PhD in Economics and Finance, University of Rome La Sapienza, Rome, Italy
Studio Asse, Iel Ets Legal and Economic Association, Rome, Italy
This article includes exploring arguments and counterarguments in the context of conducting a scientific discussion on the impact of corporate governance on a company’s financial and economic performance. The main purpose of this paper is to determine the nature of the impact of corporate governance policy on the activities of economic entities. The systematization of literary sources and approaches to problem solving has shown that there are two opposing points of view: firm value, efficiency), on the other hand, a number of scientists are convinced that there is a positive influence of the functioning of the corporate governance system on the valuation of listed companies. The work emphasizes the decisive role of the board of directors of the company in the development and adoption of the strategic direction of development of the organization. The author points out in the study the need for coordinated interaction of the board of directors with the financial management of the company and the business owners in order to increase the efficiency and profitability of the business entity. It is stated that the key economic tools for achieving and implementing the strategic plans of the company can be the key performance indicators and accordingly developed measures to achieve such success. As a result, it is justified that corporate governance should not be a set of rules and mechanisms aimed at managing and controlling companies, but rather as a process by which companies become sensitive to stakeholder rights. The spread of corporate culture, according to the author of a work aimed at protecting the common interest, is facilitated by the existence of good rules and effective authorities that control their observance.
Keywords: corporate governance, financial and economic activity, board of directors, key performance indicators.
JEL Classification: G18, G0.
Cite as: Tommaso, F. D., Gulinelli, A. (2019). Corporate Governance and Economic Performance: The Limit of Short Termism. Financial Markets, Institutions and Risks, 3(4), 49-61. http://doi.org/10.21272/fmir.3(4).49-61.2019.
- Special report: corporate governance, investors fight back’. (2004, May17) Business Week. https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1018724/000119312516530747/d78603ddef14a.htm.
- IPSOA, Amministrazione e Finanza (2019). 10, 5(4), 29-32. https://doi.org/10.22495/jgr_v5_i4_p4
- Republica Italiana, D. (2019, August 9). Legislative Decree of 10 May 2019 n.49.
- Cadbury Committee (1992). Report of the Committee on the Financial Aspects of Corporate Governance. Retrived from: http://www.ecgi.org/
- Collins, J., & Porras, J. (1994). Built to last. New York: Harper Business.
Retrived from: https://www.amazon.com/Built-Last-Successful-Visionary-
- Conference Board (2003). Commission on public trust and private enterprise:
Findings and recommendations. Retrived from: https://www.conference- board.org/pdf_free/SR-03-04-ES.pdf
Doyle, J. L., Colley, J., Stettinius, W., & Logan, G. (2005). What Is Corporate Governance? New York: McGraw-Hill
- El Nashar, T. (2016). The probable effect of integrated reporting on audit quality. Journal of Governance and Regulation, 5(2), 50-58. http://doi.org/ 10.22495/jgr_v5_i2_p6
- Eun, C. S., Resnick, B. G., & Sabherwal, S. (2004). International Finance. Wall Street Journal. April 9, 1996. https://link.springer.com/content/pdf/bbm%3A978-3-030-02792-6%2F1.pdf.
- Ferri Di Fabrizio, L. (2017). The pattern of fraudulent accounting: Ethics, external auditing and internal whistle-blowing process. Journal of Governance and Regulation, 6(1), 12-25. http://doi.org/10.22495/jgr_v6_i1_p2
- Feten, A., & Salma, D.-A. (2015). The use of international standards in ethics education in the Tunisian audit context. Journal of Governance and Regulation, 4(4-4), 499-506. http://doi.org/10.22495/jgr_v4_i4_c4_p7
- Gimbel, F. (2004, April 19). US activist launches hedge fund (for corporate governance). FT Fund Management. http://nylawyer.nylj.com/adgifs/decisions/120607hedgefund1.pdf
- Gompers, P., Ishii, J., & Metrick, A. (2001). Corporate governance and equity prices (NBER Working Paper No. 8449).
- Habbash, M. (2012). Earnings management, audit committee effectiveness and the role of blockholders ownership: Evidence from UK large firms. Journal of Governance and Regulation, 1(4-1), 100-116. http://doi.org/ 10.22495/jgr_v1_i4_c1_p1
- ICGN (2002). Cross border proxy voting, case studies from the 2002 proxy voting season. London: International Corporate Governance Network.
- IF AC (2003). Rebuilding public confidence in financial reporting: An international perspective. New York: International Federation of Accountants.
- IFAC (2004). Enterprise governance: Getting the balance right. New York: International Federation of Accountants.
- Kandemir, H. K. (2016). Auditing versus consultancy: a critique of the EU law reforms on the new form of auditing. Journal of Governance and Regulation, 5(3), 90-97. http://doi.org/10.22495/jgr_v5_i3_p8
- Krauß, P., & Zülch, H. (2013). The relation of auditor tenure to audit quality: Empirical evidence from the German audit market. Journal of Governance and Regulation, 2(3), 27-43. http://doi.org/10.22495/jgr_v2_i3_p2
- Larcker, D., Richardson, S., & Tuna, I. (2005, May 2). Ratings add fire to the governance debate. FT Mastering Corporate Governance. https://aaapubs.org/doi/pdf/10.2308/accr.2007.82.4.963
- Ledimo, O., & Martins, N. (2014). An audit of employee commitment to enable leaders to manage organizational talent. Journal of Governance and Regulation, 3(3-1), 128-133. http://doi.org/10.22495/jgr_v3_i3_c1_p6
- Los Angeles Times (2004, April 3). Ex-exec tells of Adelphia fraud’. https://www.jstor.org/stable/29789727?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents
- McKinsey & Company (2002). Global investor opinion survey on corporate governance, London, McKinsey & Company.Standard & Poor’s Governance Services (2002). Corporate Governance Scores: Criteria, Methodology and Definitions, New York, Standard and Poor’s. https://www. mckinsey.com/ client_ service/corporate_finance/latest_thinking/mckinsey_on_finance/~/media/DD152F22B7CC4B099913E114AC5558FB.ashx
- Monks, R. A. G., & Minow, N. (2015). Corporate Governance (5thed.). Chichester, The UK: John Wiley & Sons Ltd. http://doi.org/10.1002/ 9781119207238
- Murase, H., Numata, S., & Takeda, F. (2013). [Conference issue]. Journal of Governance and Regulation, 2(3), 7-23. http://doi.org/10.22495/jgr_v2_i3_p1
- Tayan, B. & Larcker, D. F. (2015). Corporate governance matters: A closer look at organizational choices (2nd ed.). New Jersey: Pearson Education. Retrieved from: https://www.amazon.com/Corporate-Governance-Matters- Organizational-Consequences/dp/0134031563
- Tricker, P. I. (2017). Corporate governance: principles, policies, and practices. Oxford, the UK: Oxford University Press. Retrieved from: https://global.oup.com/ukhe/product/corporate-governance-9780198702757? cc=ua&lang=en&
- UNCTAD (2003). Case study on corporate governance disclosures in the United States of America (Report No. TD/B/Com.2/ISAR/19/). Retrieved from: https://unctad.org/en/docs/c2isar19_en.pdf
- UNCTAD (2005). 2005 Review of the implementation status of corporate governance disclosures (Report No. TD/B/COM.2/ISAR/CRP.1).
- Velte, P. & Stiglbauer, M. (2012). Impact of auditor and audit firm rotation on accounting and audit quality: A critical analysis of the EC regulation draft. Journal of Governance and Regulation, 1(3), 7-13. http://doi.org/ 10.22495/jgr_v1_i3_p1
- Velte, P., & Eulerich, M. (2014). Increased auditor independence by external rotation and separating audit and non-audit duties? – A note on the European audit regulation. Journal of Governance and Regulation, 3(2), 53-62. http://doi.org/10.22495/jgr_v3_i2_p5
- Webley, S., & More, E. (2003). Does business ethics pay: Ethics and financial performance. London: Institute of Business Ethics. Retrieved from: https://www.ibe.org.uk/userfiles/doesbusethicpaysumm.pdf
- Wilkinson, N., & Coetzee, P. (2015). Internal audit assurance or consulting services rendered on governance: How does one decide? Journal of Governance and Regulation, 4(1-2), 186-200. http://doi.org/10.22495/ jgr_v4_i1_c2_p3
- Relazione Assonime “La Corporate Governance in Italia: autodisciplina, remunerazioni e comply-or-explain (anno 2017) del Febbraio 2018; http://www.assonime.it/attivita-editoriale/studi/Pagine/note-e-studi-2-2018.aspx
- 2017 CSR RepTrak – How to use data to connect CSR and Reputation and be relevant for the business; https://www.reputationinstitute.com/sites/default/files/pdfs/2017-Italy-CSR-RepTrak.pdf
- Report on corporate governance of Italian listed companies 2017 – fonte Consob; http://www.consob.it/web/consob-and-its-activities/rcg2017
- ZAMAGNI S., «Responsabilità sociale delle imprese e “Democratic Stakeholding”», Forlì, Aiccon, WorkingPaper n. 28, 2006; http://www.consob.it/web/consob-and-its-activities/rcg2017
- Milton Friedman – “The Social Responsibility of Business is to Increase its Profits” New York Times Magazine 1970; https://www.duo.uio.no/bitstream/handle/10852/38408/ Mertens_Filsosofi_Master. pdf? sequence=
- Tarantola A., 2011, Il ruolo del risk management per un efficace presidio dei rischi: le lezioni della crisi, Intervento alla CommunityCib – SDA Bocconi, Milano, 10 novembre; http://umich.edu/ ~thecore/doc/Friedman.pdf
- Amartya K. Sen Etica ed Economia Editori Laterza 1988; https://archiviomarini.sp.unipi.it//541/1/Amartya%20Sen,%20la%20filosofia%20politica%20(S_%20Carus)
- Andrew Haldane – The costs of short-termism BOE 2016; https://www.bis.org/review/r171013f.pdf
- Il codice della crisi di impresa schema di Dlgs del 10/1/2019 https://www.altalex.com/ documents/news/2018/11/28/codice-crisi-impresa-e-insolvenza
- Ahmad, M., & Alshbiel, S. (2016). Women in Jordanian banks and performance: Financial accounting measurement.[Special issue]. Risk governance & control: financial markets & institutions, 6(3-1), 7-17. http://dx.doi.org/10.22495/rcgv6i3c1art1
- Puntillo, P. (2012). An empirical analysis of fiscal federalism implementation and of cost accounting in Italian public administrations. Risk Governance and Control: Financial Markets & Institutions, 2(3), 64-75. http://dx.doi.org/10.22495/rgcv2i3art5
- Agriyanto, R., Rohman, A., Ratmono, D., & Ghozali, I. (2016). Accrual based accounting implementation: An approach for modelling major decisions. Risk governance & control: financial markets & institutions, 6(4-special issue), 531-539. http://dx.doi.org/10.22495/rgcv6i4siart12
- Rasyid, A., Sugiarto D., E., & Kosasih, W. (2017). Management accounting techniques and corporate performance of manufacturing industries. Risk governance & control: financial markets & institutions, 7(2), 116-122. http://dx.doi.org/10.22495/rgcv7i2art11
- Alrabba, H. M., & Ahmad, M. A. (2017). The role of enterprise resource planning (ERP) system in advancing the country of Jordan towards international standard accounting practices and accounting mechanisms. Risk governance & control: financial markets & institutions, 7(2), 76-94. http://dx.doi.org/10.22495/rgcv7i2art8
- Baatwah, S. (2016). Audit tenure and financial reporting in Oman: Does rotation affect the quality? [Special issue]. Risk governance & control: financial markets & institutions, 6(3-1), 18-29. http://dx.doi.org/10.22495/rcgv6i3c1art2
- Alhadab, M. (2016). Auditor report and earnings management: Evidence from FTSE 350 companies in the UK. Risk governance & control: financial markets & institutions, 6(4-2), 334-344. http://dx.doi.org/10.22495/rgcv6i4c2art11
- Kusumastuti, R., Ghozali, I., Fuad (2016). Auditor professional commitment and performance: An ethical issue role. Risk governance & control: financial markets & institutions, 6(4-special issue), 540-548. http://dx.doi.org/10.22495/rgcv6i4siart13
- Mynhardt, RH., Plastun, A., & Makarenko, I. (2017). Competitiveness of the Ukrainian audit market. Risk governance & control: financial markets & institutions, 7(2-1), 177-193. http://dx.doi.org/10.22495/rgcv7i2c1p6
- Drogalas, G., & Siopi, S. (2017). Risk management and internal audit: Evidence from Greece. Risk governance & control: financial markets & institutions, 7(3), 104-110. http://doi.org/10.22495/rgcv7i3p10
- van der Nest, D.P., Smidt, L., & Lubbe, D. (2017). The use of generalised audit software by internal audit functions in a developing country: A maturity level assessment. Risk Governance and Control: Financial Markets & Institutions, 7(4-2), 189-202. http://doi.org/10.22495/rgc7i4с2art2
- Lemonakis, C., Ballas, P., Balla, V., & Garefalakis, A. (2018). Audit fees and pricing strategy: Do restatements of internal control reports and earnings matter? Risk Governance and Control: Financial Markets & Institutions, 8(2), 63-73. http://doi.org/10.22495/rgcv8i2p4
- El-Halaby, S., Hussainey, K., Marie, M., & Mohsen, H. (2018). The determinants of financial, social and Sharia disclosure accountability for Islamic banks. Risk Governance and Control: Financial Markets & Institutions, 8(3), 21-42. http://doi.org/10.22495/rgcv8i3p2
- Eltweri, A., Altarawnah, M., Al-Hajaya K., & Al-Karaki, W. (2018). Auditing profession regulation: Lesson learned from code and common law countries regulatory approaches. Risk Governance and Control: Financial Markets & Institutions, 8(3), 80-101. http://doi.org/10.22495/rgcv8i3p6
- Ferreira, J. V. (2018). The role of the external auditor in corporate governance: The case of companies listed in the NYSE Euronext Lisbon. Risk Governance and Control: Financial Markets & Institutions, 8(4), 38-51. http://doi.org/10.22495/rgcv8i4p5
- Tutino, M., & Merlo, M. (2019). Accounting fraud: A literature review. Risk Governance and Control: Financial Markets & Institutions, 9(1), 8-25. http://doi.org/10.22495/rgcv9i1p1
Amira, H., & Nuha, B. Q. (2019). The impact of conditional conservatism on creative accounting: A suggested framework. Risk Governance and Control: Financial Markets & Institutions, 9(1), 33-44. http://doi.org/10.22495/rgcv9i1p3