Teaching Assistant, Post Graduate Researcher, Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA), Centre for Financial and Corporate Integrity, Faculty of Business and Law, Coventry University, Great Britain
The credit ratings industry has controlled by three core credit ratings agencies; Fitch, Moody’s and S&P that are contributing to financial markets by providing reliable and transparent credit ratings information on which stakeholders can rely. These key players could manipulate this information by allocating high percentages of quality ratings just for the sake of increasing their market shares. This research is conducting to examine the impact for assigning the percentage of investment grades given by CRA’s on their market share. This research will attain following objectives: firstly, to identify quality ratings assigned for each set of top banks from UK & USA and categories them yearly; secondly, to examine their market share on the basis of percentage of IG grade given; thirdly, to access the modeling and impacts of financial crisis on market share of CRA’s; finally, to determine the relationship between CRA’s market share and percentage of IG given. This research gives a detailed analysis for percentage of IG assigned by CRA’s and their market share which consist on general analysis and econometric analysis. Moreover, the research methodology is quantitative method for achieving all research objectives. For general analysis, we make a comparative study to find the impacts of high-quality ratings against their market share and evaluated the growth rate in their market share. Whereas, for econometrics analysis, we regress market share of CRA’s against the percentage of investment grades given and use lagged variables to understand the changes in market share. Besides, this allows us to find the relationship between CRA’s and percentage of IG given. Hence, the results from both analyses have exposed that there is positive correlation between CRA’s market share and percentage of IG given. It is revealed that there is an increase in market share of CRA’s on assigning high percentage of IG given by CRA’s and a negative growth rate shown in market share for those years in which they allocate less number of quality ratings. However, due to financial crisis and adjustment in credit ratings standards, there is a general fall in number of ratings assigned by CRA’s which very influences their market share.
Keywords: investment grades; market share; credit rating agencies; financial crisis; modelling of banks ratings.
JEL Classification: D20, D40, G01, G21, G24, C50, F39.
Cite as: Aslam, M. A. (2020). Does the Percentage of Investment Grades Given by Rating Agencies Impact their Market Share? Financial Markets, Institutions and Risks, 4(1), 5-31. http://doi.org/10.21272/fmir.4(1).5-31.2020.
- Allen, D. E., Powell, R., and Singh, A. (2013). A Dynamic Credit Ratings Model’, Edith Cowan University Publications 373. Available at: http://www.mssanz.org.au/modsim2013/F5/allen.pdf
- Bae, K., Kang, J., and Wang, J. (2015). Does Increased Competition Affect Credit Ratings? A Re-examination of the Effect of Fitch’s Market Share on Credit Ratings in the Corporate Bond Market’. Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis 50 (5), 1011-1035. https://doi.org/10.1017/ S0022109015000472
- Balland, P., Déprés, C., Billard, R., and Tabourot, L. (eds.) (2011). AIP Conference Proceedings. ‘Physically Based Kinematic Hardening Modelling of Single Crystal’: 1353, 1, 91-96. https://doi.org/ 10.1063/1.3589497
- Bank of England (2011). Whither the credit ratings industry?’ Financial Stability Paper, 9.
- BBC NEWS (2016) Ratings Agencies Downgrade UK Credit Rating after Brexit Vote. Available at: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36644934
- Becker, B. and Milbourn, T. (2011). How did Increased Competition Affect Credit Ratings? Journal of Financial Economics 101 (3), 493-514. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfineco.2011.03.012
- Bheemanaguda, R. and Madegowda, K. (2010). Performance appraisal for Indian Credit Ratings Agencies.
- Bolton, P., Freixas, X., and Shapiro, J. (2012). The Credit Ratings Game. The Journal of Finance 67(1), 85-111, https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-6261.2011.01708.x
- Bryman, A. and Bell, E. (2015) Business Research Methods [online]: Oxford University Press, USA
- Camanho, N., Deb, P., and Liu, Z. (2010). Credit Rating and Competition’ Lse Financial Markets Group, Discussion paper series, 653
- Cantor, R. and Packer, F. (1995). The Credit Rating Industry. The Journal of Fixed Income, 5(3), 10-34. Available at: https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/13ca/4a9d128a5b2e18f8404aef0e77af2957070f.pdf
- Caporale, G. M., Matousek, R., and Stewart, C. (2011). EU Banks Rating Assignments: Is there Heterogeneity between New and Old Member Countries?’ Review of International Economics 19(1), 189-206. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-9396.2010.00940.x
- Cohen, A. and Manuszak, M. D. (2013). Ratings Competition in the CMBS Market, Journal of Money, Credit and Banking 45 (s1), 93-119. https://doi.org/10.1111/jmcb.12040
- Dimitrov, V., Palia, D. and Tang, L. (2015). Impact of the Dodd-Frank act on credit ratings, Journal of Financial Economics, 115(3), 505-520. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfineco.2014.10.012
- DeYoung, R. and Torna, G. (2013) ‘Non-traditional Banking Activities and Bank Failures during the Financial Crisis’, Journal of Financial Intermediation 22 (3), 397-421. https://doi.org/10.1016/ j.jfi.2013.01.001
- Easterby-Smith, M., Thorpe, R., and Jackson, P. R. (2012). Management Research [online]: Sage
- Faltin-Traeger, O., Johnson, K. W., and Mayer, C. (2010). Issuer Credit Quality and the Price of Asset Backed Securities’. American Economic Review 100 (2), 501-505. DOI: 10.1257/aer.100.2.501
- Farhi, E., Lerner, J., and Tirole, J. (2013) ‘Fear of Rejection? Tiered Certification and Transparency’. The Rand Journal of Economics 44 (4), 610-631. https://doi.org/10.1111/1756-2171.12033
- Fimalac. (2016). Annual Report. Available at: http://www.fimalac.com/items/files/ f5ecf37beb048fc 109c9b 760808cb432_FIMALAC–Rapport-annuel–exercice-2016-english-version.pdf.
- Financial Crisis Inquiry Commission, United States of America, The Financial Crisis Inquiry Report (2011). Available at: http://fcic.law.stanford.edu/
- Foley, S. (2013). Rating agencies: Outlook unchanged. Financial Times. [Online] Available at: https://www.ft.com/content/38d48444-5e3d-11e2-a771-00144feab49a#axzz2QnNFC8lY
- Global Fitch Rtings (2018). Bank Rating Criteria, Master Criteria. Bank Rating Criteria. [online] Fitch Ratings. Available at: https://www.fitchratings.com/site/re/10034713
- Graham, J. R. and Harvey, C. R. (2001). The Theory and Practice of Corporate Finance: Evidence from the Field’. Journal of Financial Economics 60 (2-3), 187-243. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0304-405X(01)00044-7
- Griffin, J. M. and Tang, D. Y. (2012). Did Subjectivity Play a Role in CDO Credit Ratings?’. The Journal of Finance 67 (4), 1293-1328. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-6261.2012.01748.x
- Hill, C. A. (2004). Regulating the Rating Agencies’. Wash.ULQ 82, 43. Available at: https://openscholarship.wustl.edu/law_lawreview/vol82/iss1/2/
- Hirth, S., 2014. Credit rating dynamics and competition. Journal of Banking & Finance, 49, 100-112. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbankfin.2014.08.011
- ICAP GROUP S.A. (2013) Credit Ratings Assignment Methodology [online] Credit Risk Services. Greece: ICAP GROUP S.A. Available at: https://www.icap.gr/Images/ICAP%20Group% 20%20Credit%20Ratings% 20 Assignment%20Methodology.pdf>
- IMF (International Monetary Fund) (2010). The uses and abuses of sovereign credit ratings. Global financial stability report”, October 2010
- Jiang, J. X., Stanford, M. H., and Xie, Y. (2012) ‘Does it Matter Who Pays for Bond Ratings? Historical Evidence’. Journal of Financial Economics 105 (3), 607-621. https://doi.org/10.1016/ j.jfineco.2012.04.001
- Judge, G. G., Hill, R. C., Griffiths, W., Lutkepohl, H., and Lee, T. C. (1982) ‘Introduction to the Theory and Practice of Econometrics.’ https://www.academia.edu/11975688/The_Theory_and_Practice_of_Econometrics
- Karminsky, A. M. and Khromova, E. (2016) ‘Extended Modeling of Banks’ Credit Ratings’. Procedia Computer Science 91, 201-210
- Kartasheva, A. and Yilmaz, B. (2013). Precision of Ratings’ [ebook] Bank for International Settlements, University of Pennsylvania. Available at: https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/ 1025/26b63e2fbfbe50e0de696 82a88dd0058c459.pdf.
- Katz, L. (2008). Ratings Agencies and Their Methodology.” in Ratings Agencies and Their Methodology [online] held 2008 at Washington D.C. World Bank/IMF. Available at: https://siteresources.worldbank.org/FINANCIALSECTOR/Resources/GRatingAgencies&TheirMethodologies-LauraFeinlandKatz.pdf>
- Katz, J.G., Munoz, E.S. and Stephanou, C. (2009). Credit rating agencies: No easy regulatory solutions. The World Bank Group, Financial and Private Sector Development Vice Presidency, Crisis Response Policy Brief, 8.
- Kristina, B. (2013). Credit Rating Agencies (Cras). The EU Regulatory Framework Assessment, Bachelor of Business Administration Helsinki, Metropolia University of Applied Sciences.
- Kudva, R. (2010). A Business Model for Rating Agencies: Learning from the CRISIL Experience [online] CRISIL, A Standard & Poor’s Company. Available from http://siteresources.worldbank.org/ FINANCIALSECTOR/Resources/Session5_RoopaKudva_presentation.pdf>.
- Lucchetti, A. (2008). Big Credit-Rating Firms Agree To Reforms. The Wall Street Journal [online] Available at: https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB121268203224348921>
- Mixon Jr, J. (2009). GRETL: An Econometrics Package for Teaching and Research, Managerial Finance 36 (1), 71-81
- Moody’s Investor Services. (2020). Rating symbols and Definitions for January 2020. Available at: https://www.moodys.com/sites/products/AboutMoodysRatingsAttachments/MoodysRatingSymbolsandDefinitions.pdf
- Moody’s Investor Services, (2016) Moody’s Corporation Annual Report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2016. Available at: http://d18rn0p25nwr6d.cloudfront.net/CIK-0001059556/795d327d-c6b9-48dd-8437-d82865accb86.pdf.
- Moody’s Investors Service (‘‘MIS’’). (2018). Procedures and Methodologies Used to Determine Credit Ratings. [online] Moody’s Investors Service. Available at: https://www.moodys.com/sites/products/ ProductAttachments/Exhibit2.pdf.
- Moody’s Investors Service, Global Research Centre (2006). Moody’s Credit Rating Prediction Model. Report Number: 100722. [online] Moody’s Investors Service. Available at: https://www.moodys.com/sites/ products/DefaultResearch/2006200000425644.pdf
- Morgan, D. P. (2002) ‘Rating Banks: Risk and Uncertainty in an Opaque Industry’. American Economic Review 92 (4), pp.874-888. DOI: 10.1257/00028280260344506
- Muñoz, C. S., Monsálvez, J. M. P., and de Guevara Radoselovics, Juan Fernández (2012). Impact of the Subprime Crisis on Bank Ratings: The Effect of the Hardening of Rating Policies and Worsening of Solvency’. Documentos De Trabajo (Fundación BBVA) (12), 3-42. Available at: http://www.grupobbva.com/ TLFU/dat/DT_12_2012_web.pdf
- Neate, R. (2011) “Ratings Agencies Suffer ‘Conflict Of Interest’, Says Former Moody’s Boss”. THE GUARDIAN [online] Available at: https://www.theguardian.com/business/2011/aug/22/ratings-agencies-conflict-of-interest>
- Öğüt, H., Doğanay, M. M., Ceylan, N. B., and Aktaş, R. (2012) ‘Prediction of Bank Financial Strength Ratings: The Case of Turkey’. Economic Modelling 29 (3), 632-640. https://doi.org/10.1016/ j.econmod.2012.01.010
- Owlett, R. H. and Yu, F. (2016) ‘A Re-Examination of Rating Shopping and Catering using Post-Crisis Data on CDOs’. Economics Letters 147, 164-167. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.econlet.2016.08.031
- Packer, F. and Tarashev, N. A. (2011) ‘Rating Methodologies for Banks’, BIS Quarterly Review, June
- Pastor, J. M., Salvador, C., and de Guevara, J. F. (2014). Impact of the Subprime Crisis on Bank Ratings: The Effect of the Hardening of Rating Policies and Worsening of Solvency, Journal of Financial Stability 11, 13-31. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfs.2013.10.005
- Peresetsky, A. A., Karminsky, A. A., and Golovan, S. V. (2011) ‘Probability of Default Models of Russian Banks, Economic Change and Restructuring 44 (4), 297-334
- Ramakrishnan, S. and Scipio, P. (2016). Big three in credit ratings still dominate business. Reuters. [Online] Available at: https://uk.reuters.com/article/uscorpbonds-ratings-idUKL2N17U1L4 [Accessed Aug. 2018].
- Rating Agencies and the Use of Credit Ratings Under the Federal Securities Laws, Securities Act Release Nos. 8236, 47972, 68 Fed. Reg. 35258 (June 12, 2003). Available at: http://www.sec.gov/rules/
- Rutledge, A. (2016). How the Credit Rating Agency Game Is Changing. Forbes. [online] Available at: https://www.forbes.com/sites/annrutledge/2016/04/04/how-the-credit-rating-agency-game-is-changing/#37ce2aa64e78
- S&P Global Inc. Annual Report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2016, available at:http://investor.spglobal.com/Cache/38247824.PDF?O=PDF&T=&Y=&D=&FID=38247824&iid=4023623
- Salvador, C., de Guevara Radoselovics, Juan Fernández, and Monsálvez, J. M. P. (2014) ‘The Adjustment of Bank Ratings in the Financial Crisis: International Evidence’. Documentos De Trabajo FUNCAS (750), 1. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.najef.2018.01.001
- Saunders, M., Lewis, P., and Thornhill, A. (2009). Research Methods for Business Students [online] : Pearson education.
- Saunders, M., Lewis, P., and Thornhill, A. (2009). Research Onion’. Research Methods for Business Students, 136-162
- SEC (Securities and Exchange Commission) (2008). Summary report of issues identified in the Commission Staff’s Examinations of Select Credit Rating Agencies. July 2008
- Seetharaman, A., Kumar Sahu, V., Saravanan, A. S., Rudolph Raj, J., and Niranjan, I. (2017). The Impact of Risk Management in Credit Rating Agencies’. Risks, 5 (4), 52. https://doi.org/10.3390/risks5040052
- Shen, C., Huang, Y., and Hasan, I. (2012). Asymmetric Benchmarking in Bank Credit Rating’. Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money 22 (1), 171-193. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.intfin.2011.08.004
- Skreta, V. and Veldkamp, L. (2009) ‘Ratings Shopping and Asset Complexity: A Theory of Ratings Inflation’. Journal of Monetary Economics 56 (5), 678-695
- Standard & Poor’s Ratings Services (2014). What are credit ratings and how do they work? [Online] Guide to credit rating essentials. Standard & Poor’s Ratings Services Magraw Hill Financials. Available from https://www.spratings.com/documents/20184/760102/SPRS_UnderstandingRatings_GRE.pdf/298e606f-ce5b-4ece-9076-66810cd9b6aa
- Stanton, R. and Wallace, N. (2011) ‘the Bear’s Lair: Index Credit Default Swaps and the Subprime Mortgage Crisis’. The Review of Financial Studies 24 (10), 3250-3280. https://doi.org/10.1093/rfs/hhr073
- Strier, F. (2008). Rating the Raters: Conflicts of Interest in the Credit Rating Firms’. Business and Society Review 113 (4), 533-553. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-8594.2008.00331.x
- Sundmacher, M. and Ellis, C. (2011). Bank ‘ratings Arbitrage’: Is LGD a Blind Spot in Economic Capital Calculations?’ International Review of Financial Analysis 20 (1), 6-11. https://doi.org/ 10.1016/ j.irfa.2010.11.001
- The Guardian (2012). How credit rating agencies rule the world. Available at https://www.theguardian.com/business/2012/feb/15/credit-ratings-agencies-moodys
- The New York Times (2009). Moody’s Official Concedes Failures in Some Ratings. Available at: https://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/26/business/26moodys.html
- The Use of Credit Ratings by Financial Intermediaries Article 5(A) Of the CRA Regulation (2014) European Securities and Markets Authority
- U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, MCMXXXIV (2017) Annual Report On Nationally Recognized Statistical Rating Organizations [online] Section 6 of the Credit Rating Agency Reform Act of 2006. Available from < https://www.sec.gov/ocr/reportspubs/annual-reports/2017-annual-report-on-nrsros.pdf>
- UK Government Actuary’s Department (2018). Investment News. Insurance and Investment Team. [online] UK: Institute and Faculty of Acturies, UK. Available at: https://assets. publishing.service. gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/718731/May_2018_update.pdf
- US Exchange commission (2016) (2010). Competition And Credit Rating Agencies. OCED Hearings. [Online] Directorate for Financial and Enterprise Affairs Competition Committee. Available at: Https://Www.Oecd.Org/Competition/sectors/46825342.pdf [Accessed Aug. 2018].
- White L.J. (2002). The Credit Rating Industry: An Industrial Organization Analysis. In: Levich R.M., Majnoni G., Reinhart C.M. (eds) Ratings, Rating Agencies and the Global Financial System. The New York University Salomon Center Series on Financial Markets and Institutions, 9. Springer, Boston, MA
- White, L. J. (2010). Markets: The Credit Rating Agencies, Journal of Economic Perspectives 24 (2), 211-226, DOI: 10.1257/jep.24.2.211
- Wilson, J. (2014). Essentials of Business Research: A Guide to Doing Your Research Project [online]: Sage. Available at: https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/097215091101200211
- Xia, H. (2014). Can Investor-Paid Credit Rating Agencies Improve the Information Quality of Issuer-Paid Rating Agencies?’ Journal of Financial Economics 111 (2), 450-468. https://doi.org/10.1016/ j.jfineco.2013.10.015