PhD in Economics, Senior Researcher at ‘AMBERD’ Research Center of the Armenian State University of Economics, Professor at the Public Administration Academy of the Republic of Armenia, The Republic of Armenia
PhD in Economics, Docent at Armenian National Agrarian University, The Republic of Armenia
The article examines the issues of security and protection of the consumers rights of tourist services. The relevance of the chosen direction of research is due to the rapid increase in the number of trips of citizens, increasing the number of threats (terrorism, civil wars, political conflicts, revolutions, epidemics, natural disasters), which are becoming more destructive and less predictable. The purpose of the study is to analyze the current position of Armenia in international rankings and indices that assess the state of tourism safety and security. The study used methods of descriptive statistics, observation, comparison and questionnaires. The information base of the study was data from international ratings and indices (Competitiveness Index in Travel and Tourism, Global Peace Index, Global Terrorism Index), as well as the results of a survey on the level of tourist satisfaction with services in Armenia. It is substantiated that the tourism industry helps to increase foreign exchange earnings, intensifies investment activities, influences the creation of new jobs, as well as promotes a positive image of the state in the international arena. The analysis of the rating positions of Armenia in different international reports allows us to say about its safety and security for travelers. The results of the survey indicate that about 87% of tourists consider Armenia a safe country and are satisfied with the quality of tourist services in this country. It is proposed to improve the national migration and visa policy, to promote Armenia as a safe destination for tourists and to develop the international cooperation in the field of tourism. The results of the study can be useful for public administration, the private sector, as well as for researchers in the tourism industry.
Keywords: tourism, safety, security, terrorism, crime, Armenia.
JEL Classification: Z3, L83, R41.
Cite as: Tovmasyan, G., Tovmasyan, R. (2020). Tourism Safety And Security In The Republic Of Armenia. SocioEconomic Challenges, 4(2), 14-22. https://doi.org/10.21272/sec.4(2).14-22.2020.
- Altindag, D.T. (2014). Crime and International Tourism. Journal of Labor Research, 35, 1–14 https://doi.org/10.1007/s12122-014-9174-8. (Accessed: 20.03.2020)
- Brondoni, S. M. (2016). Global Tourism and Terrorism. Safety and Security Management, Symphonya. Emerging Issues in Management, 2, 7-16. http://dx.doi.org/10.4468/2016.2.02brondoni, (Accessed: 20.03.2020)
- Country Reports on Terrorism – Statistical Annex, https://www.start.umd.edu/research-projects/country-reports-terrorism-statistical-annex. (Accessed: 20.03.2020)
- Fourie J., Rosselló-Nadal J., Santana-Gallego M., (2020). Fatal Attraction: How Security Threats Hurt Tourism, Journal of travel research, 59(2), 209-219. https://doi.org/10.1177/0047287519826208, (Accessed: 20.03.2020)
- Global Terrorism in 2018, https://www.start.umd.edu/sites/default/files/publications/local_attachments/START_GTD_Terrorismin2018Overview_FactSheet_Oct2019.pdf. (Accessed: 20.03.2020)
- Institute for Economics & Peace. Global Peace Index 2019: Measuring Peace in a Complex World, Sydney, June 2019. http://visionofhumanity.org/app/uploads/2019/06/GPI-2019-web003.pdf. (Accessed: 20.03.2020)
- Institute for Economics & Peace. Global Terrorism Index 2019: Measuring the Impact of Terrorism, Sydney, November 2019, http://visionofhumanity.org/app/uploads/2019/11/GTI-2019web.pdf. (Accessed: 20.03.2020)
- Kôvári I., Zimányi K., (2011). Safety and security in the age of global tourism (The changing role and conception of Safety and Security in Tourism), Applied Studies in Agribusiness and Commerce – APSTRACT Agroinform Publishing House, Budapest, pp. 59-61, 10.19041/Apstract/2011/3-4/10, (Accessed: 20.03.2020)
- Law of the Republic of Armenia on Foreigners, adopted in 2006, https://www.arlis.am/DocumentView.aspx?docid=99037. (Accessed: 20.03.2020)
- Law on ”Tourism and tourism activities” of the RA, adopted in 2003, https://www.arlis.am/DocumentView.aspx?DocID=64659. (Accessed: 20.03.2020)
- List of countries whose citizens with all types of passports are unilaterally exempt from the requirement to obtain a visa to enter the Republic of Armenia, https://www.mfa.am/en/visafreelist. (Accessed: 20.03.2020)
- List of countries, with which Armenia has a visa-free regime according to bilateral and multilateral agreements, https://www.mfa.am/en/whoneedvisa. (Accessed: 20.03.2020)
- Mansfeld Y., Pizam A. (2006). Tourism, Security and Safety, From Theory to Practice, ISBN 978-0-7506-7898-8, 376 p. https://www.sciencedirect.com/book/9780750678988/tourism-security-and-safety, (Accessed: 20.03.2020)
- Media. Like in Sri Lanka, terrorism is possible also in India and Maldives, 2019, http://www.panarmenian.net/arm/news/268199/%D5%BE, (Accessed: 20.03.2020)
- Pizam A., Tarlow P. E., Bloom J. (1997) Making Tourists Feel Safe: Whose Responsibility is it? Journal of travel research, 36(1), 23-28, https://doi.org/10.1177/004728759703600104, (Accessed: 20.03.2020)
- Sri Lanka blasts: Death toll reaches 321, 2019, https://news.am/arm/news/508805.html. (Accessed: 20.03.2020)
- Social-economic situation in January–December, 2019, p. 152, https://www.armstat.am/file/article/sv_12_19a_520.pdf. (Accessed: 20.03.2020)
- Social-economic situation in January, 2020, p. 112, https://www.armstat.am/file/article/sv_01_20a_421.pdf. (Accessed: 20.03.2020)
- Social-economic situation in January–December, 2019, p. 153-154, https://www.armstat.am/file/article/sv_12_19a_520.pdf. (Accessed: 20.03.2020)
- The Travel and Tourism Competitiveness Report 2019, p. 71, http://www3.weforum.org/docs/WEF_TTCR_2019.pdf. (Accessed: 20.03.2020)
- The Travel & Tourism Competitiveness Index 2019 edition, Armenia, http://reports.weforum.org/pdf/ttci-2019/WEF_TTCI_2019_Profile_ARM.pdf. (Accessed: 20.03.2020)
- Tovmasyan, G. (2019) Assessment of Tourist Satisfaction Index: Evidence from Armenia. Marketing and Management of Innovations, 3, 22-32. http://doi.org/10.21272/mmi.2019.3-02. (Accessed: 20.03.2020)
- Types of Armenian Visas, https://www.mfa.am/en/visa. (Accessed: 20.03.2020)
- UNWTO (2020), COVID-19: UNWTO calls on tourism to be part of recovery plans, https://unwto.org/news/covid-19-unwto-calls-on-tourism-to-be-part-of-recovery-plans. (Accessed: 20.03.2020)
- Walsh, D. (2015). Tunisia Beach Terror Attack will Cost Tour Operator up to €40m, The Times, August 14, https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/tunisia-beach-terror-attack-will-cost-tour-operator-up-to-euro40m-kfjd6xkmp5b, (Accessed: 20.03.2020)
- WTO, (1996) Tourist Safety and Security: Practical Measures for Destinations, p. 17-18, https://www.e-unwto.org/doi/book/10.18111/9789284401529. (Accessed: 20.03.2020)
- Zillman, C. (2015). Terrorism’s Effect on Tourism Doesn’t Last Very Long, Fortune, November 30., https://fortune.com/2015/11/30/terrorism-tourism-paris/. (Accessed: 20.03.2020)