, PhD candidate in School of Economics in Southwestern University of Finance and Economics, China
Financial development is part of the private sector development strategy to stimulate economic growth and reduce poverty. So, the paper attempts to find out the determinant of economy growth and the explanatory variables, such as, the foreign direct investment, government expenditure, consumer price index and trade openness in Benin. Using time series as the econometric model and the data during 1970 and 2017 for the study. In addition, the technique that implemented to estimate the model was Ordinary Least Square. The result showed that the foreign direct investment and consumer index price have significantly and positively impact the Benin’s economy growth but the trade openness and the government expenditure have significantly and negatively impacted the Benin’s economy growth. I suggest that the government must invest more in infrastructure to attract more foreign direct investment. In term of trade Benin’s policymaker should promote the local products and export to the world to adjust the balance between the import and export.
Keywords: Economy growth, Cointegration, Causality, Investment.
JEL Classification: G15, O1, O10.
Cite as: Marcel, D. T. Am. (2019). The Determinant of Economic Growth Evidence from Benin: Time Series Analysis from 1970 to 2017. Financial Markets, Institutions and Risks, 3(1), 63-74. http://doi.org/10.21272/fmir.3(1).63-74.2019.
- Aghion, P. H. P. (1998). Endogenous Growth. MIT Press.
- Anwar, S. N. L. (2010). Foreign direct investment and economic growth in Vietnam.,. s.l.: Asia Pac. Bus. Rev. 16 183–202.
- Barro, R. (2001). Human capital and growth. s. l. Amer. Econ. Rev91 (2), 12–17.
- Chen, B. & Feng, Y. (2000). Determinants of Economic Grwoth in china: Private enterprise, education and s.l.: China Economic Review 11, 1-15.
- Daniel H., V.-J. & Coro, C. (2015). Long-Run Determinants of Economicgrowth In South America. s.l. Journal of Applied Economics, 19(1), 169-192.
- Danladi, J. D., K. J. Akomolafe, O. S. Olarinde & N. L. Anyadiegwu, (2015). Government Expenditure and Its Implication for Economic Growth: Evidence from Nigeria. s.l. Journal of Economics and Sustainable Development.
- De MELLO, L. (1999). Foreign Direct I nv e st me nt -Led Growth: Evidence from T i m e. s.l. Oxford Economic Papers, 51, 133-151.
- Dumor Koffi, Zonon Ifred Baba Tounde Paterne & Gbongli komlan, (2016). Impact of the Foreign Direct Investment on Economic Growth in Benin: A Cointegration Analysis. s.l. Journal of Economics and Sustainable Development.
- E., B., J., D. G. & J-W. L. (1997). How does foreign direct investment affect economic growth? s.l. Journal of International Economics 45 (1998) 115–135.
- Galaye, N. & Helian, X., (2016). Impact of Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) on Economic Growth inWAEMU from 1990 to 2012. International Journal of Financial Research, 33- 43.
- Gnansounou, S. U., (2014). the determinant of private investment in benin: A panel Data Analysis. African Economic Research Consortium, Nairobi, 1-40.
- GuechHeang, L. &. M. P., (2013). The Case of Cambodia.The Relationship between Gross Domestic Product and Foreign Direct Investment: s.l.: KASBIT Journal ofManagement & Social Science, 6, 87-99.
- Gujarati, D.N. & Porter, D.C, n.d. Basic Econometrics. Boston, MA: (2009). (5th ed.).
- H., A., SA, D. & Y., A., (2012). The determinants of long-term economic growth in Ghana from 1960- 2007. Journal of Research in Economics and International Finance (JREIF). 1(5), 141-149, November 2012.
- Hasanov, F., (2011). Relationship between inflation and economic growth in Azerbaijani economy: is there any threshold effect? Munich Personal RePEc Archive.
- Hasnul, A. G. (2015). The effects of government expenditure on economic growth: the case of Malaysia. s.l.: Munich Personal RePEc Archive.
- Hlalefang Khobai & Clement Moyo. (2017). The relationship between trade openness and economic growth: The case of Ghana and Nigeria. s.l.: Munich Personal RePEc Archive.
- Hu, T. S. Y. a. A. Y. (2003). Domestic Firms Benefit from Foreign Direct Investment? Initial Evidence from Chinese Manufacturing. Do Domestic Firms Benefit from Foreign: s.n.
- Iqbal, N, Ahmad, N, Haider, Z & Anwar, S. (2014). Impact of foreign direct. s.l.: International Letters.
- KHALID, M. A. (2016). The Impact of Trade Openness on Economic Growth in the Case of Turkey. s.l.: Research Journal of Finance and Accounting ISSN 2222-1697 (Paper) ISSN 2222-2847 (Online).
- Levich, R. M & Rizzo, R. C, (1998). Alternative Tests for Time Series Dependence Based on Autocorrelation Coefficients. s.l.: Working Paper Series-New York University Salomon Center S.
- Lucas, R. (1988). The mechanics of economic development. J. Monetary Econ. s.l.: 22, 3–42.
- Mahmoud, L. O. M. (2015). Consumer Price Index and Economic Growth: a Case Study of Mauritania 1990 – 2013. s.l.: Asian Economic and Social Society.
- Marilyne Huchet-Bourdon, Chantal L. M. & Mariana, V., n.d. The relationship between trade openness and economic growth: Some new insights on the openness measurement issue. s.l.s.n.
- Nikolaos, D. Erotokritos, V. & Antonios, A., n.d. The Main Determinants of Economic Growth: an Empirical Investigation With Granger Causality. s.l.s.n.
- Pigato, M. A. (2014). Benin Economics Update Fall 2014, 3.
- Rafael, A. María, I. b. & Pablo P. (2017). Foreign direct investment and economic growth in Latin America. s.l.: Economic Analysis and Policy.
- Rana, R. H. (2014). Government Expenditure and Economic Growth in Bangladesh: an Empirical Study. s.l.: The International Journal of Business & Management.
- Raziiakhan, A., Damira, B. & Junus, G., (2007). Relationship between Government Expenditure and Economic Growth in Transition Countries: Case of Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan. s.l: s.n.
- Sandalcilar, A. R. &. A. A. (2012). Foreign Direct Investment and Gross Domestic Product: an Application on ECO Region (1995–2011). Special issue, International Journal of Business and Social Science, 3(22), E189- 98.
- Tan, B. T. C. (2016). Examining the causal linkages among domestic investment, FDI, trade, interest rate and economic growth in ASEAN-5 countries. J. Econ. Financ. Issues 6, 214–220.
- Temple, J. (1999). The new growth evidences. s.l.: Journal of Economic.
- Tounde Paterne, D. K. Z. I. B. & Gbongl, I. K. (2016). Impact of the Foreign Direct Investment on Economic Growth in Benin: a Cointegration Analysis. School of Management & Economics, University of Electronic Science & Technology of China (UESTC).
- United Nations, A., November 27. (1987). The United Nations International Conference of promotion for code of conduct for technology transfer.
- Wajahat Ali & Azrai Abdullah. (2015). The Impact of Trade Openness on the Economic Growth of Pakistan: 1980-2010. Global Business and Management Research: an International Journal 7(2), (2015.
- Zhao, H. (1995). Technology Imports and Their Impacts on the Enhancement of China’s. The journal of Development Studies, 31, 585-602.