PhD in Economics, Senior researcher at AMBERD Research Center of Armenian State University of Economics, Lecturer at Public Administration Academy of the Republic of Armenia, the Republic of Armenia
Doctor of Economics, Professor, Senior Expert at ”AMBERD” Research Center of the Armenian State University of Economics, the Republic of Armenia
MA student of Public Management at ASUE, the Republic of Armenia
MA student of Business administration at ASUE, the Republic of Armenia
MA student of Project Management at ASUE, the Republic of Armenia
MA student of Project Management at ASUE, the Republic of Armenia
The following paper summarizes the arguments and counterarguments within the scientific discussion on the issues of agritourism development issues in rural places. Agritourism development is a good source for rural development, as it will contribute to the investments in villages, increase rural income, emlpoyment, etc. The main purpose of the article is to analyze agritourism development opportunities and issues in Armenian rural places. The analysis was carried out in Armenian two regions: Lori and Tavush. The investigation of the topic and the results of the analysis state that Armenian regions Lori and Tavush have opportunities to develop different types of tourism based on existing resource potential: historical-cultural, eco, agro, gastronomic, adventure, etc. The research empirically confirms and theoretically proves the existing problems that hinder agritourism development. For the analysis a survey and observation methods were used. Survey was done among village heads and local population-hosts. The main results of the research are then analyzed via SWOT analysis, based on which some suggestions were made. The main conclusion is that it is necessary to implement various actions for agritourism development, such as: involving investments, improving roads and infrastructures, improving legislation and statistics, organizing trainings for hosts and farmers, improving marketing, etc. The development of agritourism will contribute to the development of the community and the whole country, will increase incomes, spread and preserve culture, increase motivation to live in villages, will form a civil society, as constant contact with tourists, continuous development of business skills and aspirations, will enlarge the worldview of population and will contribute to their understanding of the most important problem of preserving the Armenian culture. The results of the research can be useful for the state and municipal organs, private sector, also for researchers of tourism sphere.
Keywords: agritourism, infrastructures, marketing, rural places, tourism, villages.
JEL Classification: L83, Z32.
Cite as: Tovmasyan, G., Avetisyan, S., Galustyan, I., Tatosyan, K., Mirijanyan, L., Rushanyan, A. (2020). Agritourism Development Issues In Rural Places: Evidence From Armenia
. SocioEconomic Challenges, 4(4), 29-38. https://doi.org/10.21272/sec.4(4).29-38.2020
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License
- Anand, A., Chandan, P., Singh, R. B. (2012). Homestays at Korzok: Supplementing rural livelihoods and supporting green tourism in the Indian Himalayas. Mountain Research and Development, 32, 126-136. Available at: https://doi.org/10.1659/MRD-JOURNAL-D-11-00109.1.
- Barbieri C., Xu S., Gil-Arroyo C., Rozier Rich S. (2015). Agritourism, Farm Visit, or . . . ? A Branding Assessment for Recreation on Farms. Journal of Travel Research, 55(8), 1094-1108. Available at: https://doi.org/10.1177/0047287515605930.
- Brune S., Knollenberg W., Stevenson K. T., Barbieri C., Schroeder-Moreno M. (2020). The Influence of Agritourism Experiences on Consumer Behavior toward Local Food, Journal of Travel Research, https://doi.org/10.1177/0047287520938869.
- Ciolac R., Adamov, Iancu T., Popescu G., Lile R., Rujescu C. and Marin D. (2019). Agritourism-A Sustainable Development Factor for Improving the ‘Health’ of Rural Settlements. Case Study Apuseni Mountains Area, Sustainability, 11(5), 1467. Available at: https://doi.org/10.3390/su11051467.
- Gannon, A. (1994). Rural Tourism As A Factor İn Rural Community Economic Development For Economies İn Transition. Journal of Sustainable Tourism, 2(1 + 2), 51–60. Available at: DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/09669589409510683.
- Iorio, M., Corsale, A. (2010). Rural tourism and livelihood strategies in Romania. Journal of Rural Studies, 26, 152-162. Available at: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jrurstud.2009.10.006.
- Jȩczmyk A., Uglis J., Graja-Zwolińska S., Maćkowiak M., Spychała A., Sikora J. (2015). Research Note:Economic Benefits of Agritourism Development in Poland — An Empirical Study. Tourism Economics, 21(5), 1120-1126. Available at: https://doi.org/10.5367/te.2014.0391.
- Lagravinese R. (2013). Rural tourism and ancient traditions: Evidence from Italian regions, Local Economy. The Journal of the Local Economy Policy Unit, 28(6), 614-626, Available at: https://doi.org/10.1177/0269094213496612.
- Loureiro S. M. C., Breazeale M.l, Radic A. (2019). Happiness with rural experience: Exploring the role of tourist mindfulness as a moderator. Journal of Vacation Marketing, 25(3), 279-300. Available at: https://doi.org/10.1177/1356766719849975.
- Melstrom R.T., Murphy C. (2017). Do Agritourism Visitors Care about Landscapes? An Examination with Producer-Level Data. Journal of Travel Research, 57(3), 360-369. Available at: https://doi.org/10.1177/0047287517696981.
- Properties inscribed on the World Heritage List, http://whc.unesco.org/en/statesparties/am (accessed 09.09.2020).
- RA Statistical Committee, https://www.armstat.am/en/ (accessed 09.09.2020).
- Roget F. M., González X. A. R., (2006). Rural tourism demand in Galicia, Spain. Tourism Economics, 12 (1), 21–31. Available at: https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf/10.5367/000000006776387178 (accessed 09.09.2020).
- The Ministry of Education, Science, Culture and Sports of the Republic of Armenia, the data are based on the calculations of the Research Center of Historical and Cultural Heritage.
- The socio-economic situation in the RA in 2019 January-December, p. 139. Available at: https://www.armstat.am/file/article/sv_12_19a_421.pdf (accessed 09.09.2020).
- Tovmasyan G. (2020). What was the sphere of tourism in Armenia like in 2019? What to expect in 2020 in the context of coronavirus. Available at: https://asue.am/amberd/publication/analytics/what-was-the-ra-tourism-sphere-in-2019-and-what-to-wait-for-2020-in-the-coronavirus-context (accessed 09.09.2020).
- Tovmasyan (2019). The opportunities of agritourism development in the Republic of Armenia, Annals of Agrarian Science, 17, 298-303. Available at: http://journals.org.ge/index.php/aans/issue/view/ Vol%2017%20No%203%20%282019%29%3A%20Annals%20of%20Agrarian%20Science/3, (accessed 09.09.2020).
- Urry, J. (2002). The Tourist Gaze. 2nd ed. London, UK: Sage. Available at: http://www.research.lancs.ac.uk/portal/en/publications/the-tourist-gaze-2nd-edition(47bc0a1d-f728-4faa-9cbe-36550b1993fc)/export.html.
- Wilson S., Fesenmaier D., Fesenmaier J., Van Es J. C. (2001). Factors for Success in Rural Tourism Development. Journal of Travel Research, 40(2), 132-138. Available at: https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf/10.1177/004728750104000203 (accessed 09.09.2020).
- Xue L., Kerstetter D. (2018). Rural Tourism and Livelihood Change: An Emic Perspective. Journal of Hospitality & Tourism Research. 43(3), 416-437. Available at: https://doi.org/10.1177/1096348018807289.