PhD, Associate Professor, Sumy State University, Ukraine
PhD, Associate Professor, Sumy college of economic and trade, Ukraine
The article is devoted to the analysis of tendencies and research of approaches to definition of strategic management of the bank in the scientific literature, to the identification of future perspective directions of research of this problem. VOSviewer software was used for bibliometric analysis, the object of the study was 5901 articles in scientific journals indexed by Scopus and Web of Science scientific databases, the study period was the time interval from 1991 to 2019. The article substantiates that in 2007-2009 the focus of the study has shifted from general strategic management issues to risk management issues of the bank’s business strategy. In 2019, the number of papers devoted to strategic bank management increased rapidly – by 343% compared to 2007. The use of the VOSviewer tool revealed 5 clusters of the relationship between strategic bank management theory and other theories based on scientific concepts. The largest research cluster combines the expertise of researchers who study strategic bank management in close connection with concepts that study the bank’s business models, business strategy, competition, banking performance, banking services and more. The second largest cluster brought together scholars who study the theory of strategic bank management at the intersection with the theories of strategic planning, finance, commerce, e-commerce, management, information management, planning, investing, technological development and more. The third largest cluster brings together scholars who consider strategic bank management through the lens of corporate governance, corporate strategy, financial market trends, retail banking, bank profitability, and more. The conducted research leads to the conclusion that business strategy, profitability and strategic risk management are the priority components of banking strategic management.
Keywords: bank, banking, strategy, strategic management, business strategy, business model.
JEL Classification: G21.
Cite as: Kryvych, Y., Goncharenko, T. (2020). Banking strategic management and business model: bibliometric analysis. Financial Markets, Institutions and Risks, 4(1), 76-85. http://doi.org/10.21272/fmir.4(1).76-85.2020.
- Accenture. (2015). Banking Customer 2020. Rising Expectations Point to the Everyday Bank. [Online] Available at: https://www.accenture.com/t20150710T130243__w__/us-en/_acnmedia/Accenture/ Conversion-Assets/DotCom/Documents/Global/PDF/Dualpub_17/Accenture-Banking-Consumer-Pulse.pdf
- Alani, E., Kamarudin, S., Alrubaiee, L., & Tavakoli, R. (2019). A model of the relationship between strategic orientation and product innovation under the mediating effect of customer knowledge management. Journal of International Studies, 12(3), 232-242. doi:10.14254/2071-8330.2019/12-3/19
- Agarwal, Sumit, John C. Driscoll, Xavier Gabaix, and David Laibson. (2009). The age of reason: financial decisions over the life-cycle with implications for regulation. Brookings Papers on Economic Activity 2:51-117.
- Bain & Company. (2015). Customer Behaviour, Experience and Loyalty in Retail Banking. [Online] Available at:http://www.bain.com/publications/articles/customer-loyalty-in-retail-banking-2015-global.aspx.
- Beltratti, Andrea and Stulz, Rene M. (July 13, 2009). Why Did Some Banks Perform Better during the Credit Crisis? A Cross-Country Study of the Impact of Governance and Regulation. Fisher College of Business Working Paper No. 2009-03-012. Available at: https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers. cfm?abstract_id=1433502
- Björk, S. (2015). Corporate customer loyalty within the banking Sector: The case of SEB. [Online]. Available at: http://www.diva-portal.org/smash/get/diva2:886167/FULLTEXT01.pdf.
- Demirgüç-Kunt, A., Huizinga, H. (2010). Bank activity and funding strategies: the impact on risk
and returns. Journal of Financial Economics 98, 626-650. Available at: https://econpapers.repec.org/article /eeejfinec/ v_3a98_3ay_3a2010_3ai_3a3_3ap_3a626-650.htm
- Hryckiewicz, A., Kozlowski, L. (2015). Banking business models and the nature of financial crises. MPRA Paper 64072, University Library of Munich, Germany. Available at: https://ideas.repec.org/p/pra/mprapa/ 64072.html, revised 09 Mar 2015.
- Financial services. (2015). The fintech revolution. A wave of startups is changing finance- for the better. [Online] Available at: http://www.economist.com/news/leaders/21650546-wave-startups-changing-financefor-better-fintech-revolution.
- Lautenschläger, S. (2017). Digital native? Fintechs and the future of banking. [Online] Available at: https://www.bankingsupervision.europa.eu/press/speeches/date/2017/ html/se170327_1.en.html
- Ogden, J. (2017). The Biggest Challenge Facing Banks in 2017 and a Checklist to Overcome It. [Online] Available at: https://www.mx.com/moneysummit/the-top-5-consumer-wants-in-banking-and-a-checklist-to-meet-them.
- Osterwalder, A. (2004). The Business Model Ontology—A Proposition in a Design Science Approach. PhD Thesis, University of Lausanne, Switzerland. Available at: http://www.hec.unil.ch/aosterwa/ PhD/Osterwalder_PhD_BM_Ontology.pdf
- Sanjeepan, N. (2017). Strategic Analysis and Strategic Planning for Commercial Banking (An Analysis based a Commercial Bank operating in Sri Lanka). Int J Econ Manag Sci 6: 418. Available at: https://www.hilarispublisher.com/open-access/strategic-analysis-and-strategic-planning-for-commercial-banking-an-analysis-based-a-commercial-bank-operating-in-sri-lanka-2162-6359-1000418.pdf