, Associate Professor, Department of Economics, University of Yazd, Iran
, Professional Lecturer, Department of Economics, Imam Javad University, Iran
The increasing trend of financial market makes it necessary to study about these markets. Stock market is one of the basic components of the financial markets. Besides equipping local savings and leading them to production, stock market as an important part of the capital market is able to support growth and expansion of the economy. Stock market not only impacts the national economy, but also it influences on the international economy as well. Therefore, there is a significant relation between the evolution of stock market and economic boom and depres-sion, and also macroeconomic variables in each country. In view of the fact that stock market index is affected by different factors, especially macroeconomic variables, this research aims to investigate the effect of such varia-bles (inflation, liquidity, real exchange rate) on the stock price index of the Tehran Stock Exchange using month-ly data and considering Auto-Regressive Distribution Lag Method (ARDL) during the period of 2005-2014. The results of the research show that there is a long run relation between stock price index and the investigated varia-bles (inflation, liquidity and real exchange rate). According to the findings, inflation due to current public spend-ing and revising portfolio has a negative effect on the Tehran Stock Price index. In addition, real exchange rate and inflation has a negative effect on such an index.
Keywords: inflation, liquidity, real exchange rate, Tehran Stock Price index, ARDL method.
JEL Classification: C5, G1, E44.
Cite as: Makiyan, S. N., Alibeiki, H. (2017). Macroeconomic indices and capital market: evidence from Tehran Stock Market. SocioEconomic Challenges, 1(2), 19-26. http://doi.org/10.21272/sec.1(2).19-26.2017.
- Ebrahimi, M.; Shekari, N. (2011). The impact of macroeconomic variables on the stock price by emphasizing on the role of the monetary policy. Economic Modeling Quarterly, Fifth Year, No. 1.
- Central Bank of Islamic Republic of Iran, Researches of the economic studies over different years.
- Baktash, L. (2012). The effective factors of predicting stock price index of the Tehran Stock Exchange over 1997 to 2008. The first international conference on econometric and its applications, Islamic Azad University of Sanandaj.
- Empirical analysis of inflation and monetary policy rule in Iran (2006). Central Bank of Islamic Republic of Iran.
- Saeidi, P., Amiri, A. (2008). The relationship between inflation and stock price of the industries in the Tehran Stock Exchange. Managerial Quarterly, No. 12.
- Taheri, H., Sarem, M. (2011). The relationship between the exchange rate and the stock price index of the Tehran Stock Exchange by using ARDL. Economic Studies Quarterly, 60, 63-80.
- Karim Zadeh, M. (2006). Examining the long-term relationship between stock price index and macro-monetary variables in Iran’s economy. Economic Researches of Iran, No. 26.
- Karim Zadeh, M., Soltani, A. (2010). Estimating the long-term relationship of the stock price index of the financial intermediaries with the macro-monetary variables by using ARDL. Financial Accounting Quarterly, 6, 1-18.
- Mousayi, M., Mehrgan, N. and Amiri, H. (2010). The relationship of the stock market and macroeconomic variables in Iran. Economic Studies and Policies, 54, 73-94.
- Yari, S., Farmandoust, K. (2012). The main factors of determining the stock price. Stock Exchange Journal, No. 33.
- Alam, Mahmudul, and Salah Uddin, G. (2009). Relationship between Interest Rate and Stock Price: Empirical Evidence From Developed and Developing Countries. International Journal of Business and Management, 4(3).
- Asaolu, T.O., and Ogunmuyiwa M.S. (2011). An Econometric Analysis of the Impact of Macroecomomic Variables on Stock Market Movement in Nigeria. Asian Journal of Business Management, 3(1), 72-78.
- Bhattacharyya, B. and Mukherjee, J. (2006). Indian Stock Price Movement and the Macroeconomic Context : A Time Series Analysis. Journal of International Business and Economics, 5(1), 167-181.
- Fama, E.F. et al. (1977). Assets Returnes and Inflation. Journal of Financial Economics, 5, 115-146.
- Ibrahim, M.H. (1999). Macroeconomic Variables and Stock Prices in Malaysia: an Empirical Analysis. Asian Economic Journal, 13, 219-231.
- Imran & et al. (2010). Causal Relationship between Macroeconomic Indicators and Stock Exchange Prices in Pakistan. African Journal of Business Management, 4(3).
- Ioanidis, Ch. and A. Kontonikas. (2007). the Impact of Monetary Policy on Stock Prices. Journal of Policy Modeling, 6(15).
- Mookerjee, R. and Yu, Q. (1997). Macroeconomic Variables and Stock Prices in Small Open Economy: The Case of Singapore. Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, No. 5.
- Naik Kumar, P. and Padhi, P. (2012). the Impact of Macroeconomics Fundamentals on Stock Price Revisited: Evidence from India Data. Eurasian Journal of Business and Economics, 5(10), 25-44.
- Zubeiru, Salifu, Kofi, A. and Charles, K.D. (2007). Foreign Exchange Risk: Exposure of Listed Companies in Ghana. The Journal of Risk Finance, 8(4), 380-393.