, PhD Candidate, University Kaposvár, Hungary; Director Operations Engineering Electronics & Head of Corporate Competence Center Industry 4.0, HELLA GmbH & Co. KGaA, Germany
, PhD Candidate, University Kaposvár, Hungary; Senior Referent Data Analytics, S Rating und Risikosysteme GmbH, Germany
, PhD Candidate, University Kaposvár, Hungary; Head of Major Project Service, German Doka formwork technology GmbH, Germany
This paper summarizes current corporate policy activities through Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR). In this context, the use of Big Data & Analytics (BD&A) will be discussed. The main purpose of the research is the pursuit of CSR, as the topic has been enormously advanced for companies in recent years. And there are many reasons for this. The consumption of the environment, the deposition of residues into air, ground and water by companies and also the labor conditions within the work environment is on outmost interest of the society. Companies try to avoid respectively reduce the negative impact that comes along with their value creation processes due to their competitive situation, public pressure, marketing reasons or because they are forced by legal requirements and regulations. Those improvements are often publicized in CSR/sustainability reports. Many companies set themselves CSR targets that refer to a particular baseline. With doing so the companies can find the right areas for improvement, measure their progress, apply different methodologies and create measures to further enhance their situation. Some of those measures are driven by digitalization and with the progress that is made within this area of research new opportunities to reduce the negative impact arise. The potential that lies within digitalization to improve CSR indicators is widely underestimated. To emphasize the impact that digitalization can have on the value creation process, a very specific methodology from the field of digitalization, the analysis of big data, was chosen exemplarily for this analysis. The systematization of research and approaches to solving the problem will show that Big Data & Analytics is underemployed in the area of Corporate Social Responsibility. The research results summarized in the paper confirm and prove that companies need not be primarily interested in CSR. Economic interests usually go hand in hand with this. To make Big Data & Analytics a contributor to Corporate Social Responsibility investments are necessary. The potential of Big Data & Analytics that is elaborated in this article can help to justify the investments into this field of application. The paper is processed in the following logical order: After an introductory section, Big Data & Analytics will present its contribution to Corporate Social Responsibility. After establishing a hypothesis, the analysis part comes in the form of a field application. In the further course, the influence of CSR on the Internet of Things (IoT) will be dealt with in a business case. The article will give an insight into the sustainability reports of the companies BMW, Deutsche Telekom and the Linde Group. The topics CSR and BD&A in the automotive industry will be investigated, as well. The expected savings in energy consumption by BD&DA are discussed here. The paper is concluded with a critical appraisal.
Keywords: big data & analytics, corporate social responsibility (csr), data analytics, energy consumption, investment decision, sustainability.
JEL Classification: L62, Q56.
Cite as: Hammerström, L., Giebe, C., Zwerenz, D. (2019). Influence of Big Data & Analytics on Corporate Social Responsibility. SocioEconomic Challenges, 3(3), 47-60. http://doi.org/10.21272/sec.3(3).47-60.2019.
- Anderl, Reiner et al. (2016). Fortschreibung der Anwendungsszenarien der Plattform Industrie 4.0; Bundesministerium für Wirtschaft und Energie (MMWi) Öffentlichkeitsarbeit, 11019 Berlin; http://www.plattform-i40.de/I40/Redaktion/DE/Downloads/Publikation/fortschreibung-anwendungsszenarien.pdf?__blob=publicationFile&v=7.
- Annual report DAIMLER AG (2009). Available at: daimler-ir-geschaeftsbericht-2009.pdf; https://www.daimler.com/dokumente/investoren/berichte/geschaeftsberichte/daimler/daimler-ir-geschaeftsbericht-2009.pdf.
- Annual report DAIMLER AG (2011). Available at: daimler-ir-geschaeftsbericht-2011.pdf; https://www.daimler.com/dokumente/investoren/berichte/geschaeftsberichte/daimler/daimler-ir-geschaeftsbericht-2011.pdf.
- Annual report DAIMLER AG (2014). Available at: daimler-ir-geschaeftsbericht-2014.pdf; https://www.daimler.com/dokumente/investoren/berichte/geschaeftsberichte/daimler/daimler-ir-geschaeftsbericht-2014.pdf.
- Annual report DAIMLER AG (2016). Available at: daimler-ir-geschaeftsbericht-2016.pdf; https://www.daimler.com/dokumente/investoren/berichte/geschaeftsberichte/daimler/daimler-ir-geschaeftsbericht-2016.pdf.
- BMW-Group-Nachhaltigkeitsbericht (2016). Available at: https://www.bmwgroup.com/content/dam/bmw-group-websites/bmwgroup_com/ir/downloads/de/2016/BMW-Group-Nachhaltigkeitsbericht-2016–DE.pdf.
- Boyd, D., & Crawford, K. (2011, September). Six provocations for big data. In A decade in internet time: Symposium on the dynamics of the internet and society (Vol. 21). Oxford, UK: Oxford Internet Institute.
- Brakman, S., Garretsen, H., Van Marrewijk, C., & Van Witteloostuijn, A. (2006). Nations and firms in the global economy: an introduction to international economics and business. Cambridge university press.
- Carroll, A. B. (1991). The pyramid of corporate social responsibility: Toward the moral management of organizational stakeholders. Business horizons, 34(4), 39-48.
- Colotla, Ian et al (2018). Avoiding the Hidden Hazards of Industry 4.0; https://www.bcg.com/publications/2018/avoiding-hidden-hazards-industry-4.0.aspx.
- Chung, J. O., & Hsu, S. H. (2017). The effect of cognitive moral development on honesty in managerial reporting. Journal of Business Ethics, 145(3), 563-575.
- Foresight for digital development; Report for the Secretary-General; Commission on Science and Technology for Development; Nineteenth session; Geneva, 9-13 May 2016.
- G20 Digital Economy Ministerial Declaration; Shaping Digitalization for an Interconnected World; Düsseldorf, 6-7 April 2017.
- Harnessing the Power of Connectivity; Mapping your transformation into a digital economy with GCI (2017).
- Innovationen & Produkte – The Linde Group Corporate Responsibility Report (2016). Available at: corporateresponsibility.linde.de/cr-bericht/2016/unternehmensfuehrung/innovationen-produkte.html.
- Houston, C., Gooberman-Hill, S., Mathie, R., Kennedy, A., Li, Y., & Baiz, P. (2017). Case Study for the Return on Investment of Internet of Things Using Agent-Based Modelling and Data Science. Systems, 5(1), 4.
- Kauflin, Jeff: The most attractive employers for business students in 2017; https://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffkauflin/2017/04/27/the-most-attractive-employers-for-business-students-in-2017/#4c3192994dd7.
- Key Performance Indicator (KPI), Gabler Wirtschaftslexikon, http://wirtschaftslexikon.gabler.de/Definition/key-performance-indicator-kpi.html.
- McAfee, A. (2009). Enterprise 2.0: New collaborative tools for your organization’s toughest challenges. Harvard Business Press.
- Nunan, D., & Di Domenico, M. (2017). Big data: a normal accident waiting to happen?. Journal of Business Ethics, 145(3), 481-491.
- OECD Digital Economy Outlook 2017, OECD Publishing; doi: 10.1787/9789264276284-en.
- Ökonomische, ökologische und soziale Leistung; http://corporateresponsibility.linde.de/cr-bericht/2016/serviceseiten/downloads/files/input_output_linde_crb2016.pdf.
- Ostrom, E., & Hess, C. (2010). Private and common property rights. Property law and economics, 5, 53.
- Ranking_Nachhaltigkeitsberichte_2015_Ergebnisbericht_mit_Branchenauswertung.pdf; http://www.ranking-nachhaltigkeitsberichte.de/data/ranking/user_upload/2015/Ranking_Nachhaltigkeitsberichte_2015_Ergebnisbericht_mit_Branchenauswertung.pdf.
- Remus, D., & Levy, F. (2017). Can robots be lawyers: Computers, lawyers, and the practice of law. Geo. J. Legal Ethics, 30, 501.
- Richards, N. M., & King, J. H. (2014). Big data ethics. Wake Forest L. Rev., 49, 393.
- Rohrbeck, R., & Schwarz, J. O. (2013). The value contribution of strategic foresight: Insights from an empirical study of large European companies. Technological Forecasting and Social Change, 80(8), 1593-1606.
- Spector, B. (2008). “Business Responsibilities in a Divided World”: The Cold War Roots of the Corporate Social Responsibility Movement. Enterprise & Society, 9(2), 314-336.
- tk: größte Wälzlager der Welt, stahl-online.de; https://www.stahl-online.de/index.php/tk-groesste-waelzlager-der-welt/.
- United States Securities and Exchange Commission; annual report pursuant to section 13 or 15(d) of the securities exchange act fo 1934, for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2012; commission file number 001-34960, GENERAL MOTORS COMPANY; Form 10-K; Washington, DC.
- United States Securities and Exchange Commission; annual report pursuant to section 13 or 15(d) of the securities exchange act fo 1934, for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2014; commission file number 001-34960, GENERAL MOTORS COMPANY; Form 10-K; Washington, DC.
- United States Securities and Exchange Commission; annual report pursuant to section 13 or 15(d) of the securities exchange act fo 1934, for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2016; commission file number 001-34960, GENERAL MOTORS COMPANY; Form 10-K; Washington, DC.
- United States Securities and Exchange Commission; annual report pursuant to section 13 or 15(d) of the securities exchange act fo 1934, for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2010; commission file number 001-34960, GENERAL MOTORS COMPANY; Form 10-K; Washington, DC.
- VOLKSWAGEN Aktiengesellschaft; Geschäftsbericht 2008; https://www.volkswagen-media-services.com/documents/10541/126436/GB_2008_D.PDF.
- VOLKSWAGEN Aktiengesellschaft; Geschäftsbericht 2010; http://www.equitystory.com/Download/Companies/VW/Annual%20Reports/DE0007664039-JA-2010-EQ-D-00.pdf.
- VOLKSWAGEN Aktiengesellschaft; Geschäftsbericht 2013; http://www.equitystory.com/download/companies/VW/Annual%20Reports/DE0007664039-JA-2013-EQ-D-00.pdf.
- Zadek, S. (2012). The civil corporation. Routledge.