PhD, Professor, Department of Economics, Shanghai University, China
School of Economics Shanghai University, China
A Study of Economic Factors Affecting Thailand’s Frozen Shrimp Export Volume to the United States and Japan which hypothesized that there are economic factors that affect the quantity of frozen shrimp exports from Thailand to the United States, namely the Manufacturing Production Index classified by production activity, Frozen Seafood (MPI), Domestic Wholesale Shrimp Price (PRIshrimp), United States Gross Domestic Product (GDPU.S.A.), Per Capita Income of US Population (PCIU.S.A.), Rate Of Change In Private Consumption And Consumption Expenditures Of The US Private Sector (PCEU.S.A.) and assumed that there are economic factors affecting the quantity of frozen shrimp exports to Japan, namely the Manufacturing Production Index classified by production activity, Frozen Seafood Category (MPI), Domestic Wholesale Shrimp Price (PRIshrimp) , Japan Gross Domestic Product (GDPJapan), Per Capita Income Of Japanese Population (PCIJapan), Rate Of Change In Private Consumption And Consumption Expenditures Of The Japanese Private Sector (PCEJapan) which are consistent with the research of Pathumnakul, S., Khamjan, S., & Piewthongngam, K. (2007). Will use secondary data by collecting data on a monthly basis from January 2017 to December 2019 with the analysis of complex regression equations. By the least squares estimation method, the study found that the economic factors affecting frozen shrimp export volume of Thailand to the United States in the same direction is manufacturing production index classified by production activity, frozen seafood category, wholesale shrimp prices in the country, the gross domestic product of USA, income per capita of the United States population and rate of change in US private consumption expenditure has no effect on the export volume of frozen shrimp from Thailand to the United States. For economic factors affecting the frozen shrimp export volume of Thailand to Japan in the same direction is statistically significant, the manufacturing production index classified by production activity, frozen seafood category, wholesale shrimp prices in the country, the gross domestic product of Japan, income per capita of the Japanese population and the rate of change in Japanese private consumption expenditure has no effect on the export volume of frozen shrimp from Thailand to Japan.
Keywords: economic factors, frozen shrimp, export volume.
JEL Classification: F12, F14.
Cite as: Shuquan, H., Bu-iad, M. (2020). Economic factors affecting Thailand’s frozen shrimp export volume to the United States and Japan. Financial Markets, Institutions and Risks, 4(4), 66-74. https://doi.org/10.21272/fmir.4(4).66-74.2020
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License
- Bank of Thailand. (2020). Production Industrial Index Classified by Production Activity Frozen seafood category. Retrieved from: http://www.bot.or.th/
- Cao, M. (2012). Supply Chain Collaboration. Springer Science & Business Media, 198. Retrieved from: https://www.springer.com/gp/book/9781447145905
- Dwivedi, D. N. (2009). Principles of Economics, 2Nd Edition. Vikas Publishing House, 12. Retrieved from: https://www.vikaspublishing.com/books/business-economics/economics/principles-economics/9788125916512/
- Hallak, J. C., & Schott, P. K. (2011). Estimating cross-country differences in product quality, The Quarterly Journal of Economics, 126, 417-474. Retrieved from: https://econpapers.repec.org/RePEc:oup:qjecon:v:126:y:2011:i:1:p:417-474
- Information and Communication Technology Center. Office of the Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Commerce in cooperation with the Customs Department. (2020). Thai processed shrimp export markets. Retrieved from: http://www.ops3.moc.go.th/
- International Monetary Fund, Gross Domestic Product, Per Capita Income, and Transition Rate of Private Consumption Expenditure of the United States and Japan. (2019). Retrieved from: http://www.bloomberg.or.th/
- Islam, S. B., & Habib, M. M. (2013) Supply chain management in fishing industry: A case study, International Journal of Supply Chain Management, 2(2), 40-50. Retrieved from: https://ojs.excelingtech.co.uk/index.php/IJSCM/article/view/753
- Jung, H. D., Choi, Y. S., Cheon, D. W., & Kim, K. H. (2011). Value chain the economic impacts of native Korean cattle industry, Korean Journal of Agricultural Management and Policy, 38(4), 867-887. Retrieved from: https://www.koreascience.or.kr/article/JAKO201734964190436.page
- Kurata, H. (Ed.). (2009). A New Measure for the Efficiency of the Ordinary Least Squares Estimator in a General Linear Regression Model Economic Society of Yamaguchi University, 10(21).
- Lebel, L. et al. (2002). Industrial transformation and shrimp aquaculture in Thailand and Vietnam: Pathways to ecological, Social and economic sustainability, 31(4), 311-323. Retrieved from: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/12174602/
- Menasveta, P. (1992). Shrimps Culture Industry in Thailand, 691–699. https://doi.org/10.1016/b978-0-444-88606-4.50039-4
- Ministry of Industry, Office of Industrial Economics. (2017). Information of the processed shrimp industry of Thailand 2017. Retrieved from: http://www.oie.go.th/assets/portals/1/files/monthly_report/anualreport2017_2018.pdf
- Mishra, Dr. R. (2008). Industrial Economics and Management Principles. Firewall Media, 284. Retrieved from: https://books.google.com.cy/books/about/Industrial_Economics_and_Management_Prin.html?id=7V2jidPpOAsC&hl=en&output=html_text
- Pathumnakul, S., Khamjan, S., & Piewthongngam, K. (2007). Procurement decisions regarding shrimp supplies for Thai shrimp processors. Aquacultural Engineering, 37(3), 215–221. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aquaeng.2007.06.002
- Porter, M. E. (2008). Competitive advantage: Creating and sustaining superior performance, New York: Simon and Schuster. Retrieved from: https://www.hbs.edu/faculty/Pages/item.aspx?num=193
- Porter, M. E. (2011). The competitive advantage of nations, New York: Simon and Schuster. Retrieved from: https://www.simonandschuster.com/books/Competitive-Advantage-of-Nations/Michael-E-Porter/9781451651492
- Rieple, A., & Singh, R. (2010). A value chain analysis of the organic cotton industry: The case of UK retailers and Indian suppliers, Ecological Economics, 69(11), 2292-2302. Retrieved from: https://ideas.repec.org/a/eee/ecolec/v69y2010i11p2292-2302.html
- Sangho, Y., Labaste, P., & Ravry, C. (2011). Growing Mali’s mango exports: Linking farmer to market through innovations in the value chain, in Yes, Africa can: Success stories from a dynamic continent, pp. 167-183, Washington, DC: World Bank Publications. Retrieved from: https://www.semanticscholar.org /paper/Growing-Mali’s-mango-exports-%3A-linking-farmers-to-Sangho-Labaste/f1a4e088fa09a995fbf3320d2e157ce115abda9a
- Sriboonchitta, S. (2001). Thai shrimps in the world production and market, agribusiness research on marketing and trade, Chiang Mai: Multiple Cropping Center, Chiang Mai University. Retrieved from: https://edepot.wur.nl/36156
- Tabarestani, M., Keithly, W. R., & Marzoughi-Ardakani, H. (2017). An Analysis of the US Shrimp Market: A Mixed Demand Approach. Marine Resource Economics, 32(4), 411–429. https://doi.org/10.1086/693360
- Thai Union Feedmill (TFM) Thai Union Feedmill Company Limited Wholesale shrimp prices in Thailand January 2017 – December 2019. (2019). Retrieved from: www.thaiunionfeedmill.com
- Wati, L. A., Chang, Wen-I, & Mustadjab, Moch Muslich (Eds.). (2013). Competitiveness of Indonesian Shrimp Compare with Thailand Shrimp in Export Market. 16(1), 31. https://doi.org/10.21776/ub.wacana
- Zokaei, A. K., & Simons, D. W. (2006). Value chain analysis in consumer focus improvement: A case study of the UK red meat industry, International Journal of Logistics Management, 17(2), 141. Retrieved from: https://www.deepdyve.com/lp/emerald-publishing/value-chain-analysis-in-consumer-focus-improvement-a-case-study-of-the-V9tJQlzZt4