, Department of Geography, College of Economic and Social Science, Payam-e- Noor University, Tehran, Iran
, Dr., Assistant Professor, Department of Geography, Bhatter College, Dantan, Vidyasagar University, West Bengal, India
, GIS Division, Aarvee Associate Architect Engineers and Consultant Pvt Ltd, Hyderabad, India
This paper summarizes the arguments and counterarguments within the scientific discussion on the issue of satisfaction level of tourists in Mashhad through an analytical method. The main purpose of the research is to assess the level of socio-cultural and environmental conditions and the tourist ser-vices facilities of Mashhad. Systematization literary sources and approaches for solving the problem of tourism development indicates that the tourism economy in Mashhad has special stability in terms of economic factors. Field studies were conducted during the period between April and June 2014 in the form of a questionnaire. For investigation of the topic, a total of 335 internal tourists in Mashhad were selected. For analyzing data and explaining the subject of the study, Mann-Whitney, Kruskal-Wallis, Spearman, Chi-Square, and one-sample t-tests were used to understand the relationship be-tween tourist experience and socio-cultural as well as environmental conditions and infrastructure facilities respectively. The paper presents the results of an empirical analysis indicated that the tourists were largely satisfied with the socio-cultural and environmental conditions as well as existing infra-structure facilities. Accordingly, no significant (P-value<0.13) difference between men and women tourist population were shown. Meanwhile, the tourists with different levels of education had the same views on the consent for all parameters (Kruskal-Wallis test – 4.035 P-value<0.13) of the tour-ists. The research empirically confirms and theoretically proves that no significant correlation between the length of residence and the level of satisfaction with tourism conditions (r=0/113, P-value<0.038), host society interactions (x2 = 106/107, P-value<0.000) and significant differences between attitudes of men and women (Mann-Whitney = 3753/5, P-value<0.000). Also, tourists with different educa-tional levels had different views considering how to deal with the host community (Kruskal-Wallis test 10.754; P-value<0.005). The results of the research can be useful for sustainable development of the tourism industry and tourism management.
Keywords: tourism industry, suitability analysis, Mashhad.
JEL Classification: Z30, Z32, Z39.
Cite as: Saberifar, R., Chatterjee, U., Bhunia, G. S. (2019). Measuring the Level of Satisfaction with Respect to the Quality of Services Provided by the Local Tourist Destination in Mashhad, Iran. SocioEconomic Challenges, 3(1), 64-71. http://doi.org/10.21272/sec.3(1).64-71.2019.
- Ibrahimpour, Habib and Roshandel, Taher (2011). Investigating the factors influencing the tourism based on the expectations and perceptions of tourists and gap analysis (case study: Regional Tourism Sareinin Ardebil). Business Management, 8, 22-31.
- Imani Khoshkhoo, Mohammad Hossein and Javdaneh, Ali (2011). Satisfaction from the experience of European tourists traveling to Iran. Journal of Tourism and Development, 1(1), 17-30.
- Baiat, Rouhoallah and Fazli, Safar and Marandi, Mahsa (2012). Factors influencing the tourism destination brand image and its impact on the behavior of internal tourists (case study: the city of Qazvin). Tourism Studies, 3(2), 138-122.
- Jomeini, Davoud and Jamshidi, Alireza (2011). Identify and prioritize the factors affecting the level of satisfaction of tourists (Case Study: Border marketplace city Javanrood). Tourism Studies, 2, 200-181.
- Juandi V.S., Andari R., and Setiyorini H.P.D. (2018). The Influence of Sustainable Tourism Development towards Tourists’ Satisfaction in Saung Angklung Udjo. IOP Conf. Series: Earth and Environmental Science, 145.
- Rahnama, Mohammad Rahim and Hoseini Ghafari, Tahereh Sadat and Ashnouie, Amir, Rousta, Mojtaba (2012). Tourism Studies, 2, 89-68.
- Rahnamaei, Mohammad Taghi and Farhoudi, Rahmatoallah and Ditman, Anderias and Ghadami, Mostafa (2008). Study of the area of tourist destination capacity with an emphasis on host community (Case study: the city of Kalardasht). The Study Of Human Geography, 66, 17-33.
- Soltani, Sahar and Shahnoushi, Naser (2011). Prioritizing the major tourist attractions in the city of Mashhad in terms of domestic tourism. Tourism Studies, 1, 5-17.
- Seifodini, Faranak and Shourjeh, Mahmoud (2011). Stretching capacity modeling and management of monuments in tourist areas (Case Study Temple City Kangavar). Tourism Studies. 15(7), 137-177.
- Shaabanifard, Mohammad and Pourahmad, Ahmad and Hoseini, Ali and Rashidi, Mostafa (2009). Investigate the capacity of urban tourism and sustainable tourism cities modeling based on physical dimension (Case study: 12’Th area of Tehran). Journal of Geographical Sciences and Applied Research, 14(11), 47-74.
- Firouzabad,and Anad Imani Jajromi, H (2012). The villagers satisfaction and related factors village-aid functions (Case study: the villages of Qazvin). Rural Research, 3(1), 91-61.
- Gadami, Mostafa (2011). Assessment and strategy codificationwithin the context of sustainable development of tourism destinations, case study: Mashhad metropolitan. Urban And Regional Studies, 3(9), 82-59.
- Nourollahifarakhili, Mahmoud (2004). The impact of religious tourists on the physical transformation of the old areas of city of Mashhad. MS Thesis, University martyr Beheshti.
- Noghani, Mohsen and Ghahrman, Arash and Effati, Sommaieh (2012). Factors influencing the satisfaction of tourists traveling to Mashhad (Case Study: the family foundation of martyr), Tourism Studies, 1(2), 116-136.
- Chi, G. (2005). A study of developing destination loyalty model. Doctoral Dissertation, Oklahoma State University.
- Choi, S. Hwan (2003). Measurement of Sustainable Development progress for Managing Community Tourism, Dissertation for PHD, Texas A&M University.
- Huang, R., & Sarigöllü, E. (2008). Assessing satisfaction with core and secondary attributes. Journal of Business Research, 61(9), 942-949.
- Inskeep, E. (2015). National and regional tourism planning: methodologies and case studies. London: Rutledge.
- Saberifar, R., Shokri, H., & Mohamadnejad, M. (2015). Urban sustainable development. Mashhad, Omid Meher.
- Statistics of Mashhad (2018). Deputy of planning and development of Municipality, Mashhad.
- Truong, T. H., & Foster, D. (2006). Using HOLSAT to evaluate tourist satisfaction at destinations: The case of Australian holidaymakers in Vietnam. Tourism Management, 27, 842-855.
- Wong, J., & Law, R. (2003). Difference in Shopping Satisfaction Levels: A Study of Tourists in Hong Kong. Tourism Management, 24, 401-410.