, MA Student, Department of Social Security, Bonn-Rhein-Sieg University of Applied Sciences, Sankt Augustin, Germany
This paper summarizes the arguments and counterarguments within the scientific discussion on the issue of the Boko Haram conflict in Nigeria. The main purpose of the research is to assess the socio-economic impacts of the Boko Haram uprising. Systematization literary sources and approaches for solving the problem of the social and economic effects of the conflict indicates that there are two main approaches that are important to the Nigerian government to utilize in bringing the conflict to an end. The relevance of the decision of this scientific problem is that the conflict has taken its toll on the Nigerian economy and also affects the social lives of people living within and close to the conflict zone. Investigation of the topic of armed conflict and its socioeconomic impact in the paper is carried out in the following logical sequence: the opening introduction of the negative effects of conflict, followed by a paragraph on conflicts in Africa. Methodological tools of the research methods were a few years of research on the negative impacts of the conflict. The object of research is Nigeria that has experienced armed conflict because the country has been engulfed in the Boko Haram uprising since 2009. The paper presents the results of an empirical analysis of the enormous damage the Boko Haram conflict has done to the social and economic aspects of the Nigerian society which showed that the Nigerian government needs a proactive approach to end the conflict. The research empirical-ly confirms and theoretically proves that armed conflict affects a country’s economy as well as the lives of people living close to a conflict zone. The results of the research can be useful for finding a lasting solution to the Boko Haram conflict in Nigeria.
Keywords: Boko Haram, conflict, insurgency, socioeconomic, systematic review.
JEL Classification: E62, G21, I10, I12, I31, J12, J64.
Cite as: Awojobi, O. N. (2019). Re-Assessing The Socioeconomic Effects Of The Boko Haram Conflict In A Qualitative Systematic Review. SocioEconomic Challenges, 3(1), 42-51. http://doi.org/10.21272/sec.3(1).42-51.2019.
- Bauernschuster. S., Driva, A., Hornung, E. (2017). Bismarck’s health insurance and its impact on mortality | VOX, CEPR Policy Portal [Internet]. [cited 2018 Nov 4]. Available from: https://voxeu.org/article/bismarck-s-health-insurance-and-its-impact-mortality.
- Chubike, N.E. (2013). Evaluation of National Health Insurance Scheme (NHIS) awareness by civil servants in Enugu and Abakaliki. Int J Med Med Sci, 5(7), 356–358.
- Spaan, E., Mathijssen, J., Tromp, N., McBain, F., ten Have, A., Baltussen, R. (2012). The impact of health insurance in Africa and Asia: a systematic review. Bull World Health Organ, 90(9), 685–692.
- Adewole D, Bolarinwa O, Dairo M. (2016). National Health Insurance Scheme and Universal Health Coverage among Formal Sector Employees in Ilorin, Nigeria: Has Any Progress Been Made? Int J Trop Dis Health, 18(4), 1–10.
- Onyedibe, K.I., Goyit, M.G., Nnadi, N.E. (2012). An evaluation of the national health insurance scheme (NHIS) in Jos, a north-central Nigerian city. Glob Adv Res J Microbiol, 1(1), 5–12.
- Osuchukwu, N.C., Osonwa, K.C., Eko, J.C., Uwanede, C.C., Abeshi, S.E., Offiong, D.A. (2013). Evaluating the Impact of National Health Insurance Scheme on Health Care Consumers in Calabar Metropolis, Southern Nigeria. Int J Learn Dev, 3(4), 30.
- Porter, J.J., Dessai, S., Tompkins, E.L. (2014). What do we know about UK household adaptation to climate change? A systematic review. Clim Change, 127(2), 371–379.
- Ham-Baloyi, W., Jordan, P. (2016). Systematic review as a research method in post-graduate nursing education. Health SA Gesondheid, 21, 120–128.
- Eyong, A.K., Agada, P.O., Asukwo, E.O., Irene, C. (2016). Awareness of National Health Insurance Scheme (NHIS) and Quality of Health Care Services among Civil Servants in Cross River State, Nigeria. Res Humanit Soc Sci, 6(13), 1–10.
- Apeloko, O.D. (2017). Health Insurance Scheme (NHIS) in Nigeria: An Empirical Survey. Int J Polit Good Gov, 8(8), 1–25.
- Adewole, D., Osungbade, K. (2016). Nigeria National Health Insurance Scheme: A Highly Subsidized Health Care Program for a Privileged Few. Int J Trop Dis Health, 19(3), 1–11.
- Ele, G.N., Ochu, U., Odili, V., Okechukwu, R., Ogbonna, B. (2016). Evaluation of the Benefits, Quality of Services and Challenges to the Nigerian National Health Insurance Scheme among Enrollees in a Tertiary Teaching Hospital in Southeast Nigeria. J Adv Med Pharm Sci, 9(3), 1–11.
- Owumi, B.E., Omorogbe, C.E., Raphael, S.C. (2013). An Evaluation of the Impacts of the National Health Insurance Scheme on the Employees’ Health Status at the University of Ibadan. Afr J Soc Sci, 3(3), 40-52.
- Ele, G.N., Brian, O., Uche, M., Valentine, U. (2017). Assessment of National Health Insurance Scheme’s (NHIS) Effectiveness in a Tertiary Teaching Hospital in Southeast Nigeria. J Adv Med Pharm Sci, 13(3), 1–9.
- Mgbe, C.G., Kevin, E.M. (2014). Evaluation of National Health Insurance Scheme: Benefits and Challenges in Eastern Nigeria: A Case Study. South Am J Public Health, 2(4), 491–506.
- Owumi, B.E., Adeoti, A.B., Taiwo, P.A. (2013). National Health Insurance Scheme Dispensing Outreach and Maintenance of Health Status in Oyo State. Int J Humanit Soc Sci Invent, 2(5), 37–46.
- Akande, T., Salaudeen, A., Babatunde, O. (2011). The effects of national health insurance scheme on utilization of health services at Unilorin Teaching Hospital staff clinic, Ilorin, Nigeria. Health Sci J., 5(2), 9.
- Adewole, D.A., Dairo, M.D., Bolarinwa, O.A. (2016). Awareness and Coverage of the National Health Insurance Scheme among Formal Sector Workers in Ilorin, Nigeria. Afr J Biomed Res, 9, 1–10.
- Saksena, P., Antunes, A.F., Xu, K., Musango, L., Carrin, G. (2010). Impact of mutual health insurance on access to health care and financial risk protection in Rwanda. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization; p. 1–10.
- Jembere, M.Y. (2018). The Role of Community Based Health Insurance Scheme on Financial Protection and Healthcare Seeking Behavior of Households in Tehuledere District, Northeast Ethiopia. Int J Health Econ Policy, 3(2), 13.
- Abuosi, A.A., Domfeh, K.A., Abor, J.Y., Nketiah-Amponsah, E. (2016). Health insurance and quality of care: Comparing perceptions of quality between insured and uninsured patients in Ghana’s hospitals. Int J Equity Health, 15(76), 2–11.
- Wang, Z., Li, X., Chen, M., Si, L. (2018). Social health insurance, healthcare utilization, and costs in middle-aged and elderly community-dwelling adults in China. Int J Equity Health, 17(17), 2–13.
- Ataguba, J.E.-O., Goudge, J. (2012). The Impact of Health Insurance on Health-care Utilisation and Out-of-Pocket Payments in South Africa. Geneva Pap Risk Insur – Issues Pract, 37(4), 633–564.
- Michael, G.C., Suleiman, H.H., Grema, B.A., Aliyu, I. (2017). Assessment of level of satisfaction of national health insurance scheme enrolees with services of an accredited health facility in Northern Nigerian. Ann Trop Med Public Health, 10(5), 1271.
- Quynh, N.T.N., Dhar, N. (2014). A study of satisfaction among poor patients holding health insurance card with health care services at two district public hospitals in vietnam. Health Popul – Perspect Issues, 37(1 and 2), 50–56.
- Mohammed, S., Sambo, M.N., Dong, H. (2011). Understanding client satisfaction with a health insurance scheme in Nigeria: factors and enrollees experiences. Health Res Policy Syst, 9(20), 2–8.
- Long, S.K, Dimmock, T.H. (2015). Consumer Satisfaction with Health Insurance Coverage in Massachusetts. AMA J Ethic, 17(7), 656–664.
- Orok, D.A., Usang, A.I., Ikpan, O.O., Duke, E.E., Eyo, E.E., Ekup, E.U., et al. (2016). Prevalence of Malaria and Typhoid Fever Co-infection among Febrile Patients Attending College of Health Technology Medical Centre in Calabar, Cross River State, Nigeria. Int J Curr Microbiol Appl Sci, 5(4), 825–835.
- Andefiki, U., Ibrahim, A., Ushie, E.F. (2014). Prevalence of Malaria and Typhoid Fever Co-infection and the Haematological Profile of Patients Attending Hospitals in Wukari Taraba State, Nigeria. AASCIT J Biosci, 3(6), 79–86.
- Akande, T., Adekunle, S., Babatunde, O. (2011). The effects of national health insurance scheme on utilization of health services at unilorin teaching hospital staff clinic, ilorin, nigeria. Health Sci J, 5(2), 98–106.