Assistant, Junior Researcher, Department of Finance and Entrepreneurship, Sumy State University, Sumy, Ukraine
This paper deals with the study of world and European rankings for innovative development. It is emphasized that Ukraine ranks quite low compared to other countries and even its own last year’s results. The dynamics of Ukraine’s position in the Global Innovation Index, is presented for the period from 2009 to 2019. The paper focuses on the tendency that innovation activity and the high level of its financial support are concentrated mainly in individual countries and regions. In this regard, the relevance of the determining factors / indicators of the greatest influence and the reasons for the unsatisfactory state of innovation development in Ukraine is substantiated. The purpose of the study is to substantiate and formalize the impact of financial policy indicators to ensure innovative development on the overall level of innovative development. In addition, attention is paid to the functional relationship between the level of competitiveness and innovation capacity, a significant positive relationship between the indicators of the country’s innovation capacity and the dynamism of business and financial system, and so on. Methodical tools are methods of correlation and regression analysis. As a result, some hypotheses have been confirmed, not confirmed or partially confirmed. The study empirically confirms and theoretically proves that the percentage of Gross Domestic Expenditure on Research and Development (GERD) in GDP, the share of Gross Domestic Expenditure on Research and Development (GERD) represented by the business sector and the share of Gross Domestic Expenditure on Research and Development (GERD) financed by business, the volume of domestic credit to the private sector and ease of regulation / resolution of insolvency – these indicators have a direct (positive), strong dependence and significance of correlation with the general level of innovative development.
Keywords: methods of correlation and regression analysis, financial policy, financial support, financial support, functional dependence, innovative development, innovation index, level of innovation, innovation rating.
JEL Classification: G18, G32, H50, O31, O32.
Cite as: Samoilikova, A. (2020). Financial Policy of Innovation Development Providing: The Impact Formalization. Financial Markets, Institutions and Risks, 4(2), 5-15. https://doi.org/10.21272/fmir.4(2).5-15.2020.
- Bloomberg Innovation Index. Available at: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-01-18/germany-breaks-korea-s-six-year-streak-as-most-innovative-nation Accessed 20 February 2020.
- Crespob, N.F., Crespob, C. (2016). Global innovation index: Moving beyond the absolute value of ranking with a fuzzy-set analysis. Journal of Business Research, Volume 69, Issue 11, p. 5265-5271. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2016.04.123
- European Innovation Scoreboard. Available at: https://ec.europa.eu/growth/industry/innovation/facts-figures/scoreboards_en Accessed 06 March 2020.
- Ghosh, I. (2020). Ranked: The Most Innovative Economies in the World. Available at:: https://www.visualcapitalist.com/world-most-innovative-economies/ Accessed 10 March 2020.
- Gorin V.A., 2016. Development of the system of indicators for monitoring of innovative activity. Russian Journal of Agricultural and Socio-Economic Sciences, 60(12), 123-129. Available at: http://cyberleninka.ru/article/n/development-of-the-system-of-indicators-for-monitoring-of-innovative-activity Accessed 10 March 2020.
- Halʹchuk, A.A. (2016) Mistse innovatsiynoho potentsialu ukrayiny v mizhnarodnykh ekonomichnykh reytynhakh. Investytsiyi: praktyka ta dosvid, № 8, 70-72 [Halchuk, A. Place of Innovative Potential of Ukraine in International Economic Rankings. Investments: Practice and Experience, No. 8, 70-72.]. Available at: http://www.investplan.com.ua/pdf/8_2016/16.pdf Accessed 10 March 2020
- Hollanders, H., Es-Sadki, N., Merkelbach I. (2019). European Innovation Scoreboard 2019. Luxembourg: Publications Office of the European Union. 95 p. Available at: https://ec.europa.eu/growth/sites/growth/files/ris2019.pdf
- Illyashenko, S.M., Shypulina YU.S., Illyashenko N.S. (2018). Analiz pozytsiy Ukrayiny u mizhnarodnykh reytynhakh innovatsiynoho rozvytku. Stalyy rozvytok — ХХІ stolittya: upravlinnya, tekhnolohiyi, modeli. Dyskusiyi 2018: kolektyvna monohrafiya / M.A. Minenko, V.I. Bendyuh, B.M. Komarysta ta in. / za nauk. red. prof. YE.V. Khlobystova. Kyiv: NTUU «Kyyivsʹkyy politekhnichnyy instytut imeni Ihorya Sikorsʹkoho»; Natsionalʹnyy universytet «Kyyevo-Mohylyansʹka akademiya»; Vyshcha ekonomiko-humanitarna shkola, 183-195. [Ilyashenko, S.M., Shipulina Y.S., Ilyashenko N.S. (2018). Analysis of Ukraine’s position in international innovation development rankings. Sustainable development – 21st century: management, technologies, models. Discussions 2018: a collective monograph / MA Minenko, VI Bendyug, B.M. Komarista and others. / for science. ed. prof. EV Khlobistova. Kyiv: NTUU “Igor Sikorsky Kyiv Polytechnic Institute”; National University “Kyiv-Mohyla Academy”; Higher School of Economics and Humanities, 183-195.]. Available at: https://essuir.sumdu.edu.ua/bitstream-download/123456789/70781/1/Illiashenko_Shipulina_Illiashenko _Nedin_2018.pdf;jsessionid=614F4DC6EEC06B2713A1A1A090236F83 Accessed 10 March 2020.
- Mamatova, L. Sh. (2018). Rozvytok innovatsiynoyi diyalʹnosti Ukrayiny v mizhnarodnomu konteksti. Reporter of The Priazovskyi State Technical University, Section: Economic sciences, Issue 36, 279-291. [Mamatova, L. (2018). Development of innovation activity of Ukraine in the international context. Reporter of The Priazovsky State Technical University, Section: Economic Sciences, Issue 36, 279-291]. Available at: http://eir.pstu.edu/bitstream/handle/123456789/23400/42.pdf?sequence=1 Accessed 10 March 2020.
- Miller, T., B. Kim, A., M. Roberts, J. (2019). 2018 Index of Economic Freedom. Washington: The Heritage Foundation. 492 р.
- Miller, T., B. Kim, A., M. Roberts, J. (2019). 2019 Index of Economic Freedom. 25th Anniversary Edition. Washington: The Heritage Foundation. 496 р.
- Past Reports of the Global Innovation Index. Available at: https://www.globalinnovationindex.org/about-gii#reports Accessed 20 February 2020.
- Salahodjaev, R. (2019). Why Should Uzbekistan Improve its Position in the Global Innovation Index? Available at: https://cabar.asia/en/why-should-uzbekistan-improve-its-position-in-the-global-innovation-index/ Accessed 10 March 2020.
- Schwab, K. (2018). World Economic Forum. The Global Competitiveness Report 2018. Geneva. 671 р. Available at: http://www3.weforum.org/docs/WEF_TheGlobalCompetitivenessReport2019.pdf
- Schwab, K. (2019). World Economic Forum. The Global Competitiveness Report 2019. Geneva. 666 р. Available at: https://www.weforum.org/reports/how-to-end-a-decade-of-lost-productivity-growth
- Smoliy, L. Revutska, A, Novak, I. (2018). Influence of Innovation Factor in Economic Dynamics in Europe. Marketing and Management of Innovations, 1, 247-258. DOI: 10.21272/mmi.2018.1-18
- The Global Innovation Index 2018: Energizing the World with Innovation (2018). Cornell University, INSEAD, and WIPO: Ithaca, Fontainebleau, and Geneva. 429 р. Available at: https://www.wipo.int/edocs/pubdocs/en/wipo_pub_gii_2018.pdf
- The Global Innovation Index 2019: Creating Healthy Lives – The Future of Medical Innovation (2019). Cornell University, INSEAD, and WIPO: Ithaca, Fontainebleau, and Geneva. 451 р.
- The Interactive Database of the GII 2019 Indicators. Available at: https://www.globalinnovationindex.org/analysis-indicator Accessed 06 March 2020.
- Yehorov, I.YU. (2016) Innovatsiyne tablo YES ta vyznachennya mistsya u nʹomu Ukrayiny. Visnyk NAN Ukrayiny, № 5, 87-91. [Yegorov, I.Yu. (2016) The EU Innovation Scoreboard and the definition of Ukraine’s place in it. Visnyk of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, No. 5, 87-91.] Available at: http://dspace.nbuv.gov.ua/bitstream/handle/123456789/104822/24-Egorov.pdf?sequence=1 Accessed 10 March 2020