. European Journal of Business and Management, 6(26): 24-32.
- Newstead, S. (2015). Cashless Payment Underpins Economic Growth. Retrieved Odumeru, J. A (2015), “Going Cashless: Adoption of Mobile Banking in Nigeria”. Arabian Journal of Business and Management Review (Nigerian Chapter) Vol. 1, No. 2, 9-17. NG_VOL_1_2/2.pdf. on 13th June 2014
- Okoye, P.V.C and Ezejiofor, R. (2017), “An Appraisal of Cashless Economy Policy in Development of Nigerian Economy”. Research Journal of Finance and Accounting, Vol.4, No.7, pp237-252
- Onoh, J. K. (2017). Dimensions of Nigeria’s monetary and fiscal policies: Domestic and external.: Astral Meridian Publishers: Aba.
- Osazevbaru, H. O. and Yomere, G. O. (2015). Benefits and challenges of Nigeria’s cashless policy. Kuwait Chapter of Arabian Journal of Business and Management Review, 4(9): 1-10.
- Oyewole et al. (2015). Electronic Payment Systems and Economic Growth: A Review of Transaction to Cashless Economy in Nigeria. International Journal of Scientific Engineering and Technology, 2(9), 913-919.
- Oyewole, O. S., Gambo, E. J., Abba, M. and Onuh, M. E. (2015). Electronic payment system and economic growth: A review of transition to cashless economy in Nigeria. International Journal of Scientific Engineering and Technology, 2(9): 913–18.
- Oyewole OS, El-Maude JG, Abba M, Onuh ME. (2015). Electronic payment system and economic growth: a review of transition to cashless economy in Nigeria. Int J Sci Eng Technol 2:913–918.