Lecturer, College of Business Administration, IUBAT- International University of Business Agriculture and Technology, Dhaka, Bangladesh
Ph.D. Researcher in Tourism, University of Algarve, Faro, Portugal, Assistant Professor, College of Tourism and Hospitality Management, IUBAT ‒ International University of Business Agriculture and Technology Dhaka, Bangladesh
Banking regulation plays an important role in the process of ensuring financial stability, the national economy, equitable distribution of wealth and the most efficient use of financial resources. As a key regulatory tool, Banking Regulation monitors and monitors financial transactions to improve their profitability and efficiency. The author points out that the main areas of banking regulation and supervision are to control the processes of formation, operation and liquidation of commercial banks. The article focuses on the fact that the 2008 financial crisis has become a motivating driver for reforms in the banking system of Europe and America. The main purpose of the article is to assess the impact of changes in the European Banking System, in particular in the context of the study of the features of the Financial Markets Directive, on the functioning of the global economy. This paper provides a critical review of the literature from the point of view of analyzing the specificity of MiFID II in the context of its impact on the economic aspects of the country’s development. The implementation of the Directive requires significant financial investment, but these costs will pay off given the fact that MiFID II is well-designed and aimed at providing more secure protection and greater customer base stability. However, the author points out the underdevelopment and inconsistency of the regulatory framework, which is of greater concern than the cost of implementing MiFID II. Thus, the idea of the likelihood of financial and economic problems in the process of influence of banking regulation on the development of the global economy is substantiated. Notwithstanding these shortcomings, the regulatory framework for the formulation and implementation of the Directive is a significant contribution to the regulation of the financial sector. The results of the study represent scientific and practical value for academics, politicians, banking financial management of economic entities, stakeholders to better prepare and evaluate future changes as a result of reforming banking regulation.
Keywords: Directives, Economic growth, Financial crisis, MiFID, Regulation.
JEL Classification: E58, G21, P33.
Cite as: Islam, S.T., Khan, M.Y.H. (2019). Evaluating the changes in the European Banking Regulation – MiFID and its possible effects on the Global Economy: A Theoretical Study. Financial Markets, Institutions and Risks, 3(4), 24-31. http://doi.org/10.21272/fmir.3(4).24-31.2019.
- Adair, A., Berry, j., McGreal, S., Deddis, B. &Hirst, S. (1999). Evaluation of Investor Behaviour in Urban Regeneration, Urban Studies, 36(12), 2031- 2045.
- Alderman, L., Kanter, J., Yardley, J and et al. (2017). Greece Debt Crisis Explained. Available from: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/business/international/greece-debt-crisis-euro. html?_r=0 Revised: 20th August 2015.
- Balfe, L., et al (2017). The Post Crisis EU Financial Regulatory Framework: Do the pieces fit in? Available from: http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/ld201415/ldselect/ldeucom/103/103.pdf. Chapter 1. 5th Report, London.
- Bayley, N. et al.(2017) Minutes of the meeting of the MIFID II Implementation Round Table.\\Sd1filepw21\users\shanks\Roundtable minutes.docx3.Round Table Minutes, London. [Accessed 27th August].
- Bank of England. (2014) Capital Requirement directive IV. [Online] Available from: http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/pra/Pages/crdiv/default.aspx [Accessed 5th August]..
- BBC News. (2011) Lisbon Treaty. [Online] Available from: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6901353.stm [Accessed 15th July].
- Beddington, S.J. (2012) Economic Assessment on MiFID II policy measures related to Computer trading in Financial Markets. (Working Paper) Government office for Science.Crown Copyright (2012), 1 Victoria Street, London.
- Bryman, A. & Bell, E. (2003) Business research methods. Oxford University Press: Oxford.
- Central Banks Guide (2019) Central Banks. [Online] Avalable from: http://www.centralbanksguide.com/banking+industry+regulation/
- Collis, J. & Hussey, R. (2003) Business research: a practical guide for the undergraduate and postgraduate students.2nd Edition. Palgrave Macmillan, Basingstoke.
- Creswell, J. W. (2003) Research design, qualitative, quantitative, and mixed approaches.2nd Edition. Sage Publication, London.
- Easley et al. (2012) Insights to the High-Frequency Paradigm.Journal of Portfolio Management, 39(1).
- EBA Europa. (2014) European Banking Authority. [Online] Available from: http://www.eba.europa.eu/about-us [Accessed 5th August].
- Ernst Young. (2013) The world of Financial Investment Just got more complex. Capital Markets Reform: MiFID II, Global Regulatory Reform, Ernst & Young.
- Europa.(2014) E-Commerce Directive. [Online] Available from: http://ec.europa.eu/internal_market/e-commerce/directive/index_en.htm [Accessed 7th August].
- Europa.(2017). Progress of Financial Reforms. [Online] Available from: http://ec.europa.eu/finance/general-policy/policy/map_reform_en.htm#row5Last update: 20.04.2015 [Accessed 25th July].
- FCA Organisation. (2017) MiFID Review. [Online] Available from: https://www.fca.org.uk/firms/markets/international-markets/mifid-ii/mifid-review [Accessed 29th June].
FCA Organisation.(2017) MiFID. [Online] Available from: http://www.fca.org.uk/firms/being-regulated/ meeting-your-obligations/firm-guides/guide-financial-advisers/mifid [Accessed 29th June].
- Fisher, C., Buglear, J., Lowry, D. &Mutch, A. Tansley, C. (2010) Researching and Writing a Dissertation: An essential guide for business students. 3rd Edition. Prentice Hall: London
- Gill, J. & Johnson, P. (1997) Research methods for managers.4th Edition. Paul Chapman Publishing, London.
- Government UK. (2017) Extract from the Chancellor Speech on Europe. [Online] Available from: https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/extracts-from-the-chancellors-speech-on-europe [Accessed 25th July].
- Haran, M.E. (2008) The contribution of property Investment vehicles in financing urban registration in the UK.
- Investopedia (2017) MiFID. [Online] Available from: https://www.investopedia.com/ terms/m/mifid.asp [Accessed 5th August].
- Remenyi, D., Williams, B., Money, A. & Swartz, E. (1998) Doing research in business and management: An introduction to process and method. Sage Publications, London.
- Oriol, N., Rufini, A. & Torre, D. (2015 Heterogenous investors and Trading Platforms Competition.[Online] Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/JRF-11-2014-0169. The Journal ofRisk Finance, 16(3), 303- 320. [Accessed 19th August].
- Out Law. (2017) FCA Loses fight on MiFID II. [Online] Available from: http://www.out-law.com/en/articles/2015/july/fca-loses-fight-on-mifid-ii-call-recording/[Accessed 29th June].
- Petitjean, M. (2013) Bank Failures and Regulation: A Critical Review. [Online] Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/13581981311297803Journal of Financial Regulation and Compliance. 21(1), 16- 38. [Accessed 19th August].
- Putnis, J., Kingsley, B., and Sholem, M. (2014). Introduction to the legislative processes for European Union Directives and regulations on financial services matters. Slaughter & May. London.
- Saunders, M., Lewis, P &Thornhill, A. (2003). Research Methods for business students.3rd Edition. Prentice Hall: New York.
- Stichele, M.V. (2008). Financial Regulation in the European Union. [Online] Available from: http://www.eurodad.org/uploadedfiles/whats_new/reports/eumapping_financial_regulation_final.pdf. Chapter 1 and Conclusion. Ford Foundation.For more information- http://www.eurodad.org/ debt/?id=2190.[Accessed 7th August].
- Stones, R. (2006) MiFID for Dummies.Internation Financial Law Review, 25(8), 22-23. London
- UK Practical Law. (2017) Deposit Guarantee Scheme Directive.[Online]. Available from: http://uk.practicallaw.com/2-521-2166 [Accessed 7th August].
- Vives, X. (2001). Restructuring the Financial Regulation in the European Monetary Union. Journal of Financial Services Research, 19(1), 57-82, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Netherlands.